Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 107108109110111112113114115116
Results 1,726 to 1,732 of 1732

Thread: What is up with the F-35? Part II

Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by jlvfr View Post
    No conventional emergency instruments? None?...
    I know the 35 has artificial stability, pretty sure there are stand byes in digital form with battery or chemical cell back up. to hold the a/c together during egress.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    I know the 35 has artificial stability, pretty sure there are stand byes in digital form with battery or chemical cell back up. to hold the a/c together during egress.
    I was thinking of stuff like an altimeter, compass, airspeed indicator...

Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    No conventional emergency instruments? None?...
    For what purpose?

If the electronics system driving the jet's instrumentation is inoperable then so are the control surfaces since the F-35 uses electro-hydrostatic actuators rather than traditional hydraulics.
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 09 Oct 17, at 19:56.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    For what purpose?

If the electronics system driving the jet's instrumentation is inoperable then so are the control surfaces since the F-35 uses electro-hydrostatic actuators rather than traditional hydraulics.
    Battle damage to the screen, or simple malfunction. If there's one thing 30 years of tech support has taught me is that everything breaks down.

Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Battle damage to the screen, or simple malfunction. If there's one thing 30 years of tech support has taught me is that everything breaks down.
    I'm assuming information displayed could be shifted between the screens or projected via the helmet for purposes of redundancy. I'd think the LCD screens in the jet are driven by a different process than the one that projects information in the helmet, so that a malfunction would only take one offline. It seems like a lot of thought has been put into how information is gathered, processed, combined, and displayed when it comes to the F-35, so I'm sure the pilot can change things around on the fly to see the thing he's interested in at any given moment while eliminating extraneous distractions.

One advantage to electronic sensors and displays is that you have the option of "turning it off and on again" before the pilot has to resort to percussive maintenance.
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 09 Oct 17, at 20:19.

Senior Contributor
    I'm assuming information displayed could be shifted between the screens or projected via the helmet for purposes of redundancy.
    Forgot the helmet. But those are 2 screens side by side? Looked like just 1 big screen.

One advantage to electronic sensors and displays is that you have the option of "turning it off and on again" before the pilot has to resort to percussive maintenance.
    Yeaaaah... the whole on/off thing has more culture status than anything else. It's normally used to clear memory problems or system data overloads. Doesn't really work with physical problems.

Patron
    I was thinking of stuff like an altimeter, compass, airspeed indicator...
    On a GA aircraft like a Cirrus that what AC certification requires. On turbine aircraft electronic flight instrument system (EFIS) displays do away with the attitude director indicator (ADI) requirement. There is a backup for attitude and heading.

Thread Information