No announcement yet.

WWII fighter comparison I Zero v P-40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My scenario involves the two aircraft passing 180-degrees out, medium altitude, and both pilots ready to fight to the death, with no wingmen, and no outside interference. Which is why I'd go with the Zero - it's a totally artificial setup.

If I was going to go to war in any squadron-level, real world engagement, I'd take the U.S. aircraft any day.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      That was IJA vs KMT not p-40 v Zero.
      the Chinese theater is IJA vs KMT by default.
      that being said , the Chinese did not got p-40 until 1943. in the mean time they were supplied trough lend and lease with p-66 and p-43.
      one American fighter group (the 23rd ) operating in a theater the size of the eastern front, has no chance of wrestling air supremacy from the Japanese no matter how good their combat record was.
      J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        My scenario involves the two aircraft passing 180-degrees out, medium altitude, and both pilots ready to fight to the death, with no wingmen, and no outside interference. Which is why I'd go with the Zero - it's a totally artificial setup.
        You mean a "death match" - two planes enter, one plane leaves . In the real world the P-40 pilot would do what his plane allowed him to do if things turned bad, break off, dive away and head for home. The zero would have to catch him unawares and be a good shot - he'd only get one chance before the P-40 put some space between them.
        Last edited by Monash; 24 May 11,, 11:58.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
          You mean a "death match" - two planes enter, one plane leaves . In the real world the P-40 pilot would do what his plane allowed him to do if things turned bad, break off, dive away and head for home. The zero would have to catch him unawares and be a good shot - he'd only get one chance before the P-40 put some space between them.
          Exactly. The ability to engage or disengage at will is a very powerful tool. And this is another old-school fighter tactic that is just about gone... the ability to extricate yourself from a turning fight. It used to be as simple as a high-angle pass, then unload and accelerate. In the time it took your enemy to turn 180 degrees, acquire, and shoot, you'd be out of range. Now, I 'm not sure it can be done at all, which makes the decision to anchor and turn even more critical, and less appealing. One or more are going to die.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
            the Chinese theater is IJA vs KMT by default.
            that being said , the Chinese did not got p-40 until 1943. in the mean time they were supplied trough lend and lease with p-66 and p-43.
            one American fighter group (the 23rd ) operating in a theater the size of the eastern front, has no chance of wrestling air supremacy from the Japanese no matter how good their combat record was.
            Don't need air supremacy, just air denial.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
            X