X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
    Why? Do you think I'm nuts or what?
    I meant the company not you.

You try buying food for 4 different places when your never sure when you'll be there or at what time!
    Ego Numquam

Comment

Whew! Beans and rice for a year? I see your point about bulk, and I have done that as well. I like the variety and flavor of the Wise foodstuffs though. Simple, tasty, no additives. I realize it isn't cheap, but nothing good ever is. Besides, I still have a garden and plenty of wildlife. This is just bugout/bugin and last resort food.

I will be checking on the Auguson farms stuff though. Thanks for the cue.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
        I meant the company not you.

You try buying food for 4 different places when your never sure when you'll be there or at what time!
        Mountain house is another one, but I am partial to Wise foods. The stuff is really, really tasty. Lots of people eat it everyday just because compared to grocery prices, its a bargain. You can get to around $1.50 a meal if you buy in bulk.

Comment

Z,

I just checked Augusons website and it has two adults for a year at $3185. Granted, PF is $6200 for a year. but it individual servings, no refrigeration required after opening because you eat it. I find that in the survival game(I have experience at this) you don't get to save anything that requires refrigeration or can't get wet. That's why MRE's are single serving.

Comment

Mountain house is another one, but I am partial to Wise foods. The stuff is really, really tasty. Lots of people eat it everyday just because compared to grocery prices, its a bargain. You can get to around $1.50 a meal if you buy in bulk.
            Shipping to oz is a pain :(
            Ego Numquam

Comment

Z,

I just checked Augusons website and it has two adults for a year at $3185. Granted, PF is $6200 for a year. but it individual servings, no refrigeration required after opening because you eat it. I find that in the survival game(I have experience at this) you don't get to save anything that requires refrigeration or can't get wet. That's why MRE's are single serving.
              Augason Farms™ Food Storage 1 Year Kit for 4 People - Sam's Club

Sams club discount.

In an emergency, rule #1 with food is clean your plate lol.

Whew! Beans and rice for a year? I see your point about bulk, and I have done that as well. I like the variety and flavor of the Wise foodstuffs though. Simple, tasty, no additives. I realize it isn't cheap, but nothing good ever is. Besides, I still have a garden and plenty of wildlife. This is just bugout/bugin and last resort food.
              Beans and Rice keep longer than even freeze dried foods. They are also high energy per volume. (2226 per pound uncooked dry rice and 2022 for red beans)

BTW, thanks to the conversation I realized I am low on salt.

7th for variety I prefer a mix of snack and health foods to keep vitamin counts and appetite up.

And speaking of bugin.... Arkansas is under the gun tonight for tornadoes. We have had multiple warnings already tonight.

Comment

Zraver, was the Arkansas always a tornado alley or did it happen in the recent times? We have a lots of clay here too, in recent times there is a substantial top soil degradation due to rainfall and cultivation. In some areas of my village it is a real pain to cultivate the land due to high clay content within the soil.

Heck, ten years ago, my younger brother, while cultivating the field found the mastodon tooth just an inch beneath the surface...Lucky find or a bad omen, remains to bee seen.
                Last edited by Versus; 15 Apr 11,, 06:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                  Zraver, was the Arkansas always a tornado alley or did it happen in the recent times?
                  Arkansas has always been part of tornado and ice alley. In fact I had to rush the family to the shelter earlier. We had parts of the area getting egg and tea cup sized hail. Known numbers so far are 50,000 people without power, 2 dead, 2 injured, 2 house fires, 1 ruptured gas line and major roads blocked with downed trees.

Tornadoes are terrifying, but ice storms wreck your life for days. Because we get near arctic cold from the north and near tropical heat from the south in the winter if the winds roll the right way and the hot air slides over the cold air and rains the rain reaches freezing temp and freezes on contact. It can rapidly build up massive amounts of weight and snap trees and power poles.

Comment

I've got lots of acidic gray clay in my location, it has taken a few years of adding compost, limestone, ashes, manure, peat moss and sand to loosen it up and get the ph right, this year I am adding a couple yards of pearlite to it. It can take several years to condition poor soil, but the results are worth the effort.
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

We had one confirmed tornado and two unconfirmed, for the first time, last year. I am expecting in a two to three years that we will have first F class ones,considering the climate shift, if not sooner. Also massive flooding events are getting more and more common. Due to severe drought in Russia, we were exporting food products like crazy which lead to shortages and massive price spikes, first the cooking oil,than milk and this year sugar. Our govt has placed the ban on wheat exports (like that is going to bring any good) but things are slowly but surly getting critical by each passing year. Not much room for hope I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                        Let me see if I get this one right.
                        In the presence of cheap land based oil drilling it is not economically viable to drill in the ocean depths. Therefore what was uneconomic than becomes economic when price go up. When the price goes up to the next level it will be economical to process tar sands,oil shale, coal to oil etc. As prices go up, that creates more wealth that is than used for exploration and technology breakthroughs,right?

It doesn't work that way.
                        How does it work then ?

As for survival, i live in a city, there will always be food here as it fetches a higher price than in the country. Same reason Basmati rice costs less per pound in Sam's club than it does in the market over here and it was grown here in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          How does it work then ?

As for survival, i live in a city, there will always be food here as it fetches a higher price than in the country. Same reason Basmati rice costs less per pound in Sam's club than it does in the market over here and it was grown here in the first place.
                          I personally think cities will be a death-trap. If we are assuming a civilizational collapse then the links and transportation between rural and city will collapse, so will the fiscal system. You will just have competition for limited resources, particularly in cities like Mumbai, which is reliant on the aforementioned mode of transport to supply food, eventually there will be a massive population crash. Buy a nice beachside property in Kerala and enjoy it :D
                          "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                            I've got lots of acidic gray clay in my location, it has taken a few years of adding compost, limestone, ashes, manure, peat moss and sand to loosen it up and get the ph right, this year I am adding a couple yards of pearlite to it. It can take several years to condition poor soil, but the results are worth the effort.

Damn! And I b1tch about the rocks here!! I just had to haul in sand and mushroom compost and I though that was alot!! I think I got it good compared to you.

Comment

7th, what would be your estimate on the minimum acreage to support 4 people?
                              "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                                7th, what would be your estimate on the minimum acreage to support 4 people?
                                There is an actual table to calculate this, of which I do not recall at the moment, but it figures crop and livestock support. Livestock like cattle require the most. Then sheep/goats then chickens. Chickens are the best small protien source because of eggs, meat and reproductive time.

IIRC, about ten acres will support 4 with 2 to 4 acres in crops and the rest in small stock like goats and chickens, and that is minimal. It also depends on your climate, geography, soil, weather activity, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X