DVD collection treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD collection treasures

I suppose with the virtual death of video rental, and fewer people going to cinemas we are more reliant on private DVD collections. I think the movie studios now make half their money off DVD/Blue Ray sales. So which weird and wonderful items in your collection do you cherish? I like Green Ice for the music of Bill Wyman (his Je suis un rockstar and Cloud Hopper movie theme song are in there), Anne Archer wasn't bad either, lol.

Seven Nights In Japan

Hidemi Aoki

The two movies I tend to watch again and again and again are 13th Warrior and Kingdom of Heaven.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

One example most here will most likely never have heard of is this German war movie "Die Brücke" (The Bridge) from 1959. It is about a group of young teenagers drafted in the final days of the war, tasked with defending a small, unimportant bridge from the advancing allies. This scene is most likely the one remembered the strongest by anyone who has seen the movie:

Spoiler!

Comment

Boot Hill was the first movie where Bud Spencer and Terence Hill teamed up, although it isn't a straight comedy. Funny enough, 8 years later in 1977 Midway released an arcade game based on the movie!

Boot Hill Plot

Boot Hill arcade game

Comment

Boot Hill was the third in a trilogy; They Call Me Trinity, They Still Call Me Trinity, and Boot Hill
          It is great, the first two are funnier. They are favorites in my collection too.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            Boot Hill was the third in a trilogy; They Call Me Trinity, They Still Call Me Trinity, and Boot Hill
            It is great, the first two are funnier. They are favorites in my collection too.
            I think Boot Hill predated those movies, it was 1969 and They Call Me Trinity was 1970, and Boot Hill (different characters) wasn't a comedy. I think Boot Hill was the first time Bud Spencer and Terence Hill teamed up.:)

Smokey & The Bandit played at the drive-in for 1 year solid, and the only reason they stopped showing it was because Hooper came out.

Firebird

Comment

I think Boot Hill predated those movies, it was 1969 and They Call Me Trinity was 1970, and Boot Hill (different characters) wasn't a comedy. I think Boot Hill was the first time Bud Spencer and Terence Hill teamed up.
              You may be right, I bought the three together as a set and "assumed" - always a dangerous thing to do
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                You may be right, I bought the three together as a set and "assumed" - always a dangerous thing to do
                A bit of trivia, Bud Spencer chose his name because his favorite actor was Spencer Tracey. He represented Italy in swimming at the Olympics (at the Helsinki games, 1952 I think). Terence Hill took his name from his American wife Lori Hill.:)

Will Blue Ray last as long as VHS? Probably not.;)

Seven Nights Video Clip

Comment

I think the ugly Corvette in Corvette Summer virtually killed Mark Hamill's movie career. Might also have been a factor in Jimmy Carter not getting a second term, lol. ;)

Comment

:slap:
                    I think the ugly Corvette in Corvette Summer virtually killed Mark Hamill's movie career.
                    WOW that is ugly - holy balls!:puck:

Comment

Mark Hamill got more of a break than his acting talent deserved because of Star Wars. Gotta feel sorry for ol' Hoff, he was trapped by TV, but I think his ability merited a few movie comedies.

Comment

In the '80s Stallone and cheese were synonymous, lol.

Comment

The Beast of War, or simply The Beast.

First saw it on Encore when Encore was free "premium" channel on our cable system.
                          I was utterly fascinated by this movie, all the more so because I'd never heard of it.

Attached Files
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

These days I see Debbie Does Dallas as more of an art house movie.

Debbie Does Dallas

Can't beat the old family favorites, lol!

Comment

I think The Omega Man still has the edge on Will Smith's I Am Legend remake, the latter has too much CGI to be taken seriously, IMO. Plus, the idea of Chuck Heston running around LA with firearms shooting communists, I mean zombies, is very believable.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X