X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INSAS vs AK47 vs M16?

INSAS vs AK47 vs M16?

how does INSAS compare to the rest

AK-47 - I don't even want to talk about that gun.
    INSAS - A licensed copy of the FAL; More crude, but much better than the AK.
    M16 - Doens't even compare to the others (in a good way).

Comment

You use what you get issued and you learn to live with it faults and all.

Comment

Ain’t that the truth!!!

Even as a mish-mash of FAL/AK/AR technology, the INSAS might not work too badly. Hell, the Galil is based off the AK action and works.

The M16 isn’t the end-all to be-all either. The AK’s get a bad rap too often. They take more abuse than M16s or M14s. My Chicom type 56S AKM is a on going experiment of how nasty and dirty it can get before I have to clean it. The AR needs to be kept clean and the M1A is more forgiving. I’ve started abusing a couple AKMS & AMD rebuilds. The shorter stock does suck and I first had to suffer through a couple SKS’s in the mid to late 70’s. Now there are ‘NATO’ length stocks to replace the ‘Warsaw' standard ones. Mr. Kalashnikov could have done a lot worse than the workhorse turned out.
        AK-Dave

Those who trade liberty for security have none.

Comment

Why beat the most beaten and flogged horse all over again?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Because it's fun. Maybe.

Comment

Comparison

Originally posted by scoop
              INSAS vs AK47 vs M16?

how does INSAS compare to the rest
              In Ideal conditions the INSAS is pretty good. The whole concept is pretty well thought out but very...rather too conventional coupled with bad policy decisions like the standard 20 round magazine (damn bureaucrats everywhere). My biggest beef with the INSAS is poor manufacturing standards. I think its over weight for the kind of ammo it fires. Maybe its the way it's CG is placed... because it just feels like dead-weight - not like the pointability of the AK and the M16. Lots of needless clutter, like the carrying handle (who the hell uses that?) and a bunch of apparently needless latches and locks. And who can forget the horrible ochre/brick red furniture... Good for signalling :)

Contrary to what most people percieve, the INSAS is an FNC squeezed into an AKM type receiver, and not a FAL derivative.

Shoots fairly well, but with the AK type long stroke, one cannot expect to be driving nails with an INSAS.

Comment

Originally posted by cottage cheese
                In Ideal conditions the INSAS is pretty good. The whole concept is pretty well thought out but very...rather too conventional coupled with bad policy decisions like the standard 20 round magazine (damn bureaucrats everywhere). My biggest beef with the INSAS is poor manufacturing standards. I think its over weight for the kind of ammo it fires. Maybe its the way it's CG is placed... because it just feels like dead-weight - not like the pointability of the AK and the M16. Lots of needless clutter, like the carrying handle (who the hell uses that?) and a bunch of apparently needless latches and locks. And who can forget the horrible ochre/brick red furniture... Good for signalling :)

Contrary to what most people percieve, the INSAS is an FNC squeezed into an AKM type receiver, and not a FAL derivative.

Shoots fairly well, but with the AK type long stroke, one cannot expect to be driving nails with an INSAS.
                Have any firing experience with it (INSAS)?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                  We'll... a little. Our state police got a consignment of 200 - I'm not saying which state (and kindly don't pursue this!) It's not entirely different from firing a AKM except for the length in front of you and the peep sights. It does buck a little lesser than the AK since the ammo is lighter and marginally less powerful, but there is still that distracting 'feel' and 'hear' of the bolt travelling back and forth after a round is fired. The weapon is also pretty heavy for a 5.56mm that too with just a 20 round magazine. As most of the layout and contours are very much based on the AKM, I can guess the excess weight comes from poor choice of steel. I don't have access to an FNC for comparison, but I can guess that the trigger mechanism as with most of the INSAS is based on the FNC. The receiver, though largely an AKM clone has had to be slightly recontoured to accomodate the "FNC" trigger fire control mechanism- that should explain the downward hump the trigger axis pin sits on. The massive AK type selector lever has given way to an FNC clone on the left side for conveient thumb operation. I have, as yet, not fired the INSAS enough to comment authoratively on its accuracy- Its definitely better than the AK, though lesser than the M16A1/2. In this aspect, its excess weight may be a small blessing as it soaks up quite a bit of the recoil. Ther has been quite a bit of *****ing about the three round burst mechanism. If its an FNC clone it, shouldn't be as bad unless the copy has been done horribly. Mostly, I feel the problems are more psychological than mechanical. If you draw in ther trigger confidently and fully there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Comment

By the way

Originally posted by lemontree
                    By the way, lemontree, I take it you're in the Military (Infantry?) so you'd have more hands on experience with it no doubt :)

I kind of get carried away and I just started wondering why I'm giving you a lecture on what you already have !! Its like going to Mr.Kalashnikov or Mr. Stoner and giving them a monologue on their respective weapons. :)
                    Last edited by cottage cheese; 08 Aug 05,, 05:24.

Comment

Originally posted by cottage cheese
                      And who can forget the horrible ochre/brick red furniture... Good for signalling :)
                      My thoughts, exactly!. I said the same thing to Lemontree sometime back.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Was not a Black version unveiled sometime ago ?

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
                          My thoughts, exactly!. I said the same thing to Lemontree sometime back.
                          Olive Green or Drab would have been great by my thinking. Or if synthetics and composites were too much of an issue, there'd be nothing better than the old world dull hand rubbed oil finish like in our old 303's..... except for the added weight to what may now be one of the heavier 5.56's.
                          Seen the version with the FAL type folding stock? I don't know what the designing committee (I'm told the INSAS is a glorious instance of a committee designed firearm... can you believe that?!! :) ) were thinking, but the vertical span is way too much... probably put a mesh on it and use it as a tennis racket!

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                            Was not a Black version unveiled sometime ago ?
                            Yup, its been around for a while- all being channeled for export. Nepal being the chief recepient- dont know much about other customers (if any).

Comment

Yeah.
                              I recollect seeing a black INSAS used by a RNA solider in a picture on BR.

Comment

Working...
                              X