Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse-racing ‘amateur’ wins record £1.4m with £2 stake

The Times - Wednesday, March 9

Gambling history was created at Exeter racecourse yesterday when Steve Whiteley, a heating engineer, won £1,445,671.71 for a stake of £2 on the Tote’s popular jackpot bet.

Mr Whiteley, 61, from North Tawton in Devon, arrived at the track by coach with two friends for a quiet day out but became the talk of the track as word spread of his remarkable success. It was the largest payout in the history of the Tote jackpot.

The bet required punters to name all six winners. Mr Whiteley confessed: “It’s difficult to say how I came up with them. The first few selections I had two in each race and that was going to cost £32 so I scrapped that because I couldn’t afford it.

“Why did I pick the last one? Lodge [the winning lady amateur jockey] is just a name that sticks in my head. I didn’t know anything about her. I’m not a horse-racing man, I only go once or twice a year.”

Jessica Lodge, the jockey concerned, was, in fact, riding her first winner.

“I’m a heating engineer — well, I was!” Mr Whiteley said. “The most exciting bit was after the fourth race when my mate said only seven people in the whole country were still in it. I couldn’t watch the last race. I’m shaking like a leaf, I can’t believe it.”

His winners were: Semi Colon at 2-1; Black Phantom, 12-1; Ammunition, 16-1; Mr Bennett, 16-1; Lundy Sky, 5-1; and finally Lupita at 12-1 in the last leg.

.................................................. .................................................. ......

...... two 16-1 & two 12-1 shots in a 6 horse accumalator...........the betting gods were with him on this day
    Attached Files
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
    The Times - Wednesday, March 9

[ATTACH]24601[/ATTACH]

Gambling history was created at Exeter racecourse yesterday when Steve Whiteley, a heating engineer, won £1,445,671.71 for a stake of £2 on the Tote’s popular jackpot bet.

Mr Whiteley, 61, from North Tawton in Devon, arrived at the track by coach with two friends for a quiet day out but became the talk of the track as word spread of his remarkable success. It was the largest payout in the history of the Tote jackpot.

The bet required punters to name all six winners. Mr Whiteley confessed: “It’s difficult to say how I came up with them. The first few selections I had two in each race and that was going to cost £32 so I scrapped that because I couldn’t afford it.

“Why did I pick the last one? Lodge [the winning lady amateur jockey] is just a name that sticks in my head. I didn’t know anything about her. I’m not a horse-racing man, I only go once or twice a year.”

Jessica Lodge, the jockey concerned, was, in fact, riding her first winner.

“I’m a heating engineer — well, I was!” Mr Whiteley said. “The most exciting bit was after the fourth race when my mate said only seven people in the whole country were still in it. I couldn’t watch the last race. I’m shaking like a leaf, I can’t believe it.”

His winners were: Semi Colon at 2-1; Black Phantom, 12-1; Ammunition, 16-1; Mr Bennett, 16-1; Lundy Sky, 5-1; and finally Lupita at 12-1 in the last leg.

.................................................. .................................................. ......

...... two 16-1 & two 12-1 shots in a 6 horse accumalator...........the betting gods were with him on this day
    The bookies never lose. They take in £millions from the tote every week so a payout of £1.5 is a drop in the ocean to them. Good luck to him and I hope he spends it wisely.

Comment

Think about it: If he made 6 £2 bets on the same horses, he'd have won £4, £24, £32, £32, £10 and £24, or an accumulative total of £126 on a £12 bet. He would have made a little over 10:1 on his original bet.

On the other hand, this way he earned £722,835.855: 1

Lucky bastard...
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
      X