No announcement yet.

Crewman Kills Officer On Great Britain's Newest Submarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps somebody here can correct me but I believe U.S. Marines pull deckside security for our docked boomers and attack subs.

Perhaps that's not the case in the R.N. If I understand matters, this submariner was assigned to a security watch while in harbor.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
      Perhaps somebody here can correct me but I believe U.S. Marines pull deckside security for our docked boomers and attack subs.

Perhaps that's not the case in the R.N. If I understand matters, this submariner was assigned to a security watch while in harbor.

Thank you S2, that explanation makes sense - his superiors probably didn't realized his mental state had deteriorated so much, since potential submariners are normally checked pretty carefully before being assigned to this kind of duty.

What a tragic event, I really feel for the murdered officer's kids, what a shame.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Mr Donovan , the killer has just received 25 years , sooooo 25 years of taxpayers hard earned cash to keep him in board n lodgings :slap: , should have just keel hauled the bastard .

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
          Mr Donovan , the killer has just received 25 years , sooooo 25 years of taxpayers hard earned cash to keep him in board n lodgings :slap: , should have just keel hauled the bastard .
          Just kind of surprised that he would have been armed with an auto weapon aboard even as a sentry. Particularly below decks on a sub. Doesnt the RN believe in an onboard armory? I mean the USN has armed sentries with autos on patrol too but in the confined spaces of a submarine with so much to damage with multiple round bursts?

Troubling....
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 20 Sep 11,, 02:21.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            Just kind of surprised that he would have been armed with an auto weapon aboard even as a sentry. Particularly below decks on a sub. Doesnt the RN believe in an onboard armory? I mean the USN has armed sentries with autos on patrol too but in the confined spaces of a submarine with so much to damage with multiple round bursts?

Troubling....
            He was a crewman given guard duty and therefore he has to use his personal issued weapon, in his case an SA80. All the crews weapons are locked in a secure armstore aboard the vessel and issued for guard, security and ceremonial duties. I wouldn't have thought his guard duty would have involved patrolling inside the vessel but the areas outside checking on personnel leaving and returning, visitors etc.

Comment

Working...
            X