help identifying WWII tank round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    The lead part makes me think it might've been made as a door-stop? Unusual to ADD weight to an already pretty heavy AT round (even if it is hollow). . .
    If you don't, the round will be top heavy.

Comment

Looking at pics of a 105mm Howitzer round, that actually might be it. There are threads in the top (where a fuse would be screwed in), it is the exact same shape, and the weight would be in the right range.

Comment

Originally posted by amac418 View Post
        Looking at pics of a 105mm Howitzer round, that actually might be it. There are threads in the top (where a fuse would be screwed in), it is the exact same shape, and the weight would be in the right range.
        Could be. The copper band at half way is the same. I couldn't make out the drilled holes by the fuse housing on the vid but that may have been done for a different reason.

Comment

I thought you said it was 57mm, 105mm is almost twice that size and would explain it weighing 20#
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            I thought you said it was 57mm, 105mm is almost twice that size and would explain it weighing 20#
            I may have miscalculated. Around the copper bands, circumference is 11.5". Around the middle, 11" exact. At the opening, 2.25", and at the back/bottom, 3" exact. Can anyone convert those to mm? It's late, and I'm not the best at math at all.

Comment

I may have miscalculated. Around the copper bands, circumference is 11.5". Around the middle, 11" exact. At the opening, 2.25", and at the back/bottom, 3" exact. Can anyone convert those to mm? It's late, and I'm not the best at math at all.
              11.5"=292.1 11"=279.4 2.25"=57.15 3"=76.2

Comment

11.5"/3.14 (pi) =3.66" dia or about 92mm - with measuring error- 105mm is reasonable, or it could be 90mm another common tank caliber, and one that would weigh about 20# empty - this is also more consistant with the length, since WWII projectiles were typically about 4 times longer than their diameter.

A 20# 57mm projectile is unlikely, it would be too heavy and damage the gun.
                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Feb 11,, 15:58.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                X