Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avalon 2011

Patron

Avalon 2011

Pics from the Avalon airshow. Got two see two of the sexiest american girls up close fo the first time. I must say though, when I learnt they were not flying I threw up most of my internal organs.

Spoke to one of the pilots which was great. He said the 11 hour flight from Japan took its toll on his butt. He thought he was nearly here when he hit the North of Australia but then realised there was quite a way to go before getting to Avalon.

Also spoke to a female loadie on the C130J. She was from Texas and flew here via Hawaii and US Somoa. Her ship was only a month old and she stated it ''it still got that new plane smell''.

Highlight was the B1-B. That thing is loud. Liquified the remaining organs I had when it took off. Its shape says fighter, but its size says bomber.

Best flying display was by the Roulettes, but they have the advantage of being cleared to fly directly over the public. Australia's new Rhinos were pretty good to, the solo display showed that it was more maneuverable than I thought. F16 seemed to be louder than the Hornets.

The Italian C27 was pretty good to watch, knife edge and barrel role. Interesting to watch a cargo plane doing those maneuvers. The pilot did a great tactical landing.

Also spoke to a Rolls Royce fellow. He reckons the cancellation of the second f-35 engine is not finalised. Their engine is around 85% complete and it has the advantage of being wholly designed for the F-35. I asked him how western engines compare to Russian engines. He stated that Russian engines are 'throw away units' and not even nearly comparable to the wests powerplants.

Overall a great day, although my legs were stuffed after so much walking.

Patron
    More

Patron
    more

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    Awesome pics! Where's the pics of the two hottest American girls, ever?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Apparently the B1 had to do an emergency landing at Tullamarine (Melbourne's civillian airport) where it left a BIG oil trail & sat for several days (ran into someone who went to the airshow AND works at Tulla).

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Patron
    Fair dinkum Bigfella? Didnt know that. The two most attractive girls were the raptors. I ran short of tissues for at least 3 days afterwards. Seeing those babies in the flesh was awesome. I sincerly hope the yanks and aussies stay friends. The raptors compared to Aus latest Rhinoes are in another league.

Banned Regular
    Last time I saw a raptor it was in a paddock with signs that threatened you with deadly force if you crossed the line. And then the damn thing roars off down the runway and does an aerobatics show. FAR AND AWAY outshined the blue angels.

Military Professional

Gun Boat Reply

Absolutely beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.

Hope you had a good, good time.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Military Professional

B.F. Reply

"Apparently the B1 had to do an emergency landing at Tullamarine (Melbourne's civillian airport) where it left a BIG oil trail & sat for several days (ran into someone who went to the airshow AND works at Tulla)."

That's us. Hopping around the globe on a wing and a prayer...
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Great pics, much appreciated!
    No One Kicks A$! Without Tanker Gas

Global Moderator Defense Professional
    this is the first time since 99 that I haven't been able to attend Avalon. Bloody work issues!

I have seen the F-22's up close though when I was in Hawai'i and they were in transit to Japan, so at least I haven't missed out completely.

I am trying to see if I can get some photos of the F-22's released by one of the blokes at work who managed to get some up close flying shots. as he does double duty as a prof photographer outside of work there are permission issues, so just have to wait and see.

concur re the B1's, absolutely awesome aircraft and one of the USAF unsung heroes IMO.

Patron
    Youtube vid of the ladies coming into land. Big mama landed first. I asked the raptor pilot why they didnt land first go. He said that they could see the people watching and he wanted to give the people a look at the plane and he was almost asleep after the long flight and wanted to wake himself up.

Very impressed by the pilot. He said he had two kids, and loved being a father more than flying. This coming from a guy who was cruising in the hottest hot rod in the sky. I have a great deal of respect for these guys, a lot more then some nuffy who can kick a ball around a sporting field.

YouTube - F22 Raptor Avalon Airport Landing / Fly By And KC135 Landing

Banned Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
    this is the first time since 99 that I haven't been able to attend Avalon. Bloody work issues!

I have seen the F-22's up close though when I was in Hawai'i and they were in transit to Japan, so at least I haven't missed out completely.

I am trying to see if I can get some photos of the F-22's released by one of the blokes at work who managed to get some up close flying shots. as he does double duty as a prof photographer outside of work there are permission issues, so just have to wait and see.

concur re the B1's, absolutely awesome aircraft and one of the USAF unsung heroes IMO.
    Hickam 2010 I think, MCBH 2010?

Got to talk the pilot at hickam & was pretty impressed. The demo at MCBH was mind blowing (even better in the vip section)

YouTube - F-22 Raptor Xtreame Demo BayFest 2010 Oahu
    Last edited by Porsche917LH; 14 Mar 11, at 06:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche917LH View Post
    Hickam 2010 I think, MCBH 2010?
    Hickham Feb 2007

Not an open day

Quote Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
    Permission given from various RAAFies at Avalon. pics to follow.

Thread Information