Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooton Basset

Great news for the town . :)

Wootton Bassett, which has hosted the repatriation of dozens of UK troops killed in Afghanistan, is to be officially renamed Royal Wootton Bassett.

David Cameron announced at Prime Minister's Questions that the Queen had decided to single out the Wiltshire town for the rare honour.

Wootton Bassett has seen more than 150 repatriations since 2007, although it will cease to do so after September.

Mr Cameron said: "I recently made a recommendation to Her Majesty the Queen, and I am very pleased today to announce, that Her Majesty has agreed to confer the title 'Royal' upon the town, as an enduring symbol of the nation's admiration and gratitude.

"The town will become Royal Wootton Bassett later this year."

He also thanked the people of the town for "their deeply moving and dignified demonstrations of respect and mourning"

But missed out the disgusting antics of the Muslim protesters

Excellent news , and well deserved, considering the attention span of most humans and how things wear off.....the people of that town have always maintained the dignity and respect that should be shown to any returning service man/woman, by lining the streets as the draped coffins passed through....... a well deserved honour.
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
      Excellent news , and well deserved, considering the attention span of most humans and how things wear off.....the people of that town have always maintained the dignity and respect that should be shown to any returning service man/woman, by lining the streets as the draped coffins passed through....... a well deserved honour.
      Of course there is always the proverbial fly in the ointment. Sadly, RAF Lyneham is closing with them moving to RAF Brize Norton in 2012. The 'Royal' is a nice gesture but I fear it's far too late, and seems like a farewell gift.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        Of course there is always the proverbial fly in the ointment. Sadly, RAF Lyneham is closing with them moving to RAF Brize Norton in 2012. The 'Royal' is a nice gesture but I fear it's far too late, and seems like a farewell gift.
        Dam, I missed that along the way................ man have departed RAF Lyneham to a few nice places in my time ............ and a few unsavoury ones
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
          Dam, I missed that along the way................ man have departed RAF Lyneham to a few nice places in my time ............ and a few unsavoury ones
          Yes indeed. My first flight ever was from RAF L on my way to Berlin in '67 and then of course many trips to NI and Cyprus. Hundreds of thousands of troops have passed through there and it will be a pity to see it go. The economy will fall dramatically for the area, as if it wasn't bad enough already

Comment

good on the town; much-deserved for giving those men a final, dignified homecoming.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Heres one for 7th ,,bet ya would have loved to be there Eric ,,, it looks like a message is being delivered to those who oppose ,

Around 10,000 bikers descended on Wiltshire to ride through the town of Wootton Bassett in appreciation of the sacrifice made by British soldiers.

Bikers' Ride Of Respect For British Soldiers

They rode through the town, the scene of many moving homecomings for service personnel killed in Afghanistan, to raise funds for the charity Afghan Heroes.

Laurence Phillips, a spokesman for the charity, said: "This has been organised by the biking fraternity from across the UK, and it is their way of expressing their gratitude to the soldiers, who have given the ultimate, and also to the town.

"Wootton Bassett shows a spontaneous reaction when the people hear another soldier is coming through, they come out of the shops and line the streets, and the bikers want to recognise that."

The charity was set up two years ago by mothers of soldiers killed in Afghanistan to provide support for those directly involved in the conflict.

The annual Ride of Respect charity event began last year and raised £110,000 through donations from thousands of participating bikers.

Peter Fullarton, whose son, Lance Corporal James Fullarton, died in Afghanistan in August 2009, joined the crowds to welcome the bikers.

He told Sky News: "They all go out of their way, they don't care about time or money. They just come out and do it because they want to share in the honour of our boys who give the ultimate sacrifice.

"Without people like that, where would we be in this country? Because it's a country where everybody loves. That's what it's all about and it is a fantastic honour for our boys."

Last month, the Queen decided that Wootton Bassett, which has seen more than 150 repatriations since 2007, is to be officially renamed Royal Wootton Bassett.

The announcement was made as RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire prepares to close at the end of 2012, with the majority of its planes, kit and personnel moving to Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

Comment

^ Good on them. I wish I could have been there with them.

Comment

It's a wonderful and deeply deserving honor to the citizens of this fine city that's mourned too many tragedies brought through their streets with a dignity only soldiers themselves might match. I'm grateful the Queen has seen fit to bestow this title upon the city and citizens of Wootton Bassett.

God save the Queen and forever bless the peoples of Great Britain.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

^ Good on them. I wish I could have been there with them.
                    Pfffffffffttt ya couldnt peddle that far

Comment

Tonight is the end of repatriation thro Royal Wootton Basset , instead the fallen will be brought back to RAF Brize Norton , however they will not be brought back through the nearest town (Carterton ??) not through the high street but via a ring road , no more patriotic crowds gathering in their grief to show their respects to the fallen , but they come back via the back door so to speak .

UK 3 LIONS , more like 3 mange'y mongrel alley cats :slap: .?????

YOU WHO DECIDED THIS ARE DISGUSTING PIECES OF EXCRETA . YOU DONT DESERVE SOLDIERS YOU MEALY MOUTHED MONEY GRABBING EXPENSES THIEVES PUBLIC SCHOOLBOYS .YOU DO NOT DESERVE A COUNTRY TO GOVERN

Last edited by tankie; 01 Sep 11,, 13:17.

Comment

Sadly, RAF Lyneham is closing with them moving to RAF Brize Norton in 2012. The 'Royal' is a nice gesture but I fear it's far too late, and seems like a farewell gift.
                        maybe the bolded bit has something to do with this.

Comment

Tankie, It is indeed a sad day for the town of Royal Wootton Bassett; but it was always the plan to RETURN repat proceedings to Brize. Although the cortege route will no longer pass through a town, they have made the promise to set out a "memorial garden" outside Brize. This will be purpose built as an area to pay respects, and there will be specific space for media vehicles at an appropriately respectful distance.

Granted, the above proposal takes away from the spontenaeity of the Wootton Bassett gatherings, at least it has been recognised that the public have a strong desire to pay their respects.

Apologies if I preach to the converted. As you can see, I'm new around here.

-Gary

Comment

Thanks for your input and info newbie , but it dont cut no ice with me memorial gdn or not , (which is of course welcome) but this act takes the eyes of the world off this most austere of situations , people need to see ,to grieve , TO RESPECT , to look and understand the sacrifice they are making for their country and fukcrd politico's who send them off to do their dirty work , coming home in the back door is lower than the Queens corgis nuts , why did her Majesty bestow the title Royal on the town (respect) ? I hope she takes cameron to one side and have a word with the turd .

I understand that which you say , but until i see the 1st HERO come back , I believe a Sgt Marine will be the 1st who was killed earlier RIP I will stand by that which I wrote ;), but thanks for your info and reply , have a good time here on WAB ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jock ;) No need for appols , but you could perhaps if you havent already is intro yourself in the intro thred mate .

tankie ..ashamed ..
                            Last edited by tankie; 31 Aug 11,, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              maybe the bolded bit has something to do with this.
                              DE, it has everything to do with it. Due to Forces cuts Lyneham had to close. It is an emotive move but we can't keep an airport open just for repatriation, it's sad but common sense must prevail. RAF Brize will do its best I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X