What is up with the F-35? Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Depends...depends who is running the 2 different program management offices. Cause money is always the key driver.
    I was more concerned about the availability issue. If new F-35s are going into storage pending 'fixes' and they're cutting the number of new F-15's back they must either be pretty confident of the time line for implementing that fix or else someone is 'gambling' on that date and they're cutting back on F-15's on a fingers crossed basis.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

I was more concerned about the availability issue. If new F-35s are going into storage pending 'fixes' and they're cutting the number of new F-15's back they must either be pretty confident of the time line for implementing that fix or else someone is 'gambling' on that date and they're cutting back on F-15's on a fingers crossed basis.
      It could be a bit of both. The vendor who is manufacturing the parts for the fix may have said "I can fill your order but its going to be 9 months" & the F-15X office may have better voodoo dolls and Ouija board against them!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

It could be a bit of both. The vendor who is manufacturing the parts for the fix may have said "I can fill your order but its going to be 9 months" & the F-15X office may have better voodoo dolls and Ouija board against them!
        Either way if they end up with a few dozen brand new or nearly so F-15's that are surplus to requirements I can think of few potential customers who would put up their hands. Hell, I've said before that some 'navalized' F-15s (equipped for maritime strike missions not carrier ops) would make a great potential additional to Australia's Air Force.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Either way if they end up with a few dozen brand new or nearly so F-15's that are surplus to requirements I can think of few potential customers who would put up their hands. Hell, I've said before that some 'navalized' F-15s (equipped for maritime strike missions not carrier ops) would make a great potential additional to Australia's Air Force.
          I totally agree...good strike aircraft to replace the 'Varks.

BTBH may favorite naval strike aircraft of all time was the Buccaneer!

For the US it was the AD-1 Skyraider which could lug 3 Mark 13 aerial torpedoes or the A-6 loaded with HARMs & MK 84s!
          Mark Twain

Comment

You mean like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-15k.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1601091

KOKAF F-15Ks
            Saudi and Qatar F-15SE and F-15QAs are all capable

Comment

For the US it was the AD-1 Skyraider which could lug 3 Mark 13 aerial torpedoes or the A-6 loaded with HARMs & MK 84s!
              Same here regarding the Buccaneer. Beautiful aircraft and very good at its job. From memory I recall the Brits loved them so much they kept them in service as long as they could until they literally couldn't keep them flying anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

You mean like this?

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-15k.jpg Views:	7 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	1601091

KOKAF F-15Ks
                Saudi and Qatar F-15SE and F-15QAs are all capable
                Exactly. Would have loved to have seen them in RAAF service alongside the F-35. IMO (amateur as it is) they would complement each other nicely. The 35s take the lead and clear out enemy air opposition, forward SAM sites & radars/picket ships etc while the 15s follow close behind and unleash a shit tonne of extended range JAASAMs addressed to 'whomever it may concern' from way outside normal engagement ranges.

Comment

Maybe I am missing something. From that infallible source Wiki,

"Being relatively expensive to maintain amid post-Cold War budget cuts, the USAF elected to retire its F-111 fleet during the 1990s; the last F-111Fs were withdrawn in 1996 while the remaining EF-111s also departed in 1998. The F-111 was replaced in USAF service by the F-15E Strike Eagle for medium-range precision strike missions,"

Edit: Oh we are talking about Australian Air Force. I will show myself out.
                  Last edited by Dazed; 09 Jul 23,, 20:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post

Maybe I am missing something. From that infallible source Wiki,

"Being relatively expensive to maintain amid post-Cold War budget cuts, the USAF elected to retire its F-111 fleet during the 1990s; the last F-111Fs were withdrawn in 1996 while the remaining EF-111s also departed in 1998. The F-111 was replaced in USAF service by the F-15E Strike Eagle for medium-range precision strike missions,"

Edit: Oh we are talking about Australian Air Force. I will show myself out.
                    Yeah...the F-111 was an awesome bomb trck. But the issue wasn't capabilities. The Vark is an enormous parts hog. And some repair parts were no longer being manufactured so had to go through continuous rebuilds.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X