• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• II MEF takes over RC(SW)

Marines From Camp Pendleton Relinquish Command Of Key Afghan Territory
    L.A. Now (LATimes.com)
    By Tony Perry
    Mar. 26
    Amid praise for a job well done, the Marines from Camp Pendleton on Saturday formally relinquished responsibility for leading the fight against the Taliban in the insurgency's longtime stronghold of Helmand province, Afghanistan.
    “In February 2010, the Taliban flag flew high here in Helmand,” said Army Lt. Gen. David M. Rodriguez, commander of the international joint force. “Today, this land belongs to the people of Helmand.”
    Haji Abdul Manaf, governor of the Nawa district, was blunt: “This has been a very good year. We want more good years.”
    Their comments came at a ceremony marking the turnover of command responsibility from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Pendleton to the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Although geographically and culturally distant from the Afghan capital of Kabul, rural Helmand province is considered key to the Taliban insurgency. Helmand is the heart of the nation’s poppy crop -- a cash crop that is processed into heroin and provides enormous profits for the Taliban.
    The mantra from military brass is that progress in routing the Taliban and gaining the trust of villagers in Helmand has been substantial but remains “fragile and reversible.”
    From an LA Times article. Picture from II MEF PAO.

Maj. Gen. John Toolan (left), commanding general of II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), and Sgt. Maj. Michael Jones, sergeant major, II MEF (Fwd), unfurl the II MEF colors during a transfer of authority ceremony on Camp Leatherneck, March 26. Toolan assumed command of Regional Command Southwest from Maj. Gen. Richard Mills, commanding general of I MEF (Fwd).
    (Photo by Master Sgt. Brian Jones)
    Attached Files

Job well-done by I MEF. Hope it continues as Helmand remains "the heart of darkness". If we're staying, might as well do our best. Our troops don't know any other way.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Reading this all I can think is "Damn I'm old."

A young 1stLt Richard P. Mills (one and the same) was my Series Commander (Series 2068) 2d Recruit Training Battalion, PISC way back in 1981 when young Gun Grape was but a slimy little recruit.

Knew SgtMaj Jones way back when also. Another Fire Support guy that done good. Actually knew him as a Monitor back in my Career planning days. Hes the one that, as my monitor, jammed me in the Career Planning billet That old Richard Cranium.
      Last edited by Gun Grape; 27 Mar 11,, 02:58.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
        Job well-done by I MEF. Hope it continues as Helmand remains "the heart of darkness". If we're staying, might as well do our best. Our troops don't know any other way.
        I MEF has done a damn fine job and has left a high bar for II MEF to climb over, but they look to have a very good command team. Can't say enough about the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines on and above the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          Reading this all I can think is "Damn I'm old."
          Wasn't going to say anything...

Comment

Working...
          X