Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 000 Elite Mongol cavalry project (Tumen Hishigten)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 000 Elite Mongol cavalry project (Tumen Hishigten)

Hello everyone,

I'm just posting here about a project which will take place soon in Mongolia. It is the project which will build the statues of 10 000 elite force of Genghis Khan. The face of each individual statue represent someone's face from real life. Here are some videos about this project. A lot of people want to dedicate their loved one's as faces of these bagathurs (heroes).

www.tumenkhishigten.mn

Genghis Khan took the first steps in the organization of the guard - which played such a dominating and influential role after the conquest of the Kereit in 1203, when he became the most powerful ruler in east Mongolia. The guard had a fairly complex organization. The bodyguard was formed of 70 men for the day-watch and 80 men for the night-watch. Included in the guard were archers, table servants, sentries posted at the entrance of Genghis Khan's ordu, and messengers. The khan's household was conducted by six charbi (chamberlain). A unit with special responsibilities was the elite guard of 1,000 baghaturs who ensured the safety of Genghis Khan during battles.

The subsequent drastic reorganization of the guard took place during or directly after the quriltai of 1206. The numbers of the various groups were considerably increased. The nightwatch was first raised to 800 and later to 1,000 men; the daywatch to 1,000; and the archers first to 400, then to 1,000. The elite guard, in addition to its already existing 1,000 baghaturs, was strengthened by 6,000 men. This means that in its later formation the total guard was 10,000 men strong.

Genghis Khan decided when and where this guard, which was the nucleus of his army, should be employed. He had a thorough knowledge of the dangers and unexpected turns of events which accompanied the nomadic life. He knew that he had to protect himself with a foolproof and permanent security system, providing a terrible and ever-ready striking force. The bodyguard and the elite guard could always be reinforced by the rest of his guard, if it became necessary.

These are some of models of those statues.

Comment

Any good scholarly work on the tactics, equipage and arms of the Mongol heavy lancers? I have only read a few vague references of their status as elite guards and the shock troops wearing heavier armor and using shock tactics unlike the rest of the Mongol cavalry. Purportedly their introduction to the Mongol forces was what enabled them to defeat other mounted cavalry nomad armies on the Steppe. How prevalent was metal scale armor? Was there any type of standardization?
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

The armored horsemen in the steppes were not introduced by the Mongols but by the Sarmatians.The Kipchaks,Kereites,Merkits etc... had heavy cavalry(at least in the sense that it used shock tactics).The mongol shock force was not necessarily connected with the guard,but distributed among every tumen.From what I got so far the ratio between heavy/light cavalry was aprox. 2/5.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I was told that at the time of Ghengis, his rivals did not maintain a good shock cavalry unit and it needed to be re-introduced. A reference guide I possess states flately that the Mongols wore coats of hardened leather scales for armor, but the pictures of the poster above evident showed some steel, which beggs the question. Thanks for the information.
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Not so good cavalry does not mean it did not exist.when Genghis faced Targutai during his days as a junior tribal leader both sides had shock troops in their ranks.Sources are of course those scarce and dubious and some may find them unreliable,but personally I trust them.
            The pictures above may not represent troops during the ascension of Temugin.After each victory captured weapons and armor entered in Mongol use.Anyway there was a wide variety among the mongol warriors wrt equipment,even if there was a clear pattern.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

As a Mongolian, I have few things to clarify. People who believe in that Mongols only had leathers armours and no heavy cavalry before Genghis Khan are totally misguided by some historians. Recent studies show that nomadic people in Mongolian steppe adapted heavy cavalry and full body heavy armour from long time ago before Genghis Khan. I'm not talking about European style heavy armour. I'm talking about armour which were shown on those photos which are Lamellar armour. Because steppe nomads like Mongols had small population. Before and during middle age their population was hundred thousands not millions like Chinese dynasties and Caliphates in Middle East.

So every man, soldier and woman's life was precious and important. So they had to protect their lives with good armours and weapons.

Comment

Nice pics, I like the one with the guy which chest is wider than the horse he is standing on. :)
                As wrt armor, it's a status symbol, it get's more and more sophisticated depending on the guy who is wearing it .
                J'ai en marre.

Comment

Working...
                X