Show your rimfires!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    Savage MK2... an inexpensive bolt-action rimfire that has a superb trigger and is very accurate for the price. Since I have a couple of papered suppressors, I wanted to thread the barrel for one of them.
    Drool, drool, and yet more drool. That is soooooo cool! I have to get a FFL to get a supressor in MO. I really want too....very bad. First the M1A, then the AR, then the 1911 then the .22. All I need is the license and 7 or 8 grand $$! Simple!

Comment

What the heck? I thought MO allowed suppressors, but it looks like a big NO to them... that's goofy. Machine guns are OK, but not suppressors? I hate Hollywood for what they have done to firearms laws in the last 80 years. They have taken what is essentially a "muffler" like you'd put on a dirt bike, and made it evil. Those stupid movies showing the assassin screwing a silencer onto a pistol and killing people with a little "phoot" like a mouse fart... total fiction.

Comment

The Savage packages high-end stuff into a low-cost package. The trigger really is excellent. If you want function over form, then buy a Savage. If you need 1930-vintage fit, finish, and bluing, there are other options out there. It's a great bang-fer-the-buck.

Only California could look at a bolt-action .22 with a threaded barrel and see an "assault rifle." (with a barrel shroud, or "the stock thing that goes up", etc.) ;)
        Perhaps it is a California defined WMD, why with a full box of ammunition it could kill maybe 50 squirels in a single day - or punch terrible holes in an otherwise perfect target paper - Oh the humanity .... ;)
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          Perhaps it is a California defined WMD, why with a full box of ammunition it could kill maybe 50 squirels in a single day - or punch terrible holes in an otherwise perfect target paper - Oh the humanity .... ;)
          Ahh, how stupid of me... squirrels are people too. Squirrel hunting is genocide. We must live in peace with our furry squirrel buddies!

Comment

Ahh, how stupid of me... squirrels are people too. Squirrel hunting is genocide. We must live in peace with our furry squirrel buddies!

I wish you had told me this before I shot one off the strawberry tier the other day...from an upstairs window, just like Lee Harvey...with ye olde 10/22 and forty dollar Tasco.
            Last edited by Red Seven; 21 Apr 11,, 17:40.

Comment

What the heck? I thought MO allowed suppressors, but it looks like a big NO to them... that's goofy. Machine guns are OK, but not suppressors? I hate Hollywood for what they have done to firearms laws in the last 80 years. They have taken what is essentially a "muffler" like you'd put on a dirt bike, and made it evil. Those stupid movies showing the assassin screwing a silencer onto a pistol and killing people with a little "phoot" like a mouse fart... total fiction.
              An old friend of mine has a range out in the country on about ten acres and about five neighbors in the mile section. I once had a range just on the outskirts of the town I used to live in. It was old mining tailings and a I had a sweet 1500 yd playground. In all those cases when neighbors showed up b1tching about the noise, I'd just tell'em to write thier congressman and ask for the full legalization of suppressors and I promised that they would never have to listen another high-power rifle blast from my range again. Until then...tuff!

Some just don't understand that the only reason I want one is just for that reason. I don't enjoy having to wear earplugs ALL the time I at my own damn range! I know its loud, but I don't have the bucks, nor even agree with the principle of having to pay through the nose for licensing and then pile on the cost of the suppressors.

If they were legalized nationwide, I think prices would drop off as well as the market was saturated with units.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
                I wish you had told me this before I shot one off the strawberry tier the other day...from an upstairs window, just like Lee Harvey...with ye olde 10/22 and forty dollar Tasco.
                Cool.....like the catshit one avatar too.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                  Cool.....like the catshit one avatar too.

Good Man! Packy & Botasky are some HSLD dudes, er, bunnies, are they not?

Funny story about the 22 and the strawberries. The wife says, "Dammit, I wish those squirrels would stay away from my strawberries!" Which my devious mind interprets as a solicitation for a contract killing. So the next thing you know she encounters me in the sniper nest (upstairs bathroom window) sitting on the "seat of ease" with the window open and in the position. So she says, "You're not going to kill it are you?" And my response: "Once you initiate a contract you can't call it off."

POP. Nailed his azz.
                  Last edited by Red Seven; 24 Apr 11,, 14:26.

Comment

Perfect - I was tasked to assassinate a tree rat that was living in our chimney. He'd enter through the damaged flue, eat our food, and crap all over the kitched. Death was warranted.

From my kitchen table, I had a clear shot into the fireplace. The stress was palpable as I heard him make his move. The plan was a head shot IN the fireplace so he wouldn't bleed all over our carpet.

Into the fireplace came Mr. squirrel. BAM. But I only grazed him. The tree rat began to scamper around the living room, cursing me and daring me to shoot again. I finally shoo'd him out the front door. I decided to let him live after his brave display, but his fatal error was to turn on the ground and from no more than 2 meters, cuss me out some more.

No one with self-respect tolerates being cussed by a squirrel. BAM once more, this time down for the count. Good thing I did, the graze shot was worse than I thought, and he'd have eventually died (slowly) out there.

For folk who may be aghast, in some parts of the nation, squirrels are a gigantic PITA and do a lot of damage. There must be 40 squirrels in 2 acres near my home. There are NO normal predators like bobcats and such, and they breed out of control.

Comment

Holy crap you shoot critters inside your house?
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I feed the squirrels at my house. I like to tame them. :)

But I once shot a big spider in the house with a BB gun- bastard used to hide under the dryer, and as soon as I'd start down the step into the room he'd scoot for cover.

So one day I just cracked the door, and rested the BB gun on the door jam and nailed his ass before he could get away. One shot center mass.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

wow...i thought the saying was "use a sledgehammer to kill a gnat", now we have "use a BB gun to kill a spider".

anyhow, i just acquired a sweet little .22 at the nation's gun show. mp15-22 with magpul sights, stock, and grip. to that i added a nice little holographic sight (red/green with 4 different reticles and 7 different magnifications).

everything including the sight, 4 mags, and several boxes of ammo for $650. what a great deal. i'll post a pic soon.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            wow...i thought the saying was "use a sledgehammer to kill a gnat", now we have "use a BB gun to kill a spider".

anyhow, i just acquired a sweet little .22 at the nation's gun show. mp15-22 with magpul sights, stock, and grip. to that i added a nice little holographic sight (red/green with 4 different reticles and 7 different magnifications).

everything including the sight, 4 mags, and several boxes of ammo for $650. what a great deal. i'll post a pic soon.
                            Nice. Let us know how it shoots. And yes please post pics. I bought the Colt/Umarex M4 22 "tactical" (ahem) for my 14 year old son (ahem...)

...Which I painted...

...so far a few thousand rounds of flawless shooting. I haven't gone for the holo or red dot sight yet...instead diverted funds for the Remington 700.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Holy crap you shoot critters inside your house?

Isn't that great!!?? Any married man (assuming there is a Mrs Chogy) who pops a cap in the living room at a freaking squirrel in the fireplace and lives to tell about it is my hero. :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
                                Isn't that great!!?? Any married man (assuming there is a Mrs Chogy) who pops a cap in the living room at a freaking squirrel in the fireplace and lives to tell about it is my hero. :Dancing-Banana:
                                There IS a Mrs Chogy, and in fact it was she who ordered the hit. The squirrel had trashed our kitchen. I'm talking squirrel dung and urine all over the place. The squirrel knew it had a good thing going, and wouldn't exit the chimney on the outside. Even if he did, he'd blend in with the more peaceful population out there... but he knew where to get free eats, and would be back.

I thought about simply smoking him out and fixing the flue, but a .22 sounded SO much more interesting!

A popular sport with the boys in our neighborhood (all armed with BB guns) was the frightening "Wasp Hunt." We'd find a nest thick with wasps, and take pot shots at the scouts. The challenge was the gross inaccuracy of the BB guns. You had to get very close. And if you nicked the wasp but didn't nail it, it'd see your movement and come for you.

You don't want to shoot the nest directly, or they'd mobilize their entire air force and you didn't stand a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X