Primary and secondary teacher compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zraver View Post
    However parents do have a critical role. parent teacher confrences to stonewall a kids natural tendency to hide facts and play one side against the other, overseeing homework time, helping kids find answers, and simple time spent with them where the kid sees the parents care. These are not that time intensive given how much free time is spent in front of the TV. Parents can also encourage reading which develops language skills and critical thinking abilties.
    Finding this a really interesting thread, I remember from my days of PTA meetings etc, I was always amazed at how many parents literally assign responsibility of there children to the school / teachers in almost an "abondonment" act, as if during the hours of 8:30 to 16:30 there children did not somehow belong to them. Totally unfair on the teachers, a lot of who were not married and had no children of there own.............so in a way were in a big learning curve themselves in the early stages of there career.
    Sitting down with my kids and doing homework with them, was great....... I literally finally learned what I should have instead of being a jock on the sports field in my school days.
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

However parents do have a critical role. parent teacher confrences to stonewall a kids natural tendency to hide facts and play one side against the other, overseeing homework time, helping kids find answers, and simple time spent with them where the kid sees the parents care. These are not that time intensive given how much free time is spent in front of the TV. Parents can also encourage reading which develops language skills and critical thinking abilties.
      Those things are reasonable. It's the systematic pressure for parental involement that I object to, particularly that which schools use to try to offload their impotence onto parents. Schools and parents must communicate with each other primarily so parents can be prepared to back up what the school is doing, not to take over part of the school's job.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
        Finding this a really interesting thread, I remember from my days of PTA meetings etc, I was always amazed at how many parents literally assign responsibility of there children to the school / teachers in almost an "abondonment" act, as if during the hours of 8:30 to 16:30 there children did not somehow belong to them. Totally unfair on the teachers, a lot of who were not married and had no children of there own.............so in a way were in a big learning curve themselves in the early stages of there career.
        Sitting down with my kids and doing homework with them, was great....... I literally finally learned what I should have instead of being a jock on the sports field in my school days.
        Funny I don't disagree with you a bit. Parents who expect teachers to be babysitters are way out of line. And I too enjoyed helping my kids with homework and also learned lot by it.

School aside, have you found that your kids picked up interests from just being around you? I am constantly amazed and gratified that my wild rap-listening, party-going, car-crazy son likes to read newspapers, news magazines and history books and now is gaga over anthropology. He must have gotten that growing up with book cases all around him and listening to grownups talk about how cool Alexander the Great was and so on.

Anyway, drawing the line between a school and a parent's responsibilities isn't difficult. Schools are over the line when they try to shift some of the responsibility for their failures onto parents. It's as if the carpet cleaner you hired blames you when he does a bad job. Maybe he says you didn't watch him closely enough or you didn't do this or that...whatever. But in real life both you and he know your job is to hire him, open the door for him, ask him what he's going to do and how, and pay him when he's done. His is to clean the carpet. I want the school to look at things that way. They take care of my kid's formal education, and I'll take care of the rest.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Hell a brandnew E-1 who gets free room, board, medical and disability insurace with no utility bills makes almost $1500 a month ($1467.60). If they are stationed in Little Rock (LRAFB, Camp Robinson) and they have at least 1 dependent and so live off post they get an extra $933, BAS kicks in $327.87 more for a combined $2728.47 a month or 32741.64 a year. Thats only 10 grand less than the states median income for two earner families....

Note that is for CONUS duty.
          So what?

How does he compare to the local economy?

From what I could find, he isn't doing good. Or rather not as good as you portray. But not bad for a 18-21 yr old. The Meadian income for Little Rock is 28% above the State level. And this a State that is ranked 44th in median income.

So what you are saying is that a married private does pretty good when stationed in a dirt poor state.

Do you suggest that we base military pay off of where he/she is stationed?

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            School aside, have you found that your kids picked up interests from just being around you? I am constantly amazed and gratified that my wild rap-listening, party-going, car-crazy son likes to read newspapers, news magazines and history books and now is gaga over anthropology. He must have gotten that growing up with book cases all around him and listening to grownups talk about how cool Alexander the Great was and so on.
            Yes, I was dissapointed at first both my sons did not show any interest in sports, but after my initial dissapointment, the elder son won major awards through his love of music, the Cello and percussion, he then found the Guitar and its been music all the way with him.......and a wonderful musician he is to.

The younger one was a pure party animal, but had a mind that had he wished to use it lol was second to none............ and I had many wonderful debates with him particularly on Geo politics, his older brother would join in and always try to turn the subject to music, but after he realised that was not going to happen, he would join in ........many happy nights when they both lived at home and many after, sadly we lost our youngest son in a tragic accident but we have the wonderful memories.

Anyway, drawing the line between a school and a parent's responsibilities isn't difficult. Schools are over the line when they try to shift some of the responsibility for their failures onto parents. It's as if the carpet cleaner you hired blames you when he does a bad job. Maybe he says you didn't watch him closely enough or you didn't do this or that...whatever. But in real life both you and he know your job is to hire him, open the door for him, ask him what he's going to do and how, and pay him when he's done. His is to clean the carpet. I want the school to look at things that way. They take care of my kid's formal education, and I'll take care of the rest
            I fully agree with you on this Jad.
            Enthralling topic.
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              I think we pretty much agree that parents need to be more involved in the education of their kids. The only difference is how to get them more involved.

Have American parents always been this disinterested? If not, what changed?
              Parents have changed as the generations have moved on. This does not pertain to all parents as I can think of, and have had direct experience with, two ethnic groups where education is still first and foremost. The children go to school, then go to extra classes after formal school and then onto classes for other activities such as music. One such student was in my office today to return a book on the Dauntless Dive bomber which I loaned him. Then he asked me if it was possible for him to volunteer aboard the USS Hornet during his summer vacation after his heavy workload is done. I think I can make time to help him out.

Comment

Working...
              X