No announcement yet.

Merkel suffers historic defeat in German state elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Merkel was forced to listen to EU leaders ripped into her – destroying the unity leaders of the EU are attempting to portray as they meet to talk about the future of Europe after Britain voted in June to leave the bloc.
    A note to diplomats before the summit from Mr Tusk urged the EU “never to allow return to chaos of last year”.

Comment

• *yawn*

You realize that with the Tommies gone your anti-European anti anti-German-led-EU position has completely crumbled?

At least before your kind of people represented states with one-third the European population. Now it'll be down to twenty percent. And that's even less of a veto block, those low numbers mean we - Germany/France/Benelux - can just railroad you at any time as long as we give the Southerners our money.

Last year's chaos? Instead of doing your duty and taking in an appropriate amount of refugees, you instead had twice as many of your own people becoming economic refugees that invaded the Western EU. Like every damn year.

On an unrelated sidenote, there's rumours that the SPD might run Martin Schulz for chancellor candidate in 2017.
      Last edited by kato; 17 Oct 16,, 18:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
        *yawn*

You realize that with the Tommies gone your anti-European anti anti-German-led-EU position has completely crumbled?

At least before your kind of people represented states with one-third the European population. Now it'll be down to twenty percent. And that's even less of a veto block, those low numbers mean we - Germany/France/Benelux - can just railroad you at any time as long as we give the Southerners our money.

Last year's chaos? Instead of doing your duty and taking in an appropriate amount of refugees, you instead had twice as many of your own people becoming economic refugees that invaded the Western EU. Like every damn year.

On an unrelated sidenote, there's rumours that the SPD might run Martin Schulz for chancellor candidate in 2017.
        I kind of think you just made a great case for why the EU should break up right here. Seems all the member countries are pissed off at each other for one reason or the other. Country A is upset Country B won't take refugees from outside the region. Country B is upset Country A is trying to tell it what to do. Goes on and on to Country C and Country D and...

I would love to see everyone in Family Court in front of Judge Judy. Having already gone through Divorce Court and can see those bad feelings now.

By the way what is it with Tommies and "your kind" of people? I might call Tankie a Tommie as we have a pint or two in a pub and banter back and forth. In that context it is all in jest. This context is different. I am always interested in what you write but that harks back to other times where Jerry was also used.
        Last edited by tbm3fan; 17 Oct 16,, 22:26.

Comment

• the EU should have just remained a customs union, -maybe- a free trade area.

all the other aspects of economic integration make little sense without political integration, which should be obvious to all and sundry that no one is really enthusiastic about.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I'll give you my tommy thoughts when and if the kraut answers you tbefm pass the bottle matey

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              I kind of think you just made a great case for why the EU should break up right here. Seems all the member countries are pissed off at each other for one reason or the other. Country A is upset Country B won't take refugees from out side the region. Country B is upset Country A is trying to tell it what to do. Goes on and on to Country C and Country D and...
              Nah, it's more groups of states. Three main groups: "The West", "The South" and the remainder who just do whatever but don't matter anyway. The West has around 35% of the Union, the South around 25% and the rest around 40% (which split equally between the UK, the Visegrad group and the rest of the Union).

Kinda like how from a European perspective of the US only the Northeast, Cali and Texas seem to matter. And Florida if a Bush is involved.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              that harks back to other times where Jerry was also used.
              You're making me feel old. Much like Ami it was a perfectly acceptable term up till the mid 90s. Both terms only went out of fashion when the national flags on the signs for bases were switched for NATO flags.
              Tankie's favourite tabloid that he likes to quote here calls us Huns btw.

Comment

• Don't have a fav tabloid Kato ,I surf the internet for news , it saves trees ,but there again , never assume , but yea I have heard that term Hun in many films n movies , I still prefer , krauts ttfn
                Last edited by tankie; 18 Oct 16,, 08:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  I'll give you my tommy thoughts when and if the kraut answers you tbefm pass the bottle matey
                  From the looks of it you have already finished the bottle. Bloody hell. That's my best Tommie impersonation... Click image for larger version

Name:	canada.gif
Views:	3
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1469529

Comment

• Nahhhhh , everything in moderation now bud .

Comment

• Germany on the verge of diplomatic scandal with Turkey

http://s1.bild.me/bilder/240416/4276183teu.png
                      Angela Merkel's fellow party member Erika Steinbach's controversial statements paved the way for exacerbating political crisis between the two countries. The reason for it is the insulting tweet of the member of Bundestag which may undermine bilateral relations between Germany and Turkey.

Comment

• Erika Steinbach is about the most conservative, hawkish, revanchist and right-wing member of the Bundestag one can find. Which, given she's a senior member on the CDU Bundestag faction board, tells you something about Merkel's party.

Comment

• Sigmar Gabriel has just announced he won't run for chancellor in 2017 and will leave the field to Martin Schulz.

This could be a really major strike against Merkel, as it's highly likely Schulz will manage to rally people behind the SPD in the upcoming federal election campaign in the second half of the year.

PS. to the last post before this btw - Erika Steinbach left Merkel's CDU last week. Good riddance.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                            Sigmar Gabriel has just announced he won't run for chancellor in 2017 and will leave the field to Martin Schulz.

This could be a really major strike against Merkel, as it's highly likely Schulz will manage to rally people behind the SPD in the upcoming federal election campaign in the second half of the year.

PS. to the last post before this btw - Erika Steinbach left Merkel's CDU last week. Good riddance.
                            No chance of a shock AFD win? The world really needs Germany to keep it's sanity in 2017 while the rest of us lose it!

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
                              No chance of a shock AFD win? The world really needs Germany to keep it's sanity in 2017 while the rest of us lose it!
                              I doubt anybody has plans to let a million refugees in....Oh yeh somebody already did that.

Comment

• Well if that's Merkels downfall, Schulz seems like a decent sucessor. I don't know a lot about him but he's certainly no Le Pen or Wilders.

I think it may be in the UK's benefit for the CDU to stay in power, from what little I know Merkel might seek a calmer, non-confrontational approach to brexit. We need cool heads for the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X