Best Cover Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cover Song

I know that as a general rule it doesn't happen, but every so often I hear a cover song which is actually better than the original. To name a few:

Careless Whisper by Seether, originally by George Michael
    I Am the Walrus By Jim Carey, originally by the Beatles
    Mad World by Gary Jules, originally by Tears for Fears
    I'm A Believer by EMF Feat Reeves and Mortimer, originally by the Monkees
    Mahna Mahna by Bip Bippadotta and the Snowths, originally by Piero Umiliani.
    I Fought the Law by The Clash, originally by Sonny Curtis and The Crickets
    What a Wonderful World by Joey Ramone, originally by Louis Armstrong

I'm sure that I can think up a whole bunch more, these are just the few that come to mind at the moment. Got any others you'd like to add to the list?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Orgasmotron by Satyricon, originally by Motorhead
      Whiplash by B*ttf**k, originally by Metallica
      Sweatleaf by Ugly Kid Joe, originally by Black Sabbath
      Screaming for Vengeance by Iced Earth, originally by Judas Priest
      We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

My favorite group and the Colonel's favorite chick joins forces! :)

Comment

In the Masters Class

You have Bob Dylans All Along the Watchtower as covered by Jimi Hendrix.

Even Dylan said Hendrix did the best version

All others pale in comparison

Comment

I actually prefer Faith No More's "War Pigs" to Black Sabbath's.

-dale

Comment

Byrds and Band

Both made a living off of covering Dylan. Usually better, IMV. Here's My Back Pages-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

This generation is going to hell in a handbasket. I was listening to Come Together as done by Joe Cocker (another cover that's better than the original), and this kid I work with says to me "That's a cover of a Michael Jackson song!" I nearly wanted to cry. He had no inkling that it was originally a Beatles song.
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Best Cover Song

What's your favorite cover song, one that is superior the original?

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek,

don't we already have a thread on this somewhere?.

Agree on your choice, however. Killer version.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Smith, The Animals, The Byrds & Cream

Baby, It's You-

Interesting that this was written by Burt Bacharach and Luther Dixon. Originally recorded by the Shirelles and then the Beatles, I found this to be my favorite version.

House Of The Rising Sun-

Mr. Tambourine Man-

Nothing sounded cooler in the summer of 1965 than Mr. Tambourine Man coming out of the little tinny dashboard speaker of a car.

My Back Pages-

Crossroads-

Last edited by S2; 02 Feb 11,, 04:55.
                      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The Who

Young Man Blues (Mose Allison)-

Think Mose would recognize the lyrics...if he could hear them. The music? It's another world.

Comment

Vanilla Fudge

Like the Byrds (and to a much lesser extent, The Band) these guys made an absolute living out of doing covers of others work. Here they covered the Supremes #1 hit single You Keep Me Hanging On (Holland-Dozier-Holland) for their own huge hit.

I liked this better than the Supremes version and that's what matters-

Comment

I got a whole list, I'll post 'em tonight when I've got time to search for YouTube links

Comment

MacArthur Park...Donna Summers.;)
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X