Donald Trump Tells Friends He Will Run for President, Report Says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Trump Tells Friends He Will Run for President, Report Says

After months of back-and-forth over whether he might run for president, Donald Trump is now telling friends he will definitely throw his hat in the ring in 2012.

The billionaire real estate mogul has said he will announce his candidacy as a Republican when the current season of his hit NBC show "The Apprentice" ends in the spring, Newsmax reported Thursday.

Earlier this week, Trump told Forbes he was encouraged by surveys that found his business acumen would be seen as a positive by voters.

"Polls have come out and have been very strong," Trump said. "A recent poll came out where Trump and [Bill] Gates are the only two that beat [President Barack] Obama. Gates isn't running obviously, but they put names on it, and we're the only ones who beat Obama."

Newsmax said Trump has been seeking recommendations on potential political advisers and that he would focus initially on the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary.

"I have dealt with politics all of my life indirectly and directly," Trump said in the Forbes interview. "I would say few people have raised more money for politicians than I have over the years. And the other thing is I don't need money to run, unlike other people, so that's a big advantage. And that's an advantage for the voters, too, you know, because you don't have to make deals."

Trump did not comment Thursday.

In December, Trump told ABC's "Good Morning America" that mounting a White House campaign "could be fun because I'd like to see some positive things happen for the country." But earlier last year Trump denied considering a run for the White House.

Trump toyed with running in 1988 and again before the 2000 election, but never officially filed a candidacy.

Donald Trump Tells Friends He Will Run for President, Report Says

Ross Perot, Pt. II?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Apprentice pt 3?
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Comment

Donald Trump has friends?

Comment

I want him to give Obama a a big fat "You're Fired!"
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

He hasn't done a good job cutting his own deficit.
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

He has business acumen? From what I can tell, quite an idiot who rode waves of randomness to success despite immense failings on his part.
                Everybody sing this song, DooDah, DooDah

Comment

Originally posted by RollingWave View Post
                  Donald Trump has friends?
                  End of thread, right here.

Comment

I remember this talk back in '87, before he became a caricature of himself. Out of 300 million people, these are the best we've got?

Comment

Originally posted by Tzimisces View Post
                      I remember this talk back in '87, before he became a caricature of himself. Out of 300 million people, these are the best we've got?
                      Seems like it. I'm hoping a Knight comes riding in on a white horse soon to save the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                        Seems like it. I'm hoping a Knight comes riding in on a white horse soon to save the day.
                        How about Richard Gere in a limo?

Quick, name that movie.

Comment

Please...
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Why not Gordon Gekko?I heard he's out of jail.
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Gordon Gecko stated in a speech: 'Someone reminded me I once said "Greed is good". Now it seems it's legal. Because everyone is drinking the same Kool Aid.'

Clearly not politician material...

Comment

Working...
                              X