What is up with the F-35? Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    No conventional emergency instruments? None?...
    I know the 35 has artificial stability, pretty sure there are stand byes in digital form with battery or chemical cell back up. to hold the a/c together during egress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
      I know the 35 has artificial stability, pretty sure there are stand byes in digital form with battery or chemical cell back up. to hold the a/c together during egress.
      I was thinking of stuff like an altimeter, compass, airspeed indicator...

Comment

No conventional emergency instruments? None?...
        For what purpose?

If the electronics system driving the jet's instrumentation is inoperable then so are the control surfaces since the F-35 uses electro-hydrostatic actuators rather than traditional hydraulics.
        Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 09 Oct 17,, 19:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
          For what purpose?

If the electronics system driving the jet's instrumentation is inoperable then so are the control surfaces since the F-35 uses electro-hydrostatic actuators rather than traditional hydraulics.
          Battle damage to the screen, or simple malfunction. If there's one thing 30 years of tech support has taught me is that everything breaks down.

Comment

Battle damage to the screen, or simple malfunction. If there's one thing 30 years of tech support has taught me is that everything breaks down.
            I'm assuming information displayed could be shifted between the screens or projected via the helmet for purposes of redundancy. I'd think the LCD screens in the jet are driven by a different process than the one that projects information in the helmet, so that a malfunction would only take one offline. It seems like a lot of thought has been put into how information is gathered, processed, combined, and displayed when it comes to the F-35, so I'm sure the pilot can change things around on the fly to see the thing he's interested in at any given moment while eliminating extraneous distractions.

One advantage to electronic sensors and displays is that you have the option of "turning it off and on again" before the pilot has to resort to percussive maintenance.
            Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 09 Oct 17,, 20:19.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
              I'm assuming information displayed could be shifted between the screens or projected via the helmet for purposes of redundancy.
              Forgot the helmet. But those are 2 screens side by side? Looked like just 1 big screen.

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
              One advantage to electronic sensors and displays is that you have the option of "turning it off and on again" before the pilot has to resort to percussive maintenance.
              Yeaaaah... the whole on/off thing has more culture status than anything else. It's normally used to clear memory problems or system data overloads. Doesn't really work with physical problems.

Comment

I was thinking of stuff like an altimeter, compass, airspeed indicator...
                On a GA aircraft like a Cirrus that what AC certification requires. On turbine aircraft electronic flight instrument system (EFIS) displays do away with the attitude director indicator (ADI) requirement. There is a backup for attitude and heading.

Comment

• http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...yrian-sam-site

Comment

• I see Japan has got her assembly line rolling.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...sembled-japan/

Mitsubishi Heavy unveils first F-35 stealth fighter assembled in Japan
                    JIJI, KYODO
                    JUN 5, 2017

TOYOYAMA, AICHI PREF. – The first F-35A stealth fighter assembled in Japan was unveiled Monday at a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries factory in Toyoyama, Aichi Prefecture.

The Air Self-Defense Force plans to deploy the cutting-edge fighter this fiscal 2017 year, which ends next March 31, at the Misawa Air Base in Aomori Prefecture.

The jet features high stealth capabilities and mobility, and is expected to collaborate in surveillance activities with F-35 aircraft operated by U.S. forces.

The F-35 was jointly developed by nine countries, including the United States, Britain and Australia. Lockheed Martin is the main manufacturer.

Japanese companies did not participate in the development, but they have been involved in assembly and other manufacturing processes.

The ASDF plans to buy 42 of the jets. Four will be supplied as finished products under the U.S. government’s Foreign Military Sales program.

Kenji Wakamiya, a senior vice defense minister, said it is important “to acquire F-35 fighters with advanced capabilities” amid increasingly tough security conditions — a move that will strengthen technology in the domestic defense industry.

Mitsubishi Heavy will assemble the remaining 38 planes with components imported from the United States.

The first Japan-assembled unit will be used for flight training for ASDF pilots that will be conducted in the United States.

The F-35A, which has a wingspan of 11 meters and is 16 meters in length, is equipped with advanced sensor equipment that is believed to have missile detection and tracking capabilities.

IHI Corp. produces engine parts for the jets that will be supplied to the ASDF, while Mitsubishi Electric handles production of radar components. Countries that plan to introduce the F-35 have adopted a system to share parts, including those made in Japan.

In 2013, Japan excluded domestically manufactured F-35 parts from its arms export ban, saying that Japanese companies’ participation in the production is indispensable for maintaining fighter jet operation and maintenance bases in the country.

Comment

• I wonder if/when they will decide to buy the 35B.

Nothing has been said , but Hasgawa is releasing their 1/700 scale model of the new "Helo Destroyer" next month. And guess whats on deck.

Now I know that a model company isnt a key indicator, but, if you pay attention to the model world, Hasegawa seems to be the unofficial "Balloon Floater" for the Japanese defense force.

They released a Japanese F-35 before the government decided to buy them. They also released a Japanese V-22 before the government bought into that program. The first one rolled off the assembly line in Aug.

And they released a USMC MV-22 with Futenmia markings well before both governments made the announcement to base them there.

For a plastic model company they seem to have a pretty good crystal ball
                      Last edited by Gun Grape; 29 Oct 17,, 02:11.

Comment

• With the F35 starting to perform it seems some people have started to forgot how bad the F35 program is. 108 aircraft not combat capable without more money and a projected final cost of 1.45 TRILLION Dollars. The promise of a 3 in 1 aircraft with all the bonuses that was supposed to bring didn't really work out. The success of the F35 cannot be used to guage the overall program as the F35 was going to be successful regardless due to the open taxpayer cheque book. If I had 1.45 Trillion dollars I think I could develop a school bus into just as capable a fighter as the F35. The US taxpayers needs to be angry about this so it doesn't happen again.

I'm also a bit concerned with the F35 being a bit of a one trick pony. The unremarkable flight performance attributes seem to overlooked because of data/sensor fusion power it has. What happens if in the next war somebody works out how to nullify that? It may be unlikely but if it can be built it can be broken. With the the number of aircraft being purchased roughly halved from what was initially planned straight away you've got a 50% cut in overall capability.

I'm a bit emotional after reading about the 108 aircraft not combat capable without more money so please excuse my ramblings.

Comment

• Well then read about the non combat rated F-22’s. It may or may not make you feel any better?

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                            Well then read about the non combat rated F-22’s. It may or may not make you feel any better?
                            Or the combat coded F-22s that just got AIM-9X capability last year. A missile that has been in use by every other US fighter since 2003.

Oh yea, those F-22s still don't have a Helmet Mounted Cueing Device to take advantage of the missiles off boresite capabilities. Like the one that every other US fighter, including the F-35 has.

Comment

• The F22 program helped give us the F35 program didn't it?

It seems the more that governments get involved in these programs the more of the rails they run. The F35 program is not just developing an aircraft but seems to be chock full of political appeasement components. By that I mean it's trying to appear to be providing jobs for all 82 US states and assist in beefing up opinion polls in every other state and several countries. Governments are fantastic at declaring that they'll fix a problem but then spending taxpayer money to make it worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                Oh yea, those F-22s still don't have a Helmet Mounted Cueing Device to take advantage of the missiles off boresite capabilities. Like the one that every other US fighter, including the F-35 has.
                                And they can only "talk" properly with other F-22s...

Comment

Working...
                                X