No announcement yet.

What is up with the F-35? Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If China keeps plopping carriers in the water it won't be long til the Japanese launch a catobar carrier and start buying the F35C. I'd go as far to say that by 2030 they'll have two USS Kittyhawk size/type carriers - Shokaku and Zuikaku - with 50+ F35c each. Word on the street is the Chinese are already building their first catobar carrier, they've got their home grown Kutzenov -Shandong- about to start builders trials, so that's 3 (if you include Laioning) they'll have by 2020. By 2030 they'll probably have two conventional catobar decks and least one Ford size/type CVN in the water with a second not far behind. Hot waters to come!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      Reminds me of the spiel for selling the Harrier, back in the 70s...

Also, if they want a fighter that uses shorter strips, buy the Grippen. Afaik, all Saab jets can take off from highways!
      For Japan?

It would be a step down in capability from the F-2s they manufacture domestically, and wouldn't have a significant difference in take off distance requirements.

Gripen is advertised as being able to operate from strips 800 meters in length (2600 ft). With the Gripen NG getting down to 600 meters (2000 ft). I don't know if this is flying clean or with a combat load however.

F-16 takeoff distance varies between 1000-5000 ft depending on how heavily loaded it is and current air density altitude with 1000 ft being a clean jet with an AB takeoff, and 2000 ft being a more common takeoff distance with typical loads. I couldn't find good numbers on takeoff distance requirements for the F-2, but seeing as it's a souped up F-16 with 25% greater wing area, it is going to have a lower stall speed and require less runway to get off the ground than a similarly loaded F-16.
      Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 19 Mar 18,, 14:46.

Comment

• Luftwaffe chief Karl Müllner dismissed over F-35 support

http://www.janes.com/article/78644/l...r-f-35-support

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
          Luftwaffe chief Karl Müllner dismissed over F-35 support

http://www.janes.com/article/78644/l...r-f-35-support
          ... wow...

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HgcD3xFog

Those pictures do so much for the F35 program in my opinion. I've been forming a very negative view of the program for a while now but watching that video I found myself thinking "Well maybe it's all been worth it". The USS Wasp with F35s embarked makes the entire Chinese carrier program obsolescent in no uncertain terms. I just hope the dam thing performs.

Once the Cs are embarked on the big decks and work as advertised then, let's face it, all China is doing with their carrier program is building targets. It will be just the thing to defuse the SCS island building situation. Like Gunnuts avatar says: 'Peace through superior firepower'. Cos appeasement sure as shit ain't gonna work.

Comment

• Several months ago I had the chance to talk to an US "aggressor" squadron pilot. This pilot flew ACM/Dog fighting hops nearly every day against practically all US fighter Aircraft types. I asked him how he was doing against the F-35.

Rather emphatically he stated that he and his aggressor mates were getting slaughtered by the "troubled" F-35B and F-35As. He said there was no question which aircraft he would prefer to fly in.....the F-35.

Imagine the results when we figure out how to use and fly it!

My mind is changing on this aircraft!

Comment

• Apparently Rogoway thinks Japan has a spare $10 billion to restart the F-22 production line, and modernize it in the bargain.

We will watch how this story develops closely, but if the Pentagon was smart, they would embrace an upgraded F-22 restart with Japan, and if Tokyo is willing to foot the majority of the bill for doing so, the USAF would be nuts not to take advantage of it.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...roduction-line
                Granted, it's marginally more sane than that F22/F35 mashup that Lockheed Martin is trying to pitch to Tokyo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                  Apparently Rogoway thinks Japan has a spare $10 billion to restart the F-22 production line, and modernize it in the bargain.
                  So... basically he thinks Japan is stupid...

Comment

Luftwaffe chief Karl Müllner dismissed over F-35 support
                    Jane's was hyping it a bit there btw. Müllner just turned 62 in February, the default pensioning age for generals and admirals in the Bundeswehr - unless the Minister of Defence decides explicitly to keep that general in service. That kind of extension is relatively rare though, and even if granted only given for a year. Of course his F-35 comments did not endear him to the political leadership, but he would have to go now anyway and his comments were likely done with that in mind too anyway.

Comment

So... basically he thinks Japan is stupid...
                      He's probably remembering back to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-2

But so is Lockheed. On the other hand, while Japan might contract LM on the project, they have a 0% probability of contracting Tyler Rogoway.

Comment

• If people listened to Rogoway, we Americans would be saddled with boondoggles like pouring tens of billions right now into autonomous stealth UCAVs, when the technology is no where near ready. He has an ok feel for a good deal of the technology, but he must have neglected to take a federal (or any national governmental) budgeting class.

Comment

• US sanctions on Turkey for Russia purchases could ground Brit F-35s

This is really confusing me. If I understand this correctly, every F-35 engine in Europe is overhauled in Turkey and Turkey alone?

If so, I'd love to know first, what kind of contract is this that apparently forbids the client from going somewhere else (in this, I assume it would have to be the US), and second, how did the UK, the tier 1 partner, allow itself to get stuck with this?...

Comment

US sanctions on Turkey for Russia purchases could ground Brit F-35s

This is really confusing me. If I understand this correctly, every F-35 engine in Europe is overhauled in Turkey and Turkey alone?

If so, I'd love to know first, what kind of contract is this that apparently forbids the client from going somewhere else (in this, I assume it would have to be the US), and second, how did the UK, the tier 1 partner, allow itself to get stuck with this?...
                            It's much to do about nothing.

Heavy maintenance on the F-135 engine will take place in Europe in Turkey, Norway, and the Netherlands as of 2019.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-maint-417015/

Comment

• Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                              Apparently Rogoway thinks Japan has a spare $10 billion to restart the F-22 production line, and modernize it in the bargain. Granted, it's marginally more sane than that F22/F35 mashup that Lockheed Martin is trying to pitch to Tokyo.
                              Neither one is ever going to happen. It would cost more than Japan can commit to, and when it was ready for prime time, the USAF and USN will be rolling out the Super Hornet and F-22 replacements.
                              Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 23 Apr 18,, 22:13.

Comment

It's much to do about nothing.

Heavy maintenance on the F-135 engine will take place in Europe in Turkey, Norway, and the Netherlands as of 2019.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-maint-417015/
                                I imagine the Russians must have a lot of people also complaining that selling the S400 (especially in such a quick manner) to NATO member would compromise the whole system.

A lot of US complaints could be due to the whole sanctions business, incidentally.

Comment

Working...
                                X