Afghan Mob Kills 10 UN Workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghan Mob Kills 10 UN Workers

first of all- WTF, how were the guards disarmed. second, find the murderous imam whom incited the mob and hang him by his worthless neck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/wo...nistan.html?hp

Afghan Mob Kills 10 United Nations Workers
    By ROD NORDLAND
    Published: April 1, 2011

KABUL, Afghanistan — Protesters angered by the burning of a Koran by a fringe American pastor in Florida mobbed offices of the United Nations in northern Afghanistan on Friday, killing ten foreign staff members and beheading two of the victims, according to an Afghan police spokesman. Five Afghans were also killed.

The attack began when hundreds of demonstrators, some of them armed, poured out of mosques after Friday Prayer and headed to the headquarters of the United Nations in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif. They disarmed the guards and overran the compound, according to Lal Mohammad Ahmadzai, spokesman for Gen. Daoud Daoud, the Afghan National Police commander for northern Afghanistan.

A spokesman for the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, Kieran Dwyer, said the attack had occurred during a demonstration. “We can confirm there have been casualties, including U.N. personnel, but the situation on the ground remains very confusing,” he said. He added that Staffan de Mistura, the top United Nations official in Afghanistan, was en route to Mazar-i-Sharif.

Tolo TV news in Kabul reported that the head of the United Nations mission in the city was among the victims, but that could not be confirmed.

Mirwais Zabi, director of the public health hospital in Mazar-i-Sharif, said 24 wounded Afghan civilians and five dead Afghan civilians were brought to the hospital, with more wounded expected. Other reports said that the Afghan dead included some of the guards.

Mr. Ahmadzai, the police spokesman, said the crowd was angry about the burning of the Koran after a mock trial overseen by Pastor Terry Jones on Mar. 20. Mr. Jones had caused an international uproar by threatening to burn the Koran last Sept. 11, and demonstrations at the time led to deaths throughout Afghanistan, but on a small scale. Mr. Jones subsequently had publicly promised not to burn a Koran, but then went ahead last month, after holding a mock trial of the Koran at his fringe church in Gainesville, Fla.

After disarming the United Nations compound’s guards, the crowd surged inside. Eight of the foreign staffers, whose nationalities were not known immediately, were killed by gunfire, and two others were captured and then beheaded, Mr. Ahmadzai said. He added that 15 people had so far been arrested for their part in the attack, and that the Afghan authorities had brought the situation under control.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan, six American soldiers have been killed in a single operation in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday and Thursday, a spokesman for the international coalition said Friday.

“I can confirm that six coalition soldiers have been identified as US soldiers, and were all killed as part of the same operation, but in three separate incidents,” said Maj. Tim James.

The operation, a helicopter-borne assault into a remote part of Kunar Province close to the Pakistani border, was ongoing. The area is frequently used to infiltrate fighters from Pakistan. The purpose of the operation, Major James said, was to “disrupt insurgent operations.”

The governor of Kunar Province, Said Fazlullah Wahidi, said the operation began Wednesday as a joint Afghan and American air and ground operation in the districts of Sarkani and Marawara, close to the border of Pakistan. He said that 14 insurgents were killed and 10 wounded, but had no information about Afghan government casualties.

Sharifullah Sahak contributed reporting.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Savages. There is no other word for them. I have come to the conclusion that human beings also have different species and these barbarians are on the lowest rung of evolution.

Astralis, do you think this Jones character has a case to answer to?

Comment

I didn't want to add this on the post above as it would be an insult to their names.

Again heart felt condolences to Family and friends of our fallen American Soldiers. RIP. We who have served Salute you.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        first of all- WTF, how were the guards disarmed.
        They were afraid of opening fire on "civilians."

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        second, find the murderous imam whom incited the mob and hang him by his worthless neck.
        Then you've declared war on islam.

Some guy only threatened to burn a koran, and they kill 10 people. Isn't it interesting how we have to use "proportional" response while they have no such worries?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

RIP and my condolences to the famiies.

Extract bloody vengeance I say. As S2 frequently says you are going to leave anyway, make them pay.
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

In a sane world there would be hell to pay for that.In ours there will be no vengeance for those Nepalese,Romanians(that hurts) Norwegians and Swedes(at least those are the nationalities mentioned so far).
            Great Britain went to war for general Gordon 100+ years ago.We'll get more hand wringing and appeals for tolerance.
            RIP the dead
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Mr. Ahmadzai, the police spokesman, said the crowd was angry about the burning of the Koran after a mock trial overseen by Pastor Terry Jones on Mar. 20. Mr. Jones had caused an international uproar by threatening to burn the Koran last Sept. 11, and demonstrations at the time led to deaths throughout Afghanistan, but on a small scale. Mr. Jones subsequently had publicly promised not to burn a Koran, but then went ahead last month, after holding a mock trial of the Koran at his fringe church in Gainesville, Fla.
              Ah, so he did go ahead with it. Funny do not recall reading of it.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan, six American soldiers have been killed in a single operation in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday and Thursday, a spokesman for the international coalition said Friday.

“I can confirm that six coalition soldiers have been identified as US soldiers, and were all killed as part of the same operation, but in three separate incidents,” said Maj. Tim James.
              This bit is wierd. You mean to tell me those six were done, near the border of Pakistan, for the same reason

The only way i can imagine it happening is it was done by friendlies. As in the six went on this operation with other Afghans who turned on them.

Originally posted by astralis
              find the murderous imam whom incited the mob and hang him by his worthless neck.
              Yeah, wonder whether that will happen. Looks pretty black & white here.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 01 Apr 11,, 21:34.

Comment

Double Edge Reply

"This bit is wierd. You mean to tell me those six were done, near the border of Pakistan, for the same reason"

I'd suspect those six troops died in combat in Konar and is totally unrelated to the carnage reaped in Mazur-I-Sharif.

I'm intensely bitter right now. Will Karzai apologize? I'm sorry but that so-called nation needs to be utterly abandoned. I've no interest in making Afghanistan safe for PRC mining interests.
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  "This bit is wierd. You mean to tell me those six were done, near the border of Pakistan, for the same reason"

I'd suspect those six troops died in combat in Konar and is totally unrelated to the carnage reaped in Mazur-I-Sharif.
                  Right

I'm intensely bitter right now. Will Karzai apologize? I'm sorry but that so-called nation needs to be utterly abandoned. I've no interest in making Afghanistan safe for PRC mining interests.
                  You've been bitter about this since circa 2007-08, going by your posts if i'm not mistaken and its understandable. You go in there for strict reasons expecting to get the job done and so much stuff happens that focus gets lost and ppl ask, what are we doing here. But this is not Vietnam.

If you leave now, then isn't the whole objective lost. They're not ready to transition over just yet. Cordesman i think it was estimated 2016 as an appropriate date, disagreeing with official estimates which put it three years earlier.

Safe for PRC mining interests also means safe for you, so thats your objective done.

Comment

Double Edge Reply

"If you leave now, then isn't the whole objective lost."

Which objective and, more importantly (from my perspective), whose objective?

My objective remains the destruction of Al Qaeda and affiliated trans-national terrorists wherever they may be found...suddenly and without prior warning. Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Tunesia...or even America. I don't care.

We did fine in three months with our airforce and 100 CIA paramilitary and U.S. Army SOF guys.

We can easily do the same again.

I could care less who rules Afghanistan and how they do so. It's now a proven fact that countless BILLIONS of $ have been washed down a rabbit-hole from which NOTHING has changed. Ten years after we were attacked a bunch of good, decent U.N. workers died because some crazed mullah equated the actions of some goof in Florida with the lives of humans in Mazur-I-Sharif.

Alien and incomprehensible? Yup. Worth working through to a greater understanding of mutual respect, blah, blah, blah? Nope. Not one red cent. Save the Afghan kiddies? Why? God love those children but nothing we can do will save them from their parents and nothing we do shall save their children from themselves once grown.

Vested interests in Afghanistan's future? Great! Have at it. It'll be a proxy contested civil war battleground for the Russians, Iranians, Pakistanis and Indians once we leave.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"If you leave now, then isn't the whole objective lost."

Which objective and, more importantly (from my perspective), whose objective?

My objective remains the destruction of Al Qaeda and affiliated trans-national terrorists wherever they may be found...suddenly and without prior warning. Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Tunesia...or even America. I don't care.

We did fine in three months with our airforce and 100 CIA paramilitary and U.S. Army SOF guys.

We can easily do the same again.
                      Ah, but you'd have to suffer another 9/11 to do that.

Is that what you really want ? because to me an event like that can be pretty traumatic, having lived through it in NYC. Came very close to working in the WTC several months earlier

Yes, you can do the same again but there is more value in being able to deter the same from happening in the future. Don't think you could have achieved this with just a small op and pulling out afterwards. And that's why you also went to Iraq. Now whether these two operations were worth it only time will tell. Hopefully they were enough to create a lasting impression.

This way you train the Afghans to deal with the problem themselves and then sell them the arms to continue doing so in the future.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Apr 11,, 06:57.

Comment

RIP to the victims.

'Pastor' Jones should be punished for this. His actions were inevitably going to have this sort of blacklash and it was completely foreseeable and yet he decided to go ahead with it. I don't think he can be punished legally for what he did but I would hope life is going to be made difficult for him by whatever means in as many ways as possible.

I would like to see him punished for something like reckless endangerment, whilst the endagerment he created is so extraordinarily open ended that it would be almost impossible to hold him accountable, where the creation of such endagerment was utterly foreseeable and there were specific threats that it would put lives at risk in a specific region made by identifiable imans then surely there should be some accountability? Although it may be unjust to convict someone for creating endangerment that arises out of illegal actions, I think considering the unique situation in Afghanistan and the available information that violence was certain to be carried out as a result, there should be an exception for Jones.
                        Last edited by NeilE; 02 Apr 11,, 07:16.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilE View Post
                          'Pastor' Jones should be punished for this. His actions were inevitably going to have this sort of blacklash and it was completely foreseeable and yet he decided to go ahead with it. I don't think he can be punished legally for what he did but I would hope life is going to be made difficult for him by whatever means in as many ways as possible.

I would like to see him punished for something like reckless endangerment, whilst the endagerment he created is so extraordinarily open ended that it would be almost impossible to hold him accountable, where the creation of such endagerment was utterly foreseeable and there were specific threats that it would put lives at risk in a specific region made by identifiable imans then surely there should be some accountability? Although it may be unjust to convict someone for creating endangerment that arises out of illegal actions, I think considering the unique situation in Afghanistan and the available information that violence was certain to be carried out as a result, there should be an exception for Jones.
                          Such a lot about Jones and what about the instigator of these killings ?

The imam. Do we let him off. Find it rather odd you said nothing about him.

Comment

Creating exceptions at your own will?That's good,because I could create a few exceptions of my own,to benefit ''special''attention. Many exceptions won't like that and if it were after me that attention will be their last thing in life.

Now,that chap is an absolute idiot.Unfortunately being an idiot is not a crime,for the simple reason that idiots making the laws failed to make it so.But the fvckers who instigated and those who acted actually did something as opposed to mere speaking and burning paper.And no,I don't hold responsible those 10 or 20 that actually killed people.The entire community is equally guilty because they all supported this.And I don't give a damn if they are numbered in score,hundreds or in millions.Btw,I'll be mightily curious to learn how many millions outside Mazar i Sharif and Afghanistan approved that brave action.I think I'll die curious since no poll will be undertaken.
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

What about Jones? Feels he wants to burn a book. Was that Koran his personal belonging?

What would happen if a bunch burns the Bible in the center of Berlin, Paris, London, Madrid, NYC...? Can you imagine clashes in the mentioned cities?
                              Would the respective Cardinal or some local priest organize a gatherings in front of the mosques? Will such gatherings go out of control?

I always wondered how these attackers are 100% certain they are not gonna kill another Muslim

Next time an ISAF soldier fire 2 rams into an "unarmed civilian" will he/she be reasonable for overreacting? As we see all what happens when they don't shoot.

RIP to those 12 soldiers and my sincere condolences to their families.
                              Last edited by Doktor; 02 Apr 11,, 09:14.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X