Best Cover Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess this would be a cover of Gershwin-

Whatever else, it's one of the most darkly stunning performances I've ever heard. As somebody elsewhere said, it's like the music played in the waiting room to the gates of hell.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
      Pete,

Recall a Casanova video that you'd posted ages ago, I believe Shake It-

Flat out rocks.
      They still rock as hard as ever mate. They have also extended their range a bit. The best song on the new album reminds me of Tom Petty. Hopefully it will end up on Youtube.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Guess this would be a cover of Gershwin-

Whatever else, it's one of the most darkly stunning performances I've ever heard. As somebody elsewhere said, it's like the music played in the waiting room to the gates of hell.
        Porgy & Bess is one of the greatest achievements of one of the great jazz careers. Miles out front; Gil Evans arranging; Teo Macero producing; & a band including Cannonball Adderley, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones & Jimmy Cobb. If you get the chance listen to the whole album.

A different version of Summertime:

Miles covers some contemporary tunes:

The economy of his playing after 1970ish is striking. Sometimes the bands behind him & arrangements were indifferent, but his playing soared above it all. Has a trumpeter ever done more with less?
        sigpic

Comment

• "Has a trumpeter ever done more with less?"

Davis created melody from empty space. Wasn't Gillespie or F. Hubbard as a horn technician IMV. Certainly not as fast but when did he ever need to be?
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"Has a trumpeter ever done more with less?"

Davis created melody from empty space. Wasn't Gillespie or F. Hubbard as a horn technician IMV. Certainly not as fast but when did he ever need to be?
            He found his own voice in a way only the towering greats ever do. He understood his limitations and turned them into strengths. His restless innovation changed jazz time & time again. I can't think of another jazz musician who changed the art form as many times. He also had an unmatched eye for talent both as a sideman & a leader. You would struggle to find a major postwar musician who didn't perform with him at some point, most of them under his direction.

1958 - moody & cool

1959 1) Modal jazz

1959 2) Sketches of Spain

1967 - responding to the avante garde

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_D...hy#Live_albums

1969 1) - the birth of fusion

1975 - 'the space between the notes'

sigpic

Comment

• forgot 1949 - birth of the Cool :)

sigpic

Comment

• Pete,

Miss the "Like" for Miles. I've owned the Gil Evans collaborations for years and love them each uniquely.

Comment

Pete,

Miss the "Like" for Miles. I've owned the Gil Evans collaborations for years and love them each uniquely.
                  I doubt there has been a better collaborator in modern jazz than Miles. His ability to bring out the magic in others is uncanny. Of those collaborations his work with Gil Evans is matched only by his work with Coltrane and his Hancock/Williams/Carter/Shorter Quintet. The arrangements Evans & Davis produced over almost 2 decades continue to delight & amaze. The shimmering arrangement of 'Concierto de Aranjuez still gives me shivers.

As I've already posted that, here is some live magic. Glad this got saved for posterity.

sigpic

Comment

• Aranjuez IS extraordinary. I'd love to know more about the particular objective(s) Miles had in mind with these Gil Evans collaborations. Who approached who and why they did so? When you consider how he was moving simultaneously towards a septet sized modal sound when performing live, something as disciplined, elaborate and tight as this was an entirely different direction.

Comment

• We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• Small Faces covering McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed"-

Very soulful rendition. Stewart had an absolutely astounding voice.

Comment

• At his best Rod was a stunning interpreter of other people's work. Great track S2. A perfect song for the Faces.

He turned this little noticed Crazy Horse song (by the late Danny Whitten) into his own.

A Cat Stevens classic. These two were released as a double A side.

Even as late as the 80s he could still turn it on, this time with old buddy Geoff Beck on a Curtis Mayfield classic.

sigpic

Comment

• Follow the bouncing ball (and try not to get confused).

Luke Kelly & the Dubliners do Ewan MacColl.

Roberta Flack does Ewan MacColl.

Rod Stewart does Ewan MacColl.

Billy Bragg does Billy Bragg.

Kristy MacColl does Billy Bragg. He added an extra verse for her which Billy now sings in all his shows in tribute to her.

The Pogues & Kristy MacColl

The Pogues do Ewan MacColl

The Pogues do Rod Stewart

sigpic

Comment

• Pete,

I see you working that full circle connectivity thingy. Nice. Special kudos for Ms. Flack and a song that stops me in my tracks, always, to be heard and savored before again moving on. My world stops the moment she sings that song.

Comment

• Few are aware of the earlier Byrds version of this after the success had by the Doobie Bros. but here's a great rendition from the Fillmore East of Jesus Is Just Alright-

Comment

Working...
                                X