Libya updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas, CBE (Conqueror of the British Empire) in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular and uncrowned King of Scotland"
    Lord of the Beast I can understand but King of Scotland is a tad too far. He didn't have the knees for tartan :)

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      Lord of the Beast I can understand but King of Scotland is a tad too far. He didn't have the knees for tartan :)
      That's why he is uncrowned
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Now one of the Gadaffi's sons escaped? These rebels are just great, gotta love 'em.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• No, two of the three that were captured escaped actually.

Mohammed's escape was acknowledged by the NTC leadership couple hours ago, while Saif appeared on live television around two hours ago himself. Saif's escape is rumoured to actually have been loyalist troops attacking rebel positions in a targeted surgical strike to free him.

Saadi is still in the rebels' hands. Doubt the loyalists will do much about freeing him for now, he's rather whimsical and useless in the grander scheme...

Comment

• I'm still waiting for the Arab army that can actually do minimum preparations for defense of a city.6 months and tens of thousands of civilian supporters is more than one can ask.But to a point is expected.These guys didn't had the common sense not to get in this situation.To have the common sense to prepare their way out may be a bit too much to ask.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• There is a lesson here. It is a matter of will. Daffy started off with superior forces (relatively) and superior will ... all except Misrata. Misrata proved his failure. Superior will can overcome superior odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post

On a completely different matter how do Arabic Ladies make that high pitched wailing noise that sounds a bit 'lululululululul....' and what does it mean?
                Well if it holds true for Arabia and North Africa as it does in A-stan then according to Kipling it means "here we come with the knives".

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
                And the women come out to cut up what remains,
                Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
                An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
                Go, go, go like a soldier,
                So-oldier of the Queen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  There is a lesson here. It is a matter of will. Daffy started off with superior forces (relatively) and superior will ... all except Misrata. Misrata proved his failure. Superior will can overcome superior odds.
                  Sir, while I agree with you concerning the importance of Misrata I would also stress the importance of the advance of the Berbers from the Nafusa Mountains. It was this advance, partly supplied by French and Quatari weapons drops, that cut Tripoli off from the south (Garyan) and finaly cut off the route to west (Zawiyah).

From the reports I have read the Misrata fighters have only just begun to arrive in Tripoli whereas the fighters from the West started entering on Saturday night. Perhaps equaly as important was the ability to ship in arms and men from Benghazi to Misrata by sea. Misrata alone though was not a serious threat and the more rapid collapse/advance occured only after the Zawiyah had been retaken, depriving Tripoli of its last oil refinery and supply route to the west.

Ty zraver for translation a la Kipling. I am no expert at Arabic language but judging from the body language of both Arabic Ladies and Gentlemen I had considered it as meaning something like "If I had a gun I'd shoot it in the air".
                  Last edited by snapper; 23 Aug 11,, 09:04.

Comment

• And I would stress the importance of NATO's AF and Navy.

Comment

• Comment

• Sirte, part II ;)

US military say they have registered three new Scud missiles launches fired by Libyan loyalist forces, this time at the rebel stronghold of Misrata.

Three short-range ballistic missiles were launched from near Sirte, one of the cities that remains under the control of Muammar Gaddafi's regime, the Associated Press reported. Sirte is also the hometown of the beleaguered Libyan leader.

The missiles were fired around midday, but there is no information yet on whether anyone was hurt.

A Scud missile was previously fired by Libyan government forces on August 15, for the first time since the beginning of this year's conflict. It was also launched from near Sirte and landed in the desert outside Brega. No one was injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          We won't get Lockerbies. That alone is worth the effort.
                          Or murdered WPC's ,,, Yvonne Fletcher / Embassy sieges / genocide / etcetc .
                          Last edited by tankie; 23 Aug 11,, 12:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Now one of the Gadaffi's sons escaped? These rebels are just great, gotta love 'em.

Seems like his main son can walk about at will giving interviews , there have been a few knee jerk reactions on this thread (guilty ) :whome: its suck it n see now ,a waiting game :fish:

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                              Tis troo nuts , there is a film about it :slap:

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                And I would stress the importance of NATO's AF and Navy.
                                Without which Benghazi would have burned months ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X