Ciws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yukon65 View Post
    To bring this back on topic I was thinking of using one of these to shoot down bombs Flakpanzer Gepard or one of these a 9K22 Tunguska to try to shoot down in coming bombs. Now the question is could the radar on one of these mobile units even lock up a incoming bomb.
    Read the article I posted?...

Comment

The cost of each unit would make obtaining the necessary density of them prohibitive. Plus, you'd reach a point where your base apparently exists only to maintain and service these units, and can't get much else done. I agree with the notion that with an enemy capable of putting up a string of fighter-bombers, no CIWS for a ground unit is worthwhile. A better goal would be units dedicated to destroying those fighter-bombers... light, compact, effective unit-level SAMs/MANPADS/ or even modern AAA.

One use I can see for them is for protection from harassing fire from mortars and rockets. But at a certain point, with enough incoming ordnance, you could saturate any such system, on sea or land.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        But at a certain point, with enough incoming ordnance, you could saturate any such system, on sea or land.
        Sure, but that takes a while. Mantis C-RAM for example will handle three overlapping approach sectors out to a range of 3 km against R/A/M targets (5 km against aircraft) with full redundancy for up to 30 targets total before replenishment of the unmanned turrets is necessary. 60 targets if redundancy is switched off, 120 targets if the incoming ordnance is something big and juice like an aircraft or cruise missile.
        In service since January btw. Planned to be backed up with a SHORAD missile with twice the range in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X