Battle of the Cover Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Cover Songs

This will be similar to the WAB quiz format threads, except that there are technically no right or wrong answers (although there could be some that are less right or more wrong ). The first person to answer a cover song challenge must then post their own "battle of the cover songs."

I'll start it off - on the way in to work today, Stevie Nick's original version of "Landslide" was on the radio, and my oldest daughter remarked that the Dixie Chicks version was better, so "Landslide" will be my posted battle.

If someone posts a battle that doesn't include a cover version that should have competed, feel free to "re-open" the battle (for example, I'm sure there are some folks that wouldn't know that the Smashing Pumpkins covered "Landslide" as well).

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Shek,

The Dixie Chicks version is beautiful & I dearly love it, but Stevie gots to win. She has one of the most remarkable voices I have ever heard - just gives me shivers.

Just a clarification - are we comparing originals to covers or covers to covers of the same song? (Billy Corgan does a lovely version, but he is lagging).

My turn (I'll actually take a couple ;)).

A friend of mine has suggested that it should be illegal to cover 'hallelujah' any more - too many versions. I agree, but partly because the definitive version exists. The original is good, but more as poetry. I love Jeff Buckley's version & K.D.Lang's, but John Cale's odd voice & gorgeous piano works just nails it.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I saw this one again today & was reminded how incredible it is. Trent Reznor's song is menacing & desperate, but Cash turns it into a regret-laden eulogy. Rick Rubin is a true genuis for combining song & singer and Johnny Cash is....well, Johnny Cash.

p.s. magnificent film clip

sigpic

Comment

BABY, IT'S YOU, music written by Burt Bacharach and lyrics provided by Luther Dixon and Mack David, has been heavily covered. The original was done by The Shirelles-

The Beatles borrowed the vocal arrangements in a lower key and did the song for their first album release, Please Please Me (released in February 1963)-

Smith found their (and the song's) greatest success with this version released in 1969 on the band's first album-

Dramatically re-worked including a horn arrangement, a far heavier bass-dominated backbeat and a stunning vocal by Gayle McCormick. This version charted #5 (it's highest charting) in the U.S. and remains my favorite.

The Carpenters and many others have subsequently covered this excellent song and it was featured in Quentin Tarentino's Grindhouse flick Deathproof.
        Last edited by S2; 19 Mar 11,, 18:28.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Keith Richards of the Stones wrote Wild Horses for Gram Parsons and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Both versions are superb. The Burrito's slowed their's down slightly and, being a sucker for a pedal-steel, love the touch provided here by Sneaky Pete Kleinow I'm hard-pressed to choose a favorite. Parson's vocal is especially compelling and wistful to me-

I dearly love both.

Steve, pardon me as I add the following version to the group.

Buck

Last edited by Albany Rifles; 22 Mar 11,, 18:32.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Okay guys...I give up.

I try everything under the sun and can't manage to upload a video.

I have a BUNCH in this category I want to post.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Okay guys...I give up.

I try everything under the sun and can't manage to upload a video.

I have a BUNCH in this category I want to post.
              What are you trying to do specifically AR. Are you using the 'youtube' icon in the 'advanced' section. That only requires a cut & paste of part of a youtube link. I've never tried any other way. Hope that helps.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                What are you trying to do specifically AR. Are you using the 'youtube' icon in the 'advanced' section. That only requires a cut & paste of part of a youtube link. I've never tried any other way. Hope that helps.
                Big,

That is exactly what I am trying to do...doesn't seem to work. I guess were on the You Tube page do I copy and paste from?
                Mark Twain

Comment

in the url bar slot at the top of the You Tube page, highlite the link and copy it - I normally need to move the cursor to the end of the url bar over a blank area to get the copy to work, then I paste it on the WAB post in the insert video slot- - which I open with the little film icon

Last edited by USSWisconsin; 22 Mar 11,, 17:28.
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The King's Version

UB40's outstanding cover

NOTE: Well Damn! I just proved that every once in awhile the blind nut finds the squirrel!
                    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 22 Mar 11,, 18:48.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

well done sir!
                      sigpic

Comment

We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          I saw this one again today & was reminded how incredible it is. Trent Reznor's song is menacing & desperate, but Cash turns it into a regret-laden eulogy. Rick Rubin is a true genuis for combining song & singer and Johnny Cash is....well, Johnny Cash.

p.s. magnificent film clip

Possibly the most powerful and moving songs I ever heard, the Cash version of course...

Comment

Gotta tell ya'...I have a little hobby of tracking down popular and obscure covers. I have about 70 or so and about 30 that are top 40 stuff. Will post them some of my faves without comment for y'all to compare and enjoy. This starts it. My fave one is from Disturbed. I swear thier lead singer sounds JUST LIKE Phil Collins(which probly makes it bearable, but the hard driving guitars make it rock.

Comment

The original...

A respectful tribute and well done...

Fvckin Lemmy!! He would punch me in the face for that comment and I
                              respect him for it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X