Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the V1 on the Normany beaches: would it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Just a little more info....the Germans did use V2s against the Remagen Bridgehead once the Americans took it.

Now the CEP was no better than 2 kms but at that stage everything needed to be used.
    OoO wow didn't know that one. I guess they missed the bridge, but did they actually hit anything?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
      over what area did the bomblets scatter ?
      No idea, probably were released before the automatic timer would dip the bomb down for terminal approach, thus a veeery wide area. The dispenser was supposedly also supposed to be used for propaganda leaflets, so i doubt it was planned to basically use it to spread bombs directly around the final impact area.

Comment

Impacts in water - I have been told in various aviation programs that above about 120 knots, water may as well be concrete in its effects on impacting objects. If an airplane (or V1) smacks the water at 400 knots, I'd strongly suspect it'd fuse. This is the same reason people jumping off tall bridges are killed instantly despite that nice, "soft" water down there.

Or... the Germans could add a proximity or barometric fuse to detonate the warhead at a few meters above the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          I guess they missed the bridge, but did they actually hit anything?
          One impact was supposedly only a near-miss on the bridge, 300 yards away; several rockets hit the river.

The eleven V2 were fired at the bridge during March 17th, with ten missiles hitting the Remagen area. The bridge itself collapsed on March 17th, 3 pm from continued stress, and the standard line of thought attributes this partly to the vibrations from the near-miss impact (in combination with previous conventional bombing by aircraft and artillery).

Several buildings in the surrounding area were destroyed, six US soldiers were killed. The collapse of the bridge killed another 28 soldiers.

Comment

Not to forget, the German guards did try to demolish the bridge with 1/2 the tonnage of recommended charge which lifted the bridge from its fundations--and dropped it right back on top.
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Yep, and then they tried divers (aborted), mortars (failed), jet bombers (failed) and even a rail gun (failed). The V2 bombardment was pretty much the last try.

Comment

I felt really sorry for the Wehrmacht troops who tried to attack the bridge with a barge and got blown out of the waters by Pershing tanks. Desperate times.
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

So I guess my dastardly plot to rain V1s on Normandy would fail...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                    So I guess my dastardly plot to rain V1s on Normandy would fail...
                    Yes it would. You would ahve more luck targeting Dover.

Comment

Hampshire rather, in particular Portsmouth, if you want to affect Overlord. Should easily be in range from the launch bases in Pas-de-Calais.

Comment

IMO It could have caused some damage and a lot of casualties but it would be unlikely to stop the invasion or wipe out a beach head. The friendly fire risk was huge.

The target was 90 degrees off the foot print of the V2, it would land in a long oval area along its flight path, while the beach was a narrow ribbon nearly perpendicular to the likely flight path.
                        Last edited by USSWisconsin; 05 Mar 11,, 02:46.
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                        X