No announcement yet.

"Let my people go! Just sayin'!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hate that phrase, too. most commonly used by sportscasters and middle management.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I use "my bad", but that's because my generation has grown up with it. "My bad" has successfully made the transition from slang to actual language.

From one of my classes (I've got a final in it tomorrow):
      . Slang reflects social norms and values and reflects changes that are happening in society. Slang gathers in it the style and feel of the time period. Many a time, words from slang penetrate to the common tongue.
      As much as it may send chills down your spine to hear "my bad", the language has evolved. Of course, all that is is an indication that English is a normal functioning language. Any language that doesn't evolve will eventually due out
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

My main vernacular gripe is garbled words that people use to seem smart or informed, without realising they look like a tit. 'Guestimate' is silly, as is 'Chillax'. People who say 'doubleyoo-doubleyoo-doubleyoo' when they're telling me a website address, It feels like the Ents in LOTR.

Oh, and anyone who uses patronising, status-based or formal language, be it 'Vous' in French, or 'Son' or 'Boy' in English. Yes I'm flirting with your daughter, but I'm not your son or a boy!
        Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

"Irregardless" pisses me off
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"don't be bitter" Only spoken by people who have just screwed you and think you should somehow be happy with it.

Any politician who says, "no new taxes" This means he thinks your stupid.

"No spin zone" Seriously Bill. Who are you trying to kid?

"Do you know why I pulled you over?" Sorry Cop I can't read your mind but I bet your going to charge me for this conversation.

I don't mind "my bad" so much. It is a quick apology. I would rather hear that than some long winded, drawn out, in love with my own voice, A.M. radio talk jockey apology when the next play is happening.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Fcuk it. The only suitable alternative is to shoot them. Nothing else will scour this plague upon the english language. Sadly, I'm un-armed and intend staying that way. It's to you guys to carry the cudgel and rid this scourge;).

You have my blessing.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                "You know" used the the same frequency as "like".
                Hear commentators on radio use it all the time. Dolts.
                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  I use "my bad", but that's because my generation has grown up with it. "My bad" has successfully made the transition from slang to actual language.

From one of my classes (I've got a final in it tomorrow):

As much as it may send chills down your spine to hear "my bad", the language has evolved. Of course, all that is is an indication that English is a normal functioning language. Any language that doesn't evolve will eventually due out

I didn't question the need for language to adapt to changing times but just wondered what slang words and habitual phrases irritated folks. Don't get me wrong; a lot of slang words are great. The good ones survive and become everyday words.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                    Fcuk it. The only suitable alternative is to shoot them. Nothing else will scour this plague upon the english language. Sadly, I'm un-armed and intend staying that way. It's to you guys to carry the cudgel and rid this scourge;).

You have my blessing.
                    Yeah,from howitzers to devolve to mere pistols.I think I can ''brace'' (cough,cough)my sympathy to you,sir.
                    Those who know don't speak
                    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

The thing in this world that drives me near to physical fury is actually a speech trait of some young Australian & NZ females (BR, Pari & a few others may have encountered it). Rising inflection ending in a question. It makes every sentence a whiney plea for acceptance. It renders intelligent conversation impossible (which is sort of redundant given the sort of person who usually uses it). If I ever get charged with murder you will all know the context without having to be told.

There aren't too many words or phrases that I find inherently irritating, it is more about context. I often use quite a few of the phrases & words quoted here, but usually with an element of jest. Anyone who knows me will know that if I use 'just sayin', 'you know' or 'like' the person I am speaking to will be someone who knows me well enough to know that isn't how I usually express myself. There is a certain fun in being the biggest hairiest white guy in the room & dropping in something from an ebonics dictionary into the conversation.

People who should be drawn & quartered are those who simply ape cultures they see as 'cool'. This is where Hollywood has been a curse. Seeing middle class white kids & suburban Australian kids apeing the language & dress of afro-American ghettoes (for some reason hispanics aren't 'cool') is beyond pathetic.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I have noticed it. It actually made selling easier, since it sounded like they needed validation to buy my products, and I gave it to them in spades.

Some forms of imitation and homage are acceptable. For instance, as part of my idiolect I use George W. Bush's "misunderestimate". People know that I use it in jest and am not serious.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          "Irregardless" pisses me off
                          I forgot about that one!

From Wiki

Irregardless is an informal term commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect".
                          The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the speculation among references is that it may be a blend, or portmanteau word, of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words.
                          My local talk station has a morning show that used to be hosted by a super intelligent, very well versed lad that also had an afternoon show. Had people calling in all the time, interesting topics and he was very informative and entertaining. He moved on to better things and was replaced by three uneducated, boring, annoying ass-hats, one of which's favorite word is irregardless. I cringe everytime I hear it. Called in once to correct him, he hung up on me. Called again with a Libertarian POV once, he hung up on me when he started losing the argument. Other people then called him and asked him why he hung up on me. I thought that was satisfying enough.

The former smart host knew me by name and would always entertain a conversation, the show now hardly gets any intelligent callers and has forced me to listen to CDs or Bob and Tom on the drive to work....Yes, they are worse than Bob and Tom.

Comment

"Dude" drives me nuts ......sorry BR .......but it just makes me cringe.....especially when its used like this "Doooooooooooooooood"
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Sergeant-Major,

"'Dude' drives me nuts...".

Yeah, but that's not the same as "your dudeness", "el duderino" (if you're not into that whole brevity thing) or, simply, "the dude".

Important to separate a dude from The Dude.
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Sergeant-Major,

"'Dude' drives me nuts...".

Yeah, but that's not the same as "your dudeness", "the duder", "el duderino" (if you're not into that whole brevity thing) or, simply, "the dude".

Important to separate a dude from The Dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X