Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting financial & other tidbits globally...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting financial & other tidbits globally...

HSBC, Standard Chartered May Report Margin Squeeze in Asia - Bloomberg
    HSBC Holdings Plc and Standard Chartered Plc, the two U.K. banks most reliant on Asia for earnings, may next week say profitability in the region is being squeezed by both international and domestic competitors.
    {read between the lines, if margins are coming down that means lenders are getting more reckless underwriting credit}

Also if anyone noticed there is an upsurge of potential and in progress rate hikes by governments globally. I think Sweden, Russia, and Poland will start and Singapore, Vietnam etc will continue and it will force others to hike as well since inflation is out of control...

I have forgot to follow an interesting conflict which began before Tunisia, Ivory Coast... This is in essence a civil war between muslim/north and christian/south but the major point of contention is cocoa and some diamonds with international trade pressures on cocoa etc...
    BBC News - Deaths as Ivory Coast forces open fire on protesters
    Ivory Coast soldiers killed in resurgence of political violence | World news | The Guardian

Super Mario: Europe's Next Top Banker May Be Italian - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
    This is about the next ECB president after Trichet all the hard line inflation fighting german candidates bowed out due to their views not being welcomed and the policies ease to please continued. My feeling its not Draghi but Yves Mensh the Luxembourg Central Banker who is next for the top ECB post it would be the compromise position. There is a lot of backroom anger and pressure on both fronts the inflation fighters and the ease position. My feeling the germans pulling out their candidates may clip ECB wings, if they pass a law leaving the Euro to forestall being drained for liquidity to the benefit of others. (yes insane scenario in my mind)...

Turkey's EU talks a 'tool,' not path to membership, Sarkozy says - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
    I found this article and the heading funny. The "tool" reference. I kinda get the feeling this whole EU "tool" diplomacy will unravel once the "tools" realize that the market barriers (even for exports) etc... aren't coming down and the freedom of trade is only stipulated on a one way street adorned by signs with fluffy slogans. Gotta look on the bright side at least Sarkozy is honest in his opinions in this regard.

US airport screener admits stealing from travellers
    This is the second time I see a story about this, first time it was some other TSA agents steeling money until they got caught. I am feeling that this is just the tip of the iceberg and is more common than not.

TSA Screeners At JFK Admit To Stealing $160K From Passengers - The Consumerist
    This is the first story I saw on the issue. Noticed some more pop up from other places...
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.
Working...
X