No announcement yet.

Best Cover Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good argument here for leaving well enough alone. Bob Seger manages it best (no surprise there) - apparently he mentioned to Rod Stewart he was doing it & hey presto! - guess Rod the sellout couldn't even steal with originality by then. As a result Bob chose not to release it. Pity, his version would have been a more worthy hit. Rod's cover is passable, but only if you can get over the same faux emotion he has been churning out for decades (proof that even he can't kill a classic). Patti Smyth just completely overdoes it. The original is still the best....by a fairly wide margin.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Seger Covers Ike & Tina Along With Van Morrison

Nutbush City Limits-

I've Been Working-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Don't know if I posted this already, but it's an awesome cover nonetheless:

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

BR,

I suspect either you or I posted this at some point, but no matter. All three versions are worthy of re-posting.
          sigpic

Comment

The Maestro hard at work accompanied by some awesome vocals to produce what is truly a masterpiece and a wonderful tribute:

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Keep On Running

Originally written and performed by Jamaican reggae artist Jackie Edwards, Keep On Running became a big UK #1 uptempo R&B hit for the Spencer Davis Group in November 1965.

Yeah, you don't know the song until you hear it but with Winwood's vocals you'll immediately say, "Ahhh, that's right...Keep On Running"-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

3 month old thread. I can Necro

Original

80s version by soft cell

Better Version by Marilyn Manson

Last edited by Gun Grape; 21 Jan 12,, 23:32.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this thread back, Gunny.

One of my favorite tunes of all time....turned into a disco beat. I actually like the cover version also....

Last edited by YellowFever; 22 Jan 12,, 01:17.

Comment

I forgot how much I loved this thread.

One of my fav Euro-trash songs by RAF...covered by Laura Branigan the same year. Laura hit it big with it but RAF didn't.

Comment

Mods/Admins, this thread is just too good to let it die again.

If shek and Benny approves, can you merge this thread with this one?

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/mul...ver-songs.html

Comment

Benny,

Eric Burdon/Animals is my favourite version, but the song was written for & first recorded by Nina Simone. She once confronted him about it “So you’re the honky who stole my song and got a hit out of it?” (she wasn't actually the author). He hit back that there were guys sitting in prisons all over the south whose songs she had made hits & she had never paid them a dime. Apparently they became firm friends thereafter.

I always like the Elvis Costello version too.

sigpic

Comment

OK, in my 6 year illustrative career of posting at WAB, I'm been insulted many times.

Troll
                          Yellow Belly
                          Yeller
                          An ugly mo fo
                          And ass kisser
                          etc....

But this:

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Benny......
                          is by far the worst insult ever!

I never heard of the Elvis Costello version before.....WOW!

Comment

Two of my all time favourites..

And (I know some will hate this:D )

This shirt got me into trouble once

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                              OK, in my 6 year illustrative career of posting at WAB, I'm been insulted many times.

Troll
                              Yellow Belly
                              Yeller
                              An ugly mo fo
                              And ass kisser
                              etc....

But this:

is by far the worst insult ever!
                              Consider it punishment for posting that godawful Eurodisco trash. Not even the whitefro & the odd facial expressions can salvage it. Besides, what are you so upset about, have you seen a photo of Ben? I sort of assuming you are more Kim Jong Un than Daniel Dae Kim, so I just upgraded you to 'handsome'. Some people just can't be pleased.

I never heard of the Elvis Costello version before.....WOW!
                              Yep, mr MacManus knows his shit alright. If you ever want to see the best music chat show ever made, track down the 2 seies of 'spectacle'. Super intelligent music chat wiht some pretty cool folk plus some damed fine music. Oh, and he's married to Diana Krall. Colour me impressed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hated the books, don't plan on watching the film, but the film has a great cover of Zeppelin's the Immigrant Song:

Comment

Working...
                                X