No announcement yet.

What is up with the F-35? Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised the LHA-6 ships didn't come with a ski jump on the front. The design gave up the well deck to allow for additional aviation assets. I'd think trading a single helicopter landing spot for a ski jump would make sense.

Comment

• An article on the Generation III helmet.
      http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=97808

Comment

• Jacksonville’s Air National Guard one of five finalists for F-35 squadron
        December 7, 2016
        By Joe Daraskevich

The pool of potential landing spots for two squadrons of F-35 Lightning II fighters shrunk significantly Wednesday when the U.S. Air Force announced Jacksonville’s Air National Guard and four other bases as finalists in the running to house the new jets.

The original field of 18 was announced in April, but it was unclear when Wednesday’s announcement would come.

“This announcement highlights what we in Florida have always known — that our Florida Air National Guard has the finest facilities, airspace and — most importantly — airmen in the world,” said Maj. Gen. Michael Calhoun, the adjutant general of Florida. “We are honored that the Air Force recognizes that Jacksonville would be an excellent home for the F-35.”

Jacksonville will have to beat out at least three of the other bases in consideration since two of the five will ultimately receive F-35 squadrons.

The other locations in contention are Montgomery, Ala.; Boise, Idaho; Selfridge, Mich. and Dane County, Wisc.

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla. and a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, sent a letter to the Secretary of the Air Force earlier this year describing why he thinks Florida is the best choice for the new aircraft.

“The military installations in Florida provide access to some of the best maritime training opportunities in the world,” Nelson wrote. “The professionals of Florida’s 125th and 482nd Fighter Wings are more than worthy of selection for transition to the F-35A Lighting II aircraft.”

Officials at the 125th Fighter Wing located at Jacksonville International Airport submitted data detailing their facility after learning they were one of the 18 bases in contention. Now the government will inspect each of the five potential locations in person before making a final decision.

Calhoun said a squadron of F-35s in Jacksonville would guarantee the base’s relevance for the next 50 years.

“Florida is truly the most military friendly state in the nation,” Calhoun said. “We have a long history in Jacksonville, and our community support there has always been unparalleled. We look forward to continuing our legacy of supporting the citizens of our state and the nation.”

Jacksonville lost out to Burlington, Vt., in 2013 when that base became the first National Guard post in the country to be awarded the F-35s.

If a squadron of F-35s are awarded to Jacksonville they would replace the F-15 Eagles that are housed there currently. The F-35s could arrive in Jacksonville as soon as 2022. Link

That would be really cool to have a squadron of F-35's here in town. I see (and hear) the Eagles flying around sometimes, wouldn't mind seeing F-35's live and in color either.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Reactions?

Aerospace & Defense | Mon Dec 12, 2016 | 12:11pm EST
          Trump tweet hits Lockheed Martin's F-35 fighter jet costs

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1411HF
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            Reactions?

Aerospace & Defense | Mon Dec 12, 2016 | 12:11pm EST
            Trump tweet hits Lockheed Martin's F-35 fighter jet costs

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1411HF
            2 reactions:
            - everybody and their cousin knows the F-35 went waaaaay over budget, but, not only the US now has no choice, it's finally (?) starting to work. So deal with it;

- it's Trump tweeting. So, nothing new. Same old dumbness.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              2 reactions:
              - everybody and their cousin knows the F-35 went waaaaay over budget, but, not only the US now has no choice, it's finally (?) starting to work. So deal with it;

- it's Trump tweeting. So, nothing new. Same old dumbness.
              Agreed. There is literally nothing that Trump says or tweets that can be taken seriously until something actually happens...and even then you're left wondering what actually happened and why.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                Agreed. There is literally nothing that Trump says or tweets that can be taken seriously until something actually happens...and even then you're left wondering what actually happened and why.
                Well... his tweets on the new Air Force 1 cost Boeing about 550 million in the stock market... so, that happened.

Comment

• F-35 is back on Canada's menu...

If they do buy it, am I wrong in thinking it will cost them more than originally? Not to mention the $$$ now being spent on the F-18E?

Comment

Well... his tweets on the new Air Force 1 cost Boeing about 550 million in the stock market... so, that happened.
                    And then promptly rebounded when people who actually know something responded to his idiocy. The article's title is Boeing’s stock dismisses Trump’s threat after company, White House respond

I wonder if he's capable of truly understanding the catastrophic effect his tweets can have, now that he's PEOTUS and soon to be POTUS.

He certainly knows the power he wields and obviously relishes the instant gratification it offers...not unlike a small child with a Bic lighter and a couple gallons of gasoline.

Comment

And then promptly rebounded when people who actually know something responded to his idiocy. The article's title is Boeing’s stock dismisses Trump’s threat after company, White House respond

I wonder if he's capable of truly understanding the catastrophic effect his tweets can have, now that he's PEOTUS and soon to be POTUS.
                      I think he simple doesn't care. He's all "haha i r trump president, i do az I wants"

Comment

I think he simple doesn't care. He's all "haha i r trump president, i do az I wants"
                        Sounds about right.

Comment

F-35 is back on Canada's menu...

If they do buy it, am I wrong in thinking it will cost them more than originally? Not to mention the $$$ now being spent on the F-18E?
                          Great!

I hope Canada picks the F-35.

Make sure they get in the back of the line and make sure they pay full price.

Comment

He certainly knows the power he wields and obviously relishes the instant gratification it offers...not unlike a small child with a Bic lighter and a couple gallons of gasoline.
                            Stupid tweets are great because no one questions them that much, do they?

I most certainly don't claim to know anything remotely resembling an answer, but unless Boeing is overvalued at the moment and this just initiated an inevitable readjustment a business loss in one area is often accompanied by a business gain in some other sector. So Boeing lost a half billion in stock value, what companies had their value rise as a result of this tweet? Or is Boeing just going to quietly start hosting their annual shareholder meetings at Trump Towers?

I mean, this is the President Elect of the USA, I'm pretty certain he has someone hired on staff to keep an eye on these PR activities and yet everyone (press included) acts like he's an 11 year old who has just been given his first smartphone for Christmas.

Anyway, back to the F35... Maxwell has C130's there and no fighter squadrons, Boise has F15's, Selfridge has A10's and Truax has F16's fr what that information is worth. Unfortunately the F35 reminds me of that hot girl in High School who could kick your ass in racquetball and discuss philosophy any day of the week then goes off to a college with a 24 hour buffet and free cable and when you next see her 4 years later you feel guilty about not wanting to associate with her any more as her bloated butt just wants to talk about soap operas yet you were quite fond of her at one time.

Comment

• Oh yeah, you also find out she's maxed out all of her credit cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                                Great!

I hope Canada picks the F-35.

Make sure they get in the back of the line and make sure they pay full price.
                                In most other if not all industries.The customer doesn't pay for the mistakes or even incompetence of the contractor/supplier. Cost overruns on an unimaginable scale seems to be the norm for some reason in the defence industry. I get that the F35 program is ground breaking technology. But its not healthy to hide behind that and constantly expect the Government or governments to keep picking up the tab. Politicians and the procurement programs they are charged with have proven to be inept at best for some time! So yeh maybe it does need a business man to upset the cozy little deals Defence companies have taken for granted. After some of the problems the F35 has had, its hardly surprising Canada questioned the purchase of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X