Afghan Mob Kills 10 UN Workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    i'd be surprised if the gurkhas went down without firing a shot. Ayo Gorkhali!
    there have been reports that the gurkhas did shot and kill several of the attackers bevore being overrun.

Comment

So...are these muslim extremists or the average everyday muslims?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
        The pastor might be classless but didn't make the mob kill 10 people.
        The killings were due to a direct reference by imam's to the burning of the Koran by Jones. Without this burning there would have been no murders. So, yes..he is responsible, in part, to this brutal action.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          So...are these muslim extremists or the average everyday muslims?
          Sounds like they become extremist when agitated by the Imam's.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            Sounds like they become extremist when agitated by the Imam's.
            There sure are a lot of these "extremists" running around. I surmise the average everyday muslims can be easily converted to "extremists" too.

Comment

gunnut,

There sure are a lot of these "extremists" running around. I surmise the average everyday muslims can be easily converted to "extremists" too.
              considering the literacy, naturally xenophobic culture and societal structure in afghanistan which places quite a bit of emphasis on imams...are you surprised?

moreover, what's an "average everyday muslim"? like i said, the life/beliefs of your average everyday muslim in indonesia is not the same as one in china, or afghanistan, or egypt, or turkey...or for that matter dearborn, michigan.

in any case, i'm waiting until the details behind this are clearer. we're getting conflicting reports on the role the taliban may or may not have played in this.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

These are 'lost sheep'
                I am sure we could employ A10 Warthog shepherds ;)

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                  Thats not very tolerant of you at all Dave... using a plane named after a pig to kill Muslims.
                  *gasp* I am shocked and appalled at the utter insensitivity toward peaceful muslims who have gathered to show their concerns about religious bigotry in a far away land that they have no idea about whether it was true or not.

Comment

I don't know about this book-burning stuff being responsible for killings 6,000 miles away. Sober and reasoned thinkers roll their eyes and move on...only if they learn about it in any case. Seems there's a chain of publicity attached though to assure that drunken and unreasoned thinkers do anything but roll their eyes and move on.

"Unreasoned"...were these people inclined to foment violence on perfectly innocent souls who had nary a thing to do with this book burning? Seems a bit of license and pre-disposition here.

My absolute sympathies to the families and friends of the victims. Those victims deserved far better for the good they attempted to accomplish on behalf of these ungrateful wretches.
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                      I don't know about this book-burning stuff being responsible for killings 6,000 miles away. Sober and reasoned thinkers roll their eyes and move on...only if they learn about it in any case. Seems there's a chain of publicity attached though to assure that drunken and unreasoned thinkers do anything but roll their eyes and move on.

"Unreasoned"...were these people inclined to foment violence on perfectly innocent souls who had nary a thing to do with this book burning? Seems a bit of license and pre-disposition here.

My absolute sympathies to the families and friends of the victims. Those victims deserved far better for the good they attempted to accomplish on behalf of these ungrateful wretches.
                      Sir, I was reading the opinion section today. One letter writer said the pastor was responsible for these deaths because he KNEW the burning of the koran would incite these people.

It's unbelievable that some people actually think this way. I'm sure he would blame a rape victim for the rape.

Comment

Well, the clothes she was wearing, she was pretty much asking for it...
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Something different (Not saying i necessarily agree, tho).

EDITORIAL: When Muslims burn Korans

The Arabs don’t speak for all of Islam

The Washington Times
                          Monday, April 11, 2011

Two dissidents, an Iranian and an Afghan, have posted a video to YouTube in which they burn a Koran. In the United States, the act would spark a debate about freedom of speech versus tolerance. In their countries, it is a criminal offense that could bring a death sentence.

In the American context, some say burning a Koran is a legitimate act of free expression, while others charge it is an act of bigotry that needlessly incites anger and violence abroad. Sen. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Republican, went so far as to say that, “anytime we can push back here in America against actions like this that put our troops at risk, we should do it.” That is a dangerous capitulation to anti-progressive forces. It is wrong to limit American freedoms based on the violent propensities of foreign extremists. And it would be a strange manifestation of freedom in which burning a Koran was illegal but burning the American flag was protected speech. Osama bin Laden would certainly approve.

President Obama has framed his approach to the struggle against violent extremism by emphasizing tolerance even above critical judgment. Last autumn, he said that while the United States “is still predominantly Christian,” there are other faiths whose “path to grace is one that we have to revere and respect as much as our own.” The White House tells us that extremists who commit offenses against human dignity in the name of Muhammad have a perverted view of Islam. But these academic rationales do nothing to bring freedom to those who suffer under the totalitarian rule of those who believe that the more extremely they interpret Islam, the closer they draw to their god. From Tehran’s point of view, the leader of the “Great Satan” lacks the credentials to make authoritative judgments on the true nature of the Muslim faith.

The two anonymous dissidents in the video look at the Koran much differently than Americans. To them, it’s not a religious tome but a political document, the blueprint for the tyrannical legal systems under which they live (in the case of the Islamic Republic of Iran) or have lived (in the Taliban’s Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan). They do not view the Koran as the foundational volume of the religion of peace but as an extremist manifesto that has been used to justify the worst forms of human cruelty and oppression. Whether it is human-rights advocates being hanged on cranes in Iran or Taliban goons spraying acid in the eyes of Afghan schoolgirls, the justification always comes back to the Koran.

The dissidents in the video also consider the Koran alien to their national cultures. This may seem strange to Americans who reflexively discuss the “Muslim world” as though it is a monolith. However, the countries with Muslim majorities represent scores of nationalities, cultures and traditions. Persian culture predates Islam by thousands of years, and Afghanistan’s patchwork of nationalities can trace their lineage back to the dawn of history. These dissidents complain that Arabs foisted the Koran on their people, resulting in 1,400 years of decline. They see nationalism as a potent antidote to Islamism, and it’s no coincidence the jihadists see national identity as one of their primary obstacles in realizing their dream of a global caliphate.

Iranian and Afghan dissidents simply want the freedoms that people in most Western countries achieved centuries ago. Some Americans might feel uncomfortable at the sight of a burning holy work, while others might cheer. To these two dissident Muslims, burning a Koran is igniting the flame of liberty.

Comment

Burning our flag is about the same as burning a koran. Except we don't bum-rush a mosque and lynch some people for the fun of it. And people burn our flag just about every day, mostly in muslim nations. Fancy that...

Comment

Working...
                            X