X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arab League to ask UN for imposing no-fly zone over Gaza

Arab League to ask UN for imposing no-fly zone over Gaza
    English.news.cn 2011-04-11 05:53:14 FeedbackPrintRSS

CAIRO, April 10 (Xinhua) -- The Arab League (AL) said on Sunday it would ask the United Nations to consider imposing a no-fly zone over the Gaza Stripe to protect the civilians against Israeli air strikes.

In a statement issued after an emergency meeting of the pan- Arab organization at the permanent delegates' level in its Cairo headquarter, the AL said it would ask the United Nation Security Council to convene an emergency meeting to discuss the Israeli aggression over Gaza to lift the siege and impose a no-fly zone against the Israeli military to protect civilians.

The statement rejected the double standard policies towards the Palestinian case, urging the UN Security Council and the Quartet committee to bear all responsibilities for halting the subsequent massacres and provide an international protection for the unarmed citizens.

The AL also called upon the international community to take all necessary measures and procedures to deter Israel from continuing committing war crimes against humanity.

Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa affirmed after the meeting that the Arabs' stand toward the Palestinian cause remains steadfast despite the recent incidents engulfing some Arab countries.

The AL meeting was held upon a request from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to discuss the Israeli attacks in Gaza.

Since Thursday, Israeli artillery and helicopters have been shelling different locations across the Gaza strip, killing about 19 Palestinians and injuring 62 others.

Through the Security Council, the Palestinians want " international sanctions on Israel to force it to stop escalation in Gaza and the campaign of terror in the West Bank," said Saleh Ra'fat, a member of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization on Sunday.

Violence in Gaza started when Hamas, which holds sway there, fired a rocket at an Israeli school bus, critically wounding a 16- year-old student. Hamas later said it did not know the bus was carrying students.

Ahmad Bahar, a Hamas official, said on Sunday that his movement hopes the AL would take practical decisions stopping the Israeli attacks and supporting the Palestinians. He also called for the lifting of Israeli closure that was imposed on Gaza when Hamas seized control there in 2007.
    Editor: Mu Xuequan
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Well if we can do it for the Libyans...

So what happens when Hamas fires rockets at Israel? Is the UN allowed to bomb the crap out of Gaza?
    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Even if such a resolution passes in UN who would be willing to enforce it?

If I was a member of Arab League I would push more twd a cease fire than a no fly zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
        Even if such a resolution passes in UN who would be willing to enforce it?

If I was a member of Arab League I would push more twd a cease fire than a no fly zone.
        Well the French obviously
        The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Chakos Reply

"Well the French obviously"

Ya think?

Discretion is the better part of valor. I think the U.N. should approve it and then call for a coalition of the willing to enforce such. Mandate or not, we'll see who's the ballz to fly against a nation determined to defend itself.

I see Syria and Yemen shot more of their citizens in the streets yesterday while demonstrations against the generals broke out in Cairo. Arab League are self-serving azz-holes.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
            Well the French obviously
            It would be interesting seeing a French R.530 interceptining and shooting down a Qassam rocket in mid-flight. No fly means no fly, right UN??

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post

I see Syria and Yemen shot more of their citizens in the streets yesterday while demonstrations against the generals broke out in Cairo. Arab League are self-serving azz-holes.
              Thats about the size of it all. I'd imagine the Arab League is more self serving than a paedophile in Toys R Us.
              Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
              X