Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 113114115116117118119120121122
Results 1,816 to 1,823 of 1823

Thread: What is up with the F-35? Part II

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I agree, budgetary short term fix with fingers crossed??
    Pretty much... and note that the Merlins won't even be dedicated helos... the whole thing is (sort of) plug and play in any of the upgraded helos.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Guys I would suggest if we want to keep discussing the QE2 we may want to move to the Naval Thread. Lots of great expertise to chime in over there.
    “We had been hopelessly labouring to plough waste lands; to make nationality grow in a place full of the certainty of God… Among the tribes our creed could be only like the desert grass – a beautiful swift seeming of spring; which, after a day’s heat, fell dusty.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by jlvfr View Post
    Pretty much... and note that the Merlins won't even be dedicated helos... the whole thing is (sort of) plug and play in any of the upgraded helos.
    There's alot the Government won't say at present due to spending commitments elsewhere. In other words its not politically sound to be seen to be spending on 70,000 ton carriers when Social and welfare services are being cut to the bone. In 2010 they were going to mothball them as soon as they were built...as time goes by and the finance improve more will be spent and hopefully the correct solutions will be put in place
    Last edited by Toby; 03 Jan 18, at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Guys I would suggest if we want to keep discussing the QE2 we may want to move to the Naval Thread. Lots of great expertise to chime in over there.
    Ok, I thought that but I'm sure you can understand the overlap in this case.

Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Ok, I accept that. So in a high intensity situation, would 2 USMC Carriers be required. One specifically flying F35B's and one Helo's? Because if that's the case then I am beginning to understand the design of the RN new carrier as it can clearly do both without much of a problem
    From what I understand an Expeditionary Strike Group is a forward deployed, well rounded, quick reaction force. It's job is to be ready to hit hard and fast before a developing situation spirals out of control.

Say a revolution or coup attempt suddenly gets underway in an ally's capital, a VIP hostage situation suddenly appears, or a natural disaster strikes. Having a battalion of Marines geared up and ready to defend a presidential palace, seize important dock yards, or build walls of sand bags within hours can nip a quickly developing situation in the bud.

A Carrier Strike Group is the tool of choice for the raw combat power needed for sea control, air supremacy, and sustained power projection. They can continuously generate high sortie rates to keep the hits coming hard and fast.

I like to think of it as two different kinds of fighters. A CSG is the prize fighter that can stand in the ring for 12 rounds and keep punching. An ESG is the bouncer that knocks down the angry drunk before he starts a brawl.

----------------------------------------------------

An assault ship's standard compliment of F-35Bs is just 6, which may not sound like a lot. But keep in mind that they are primarily there to quickly hit high priority targets like hostile SAMs before tilt-rotor squadrons bring in marines to secure the ground.

If hostile air forces attempt to intercede, an ESG is hardly defenseless. F-35's have proven to be quite adept at relaying targets for AEGIS cruisers and destroyers to engage with their ship based arsenals via networked targeting. Just a handful of F-35s armed mostly with bombs could still have over 100 high performance missiles at their fingertips with a Burke and Tico sitting offshore.

An ESG doesn't host enough aircraft go out hunting far from their supporting ships, but that isn't really their job. They are there to support and defend the Marines on the ground.

Name:  Esg_3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  80.8 KB
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 03 Jan 18, at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    From what I understand an Expeditionary Strike Group is a forward deployed, well rounded, quick reaction force. It's job is to be ready to hit hard and fast before a developing situation spirals out of control.

Say a revolution or coup attempt suddenly gets underway in an ally's capital, a VIP hostage situation suddenly appears, or a natural disaster strikes. Having a battalion of Marines geared up and ready to defend a presidential palace, seize important dock yards, or build walls of sand bags within hours can nip a quickly developing situation in the bud.

A Carrier Strike Group is the tool of choice for the raw combat power needed for sea control, air supremacy, and sustained power projection. They can continuously generate high sortie rates to keep the hits coming hard and fast.

I like to think of it as two different kinds of fighters. A CSG is the prize fighter that can stand in the ring for 12 rounds and keep punching. An ESG is the bouncer that knocks down the angry drunk before he starts a brawl.

----------------------------------------------------

An assault ship's standard compliment of F-35Bs is just 6, which may not sound like a lot. But keep in mind that they are primarily there to quickly hit high priority targets like hostile SAMs before tilt-rotor squadrons bring in marines to secure the ground.

Even if hostile air forces attempt to intercede, an ESG is hardly defenseless. F-35's have proven to be quite adept at relaying targets for AEGIS cruisers and destroyers to engage with their ship based arsenals via networked targeting. Just a handful of F-35s armed mostly with bombs could still have over 100 high performance missiles at their fingertips with a Burke and Tico sitting offshore.

I pity the fool that tries to go up against an ESG hosting even a handful F-35's.

Name:  Esg_3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  80.8 KB
    Thanks now I get it...we're coupling the QE up with HMS Bulwark or Albion to give us a more compact strike group....Which is why we are retiring HMS Ocean

Senior Contributor
    A british test pilot compares Harrier with the F-35.

Senior Contributor
    First non-US built B-model delivered.

Thread Information