What is up with the F-35? Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    That's why I think keeping Turkey on team NATO is more important than the question of whether or not to sell them the F-35. Russia doesn't have the industry to replicate the F-35 even if Lockheed sold them the blueprints and in 30 years, the F-35 will be upgraded so much that it's practically a different aircraft than what's flying today (see F-16 block evolution), but Turkey will still be an important ally due to it's control of the Bosporus, position relative to Russia, and influence in the Middle East.

The F-35 was also designed for export from the outset, so the amount of information to be gleaned from examination by Russians visiting Istanbul is going to be limited. Additionally the most sensitive aspect of the F-35 (the software code) isn't accessible outside the United States even by our closest allies.
    absolutely agree to your arguments

let's see how things go

Comment

• 35B flies off the QE for the first time

Comment

• The RN has started tests on rolling landings:

video article

Anyone knows if the USMC is trying this as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          The RN has started tests on rolling landings:

video article

Anyone knows if the USMC is trying this as well?
          Not aboard the LHD’s and LHA’s. The deck space is too tight.
          They may also train to do the short rolling landings when embedded aboard the Royal Navy flat tops.
          Last edited by surfgun; 15 Oct 18,, 18:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Not aboard the LHD’s and LHA’s. The deck space is too tight.
            They may also train to do the short rolling landings when embedded aboard the Royal Navy flat tops.
            ... not even with the smaller Harriers?... Pity.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              ... not even with the smaller Harriers?... Pity.
              Nope, vertical landings only for USMC Harriers.

Comment

• As far as I know the Harrier can't do a rolling stop, or at least I've never heard of it being a normal practice for any operator. The only advantage of this technique is bring back weight, and in the case of F-35B I'd have thought you could dump fuel into the reheat if you really needed to lighten your load. But if you have the space to do it and the flight control system allows for it without a significantly greater degree of danger, then it makes sense. The F-35B is apparently vastly easier to handle than a harrier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  As far as I know the Harrier can't do a rolling stop, or at least I've never heard of it being a normal practice for any operator.
                  There were a couple trials around ten years ago both with the RN and USMC, also including such landings on Charles de Gaulle. However these apparently used prototypes with modified thrust systems, and while the RN did fit HMS Illustrious with landing aids for such, these were only for the trials.

Comment

• Actually since I posted that, others have indicated on another forum that rolling stops are used for short field strips, just not on ships. Apparently it is practiced for emergencies where the nozzles won't swivel fully and is difficult because the nose gear is actually longer than the main gear, so they say. But I haven't found a verifiable source to confirm that.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
                      Nope, vertical landings only for USMC Harriers.
                      really?

for some reason I thought they practiced them for rough field landings to help keep all the dirt and dust kicked up out of the engine similar to takeoffs

Comment

• Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
                        really?

for some reason I thought they practiced them for rough field landings to help keep all the dirt and dust kicked up out of the engine similar to takeoffs
                        On amphibs, they only conduct vertical landings. Now they may practice them for whatever contingency may arise - I couldn't tell you either way. Not sure about short field ops, I never witnessed any.

Comment

• The far left Cassandras are out in force:

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidd...comes-erratic/
                          https://www.thedailybeast.com/americ...hat-cant-fight

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
                            On amphibs, they only conduct vertical landings. Now they may practice them for whatever contingency may arise - I couldn't tell you either way. Not sure about short field ops, I never witnessed any.
                            I've seen them do it on the EAF at the Stumps.

IIRC,They were all bringing back ord during a summer CAX

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                              That's why I think keeping Turkey on team NATO is more important than the question of whether or not to sell them the F-35. Russia doesn't have the industry to replicate the F-35 even if Lockheed sold them the blueprints and in 30 years, the F-35 will be upgraded so much that it's practically a different aircraft than what's flying today (see F-16 block evolution), but Turkey will still be an important ally due to it's control of the Bosporus, position relative to Russia, and influence in the Middle East.

The F-35 was also designed for export from the outset, so the amount of information to be gleaned from examination by Russians visiting Istanbul is going to be limited. Additionally the most sensitive aspect of the F-35 (the software code) isn't accessible outside the United States even by our closest allies.
                              So, things went into a very favorable path for Russia. USA is loosing an important area and army in Mediterranean sea.... Russia may get an important southern ally, unlock of its black sea fleet, and little cherry gain few billion dollars for S400. And all this fuss only because of Israeli lobby in USA. Putin's diplomats are real chess-masters...

I would call it shouting into someone's own leg )))

Comment

• Video of how the roll on landing is done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP0rUkDz_Fg

Text and photos: https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=107425

Comment

Working...
                                X