Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capabilities of a Canadian infantry battalion vs an equivalent American battalion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capabilities of a Canadian infantry battalion vs an equivalent American battalion

As some of you may or may not know, my choice of career in the Canadian Forces is infantry officer. As such, I am most familiar with the equipment, training, doctrine and capabilities of the Canadian Infantry Branch. Which is, of course, not that familiar at all in comparison to some of our esteemed professionals here.

However, I am always interested in the doctrine and capabilities of the infantry of other countries, and what lessons can be learned and applied to my duty in the Canadian Army. As such, perhaps any current servicemen of the American or Canadian militaries can answer me this:

What are the similarities and differences between a battalion of Canadian mechanized infantry (For example, 1st Battalion, RCR) and an infantry battalion of either the U.S. Army or U.S. Marine Corps? What are the comparative advantages and disadvantages each has compared to the other in a modern battle enviroment? What lessons can the American infantry of the Army or Marines teach a Canadian infantry officer? Conversely, is there anything the Canadian infantry can teach the Americans?

I am eager to learn anything that could or would assist me in my chosen trade, so any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by HoratioNelson View Post
    As some of you may or may not know, my choice of career in the Canadian Forces is infantry officer. As such, I am most familiar with the equipment, training, doctrine and capabilities of the Canadian Infantry Branch. Which is, of course, not that familiar at all in comparison to some of our esteemed professionals here.

However, I am always interested in the doctrine and capabilities of the infantry of other countries, and what lessons can be learned and applied to my duty in the Canadian Army. As such, perhaps any current servicemen of the American or Canadian militaries can answer me this:

What are the similarities and differences between a battalion of Canadian mechanized infantry (For example, 1st Battalion, RCR) and an infantry battalion of either the U.S. Army or U.S. Marine Corps? What are the comparative advantages and disadvantages each has compared to the other in a modern battle enviroment? What lessons can the American infantry of the Army or Marines teach a Canadian infantry officer? Conversely, is there anything the Canadian infantry can teach the Americans?

I am eager to learn anything that could or would assist me in my chosen trade, so any information at all would be greatly appreciated!
    One and the same. We inserted the 3 PPCLI into the 187th Regiment without a hitch and during Operation HARPOON, the Americans gave the 3 PPCLI a company without batting an eye.

BTW, we told the ISAF to take a hike when they refused to take our battlegroup and asked for 300 engineers instead. In essence, we told EUROFORCE, you take a battlegroup or you take nothing.

The 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, upon hearing 3 PPCLI was available took us before EUROFORCE changed their minds.
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 18 Mar 11,, 07:30.

Comment

What the Colonel said.

The difference is on the margins.

Some of the equipment is different...for instance you can't just take some guys throw them into a Bradley and say go at it. It takes a lot of training to make a good crew.

I know the US and mech forces use 120mm mortars in a battalion mortart platoon but have no company mortars. A light/airborne battalion in the Army of Marines have company 60mm mortars and battalion 81mm mortars.

Ammo is all NATO standard so no worries.

Doctrine is pretty much the same at that level.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X