No announcement yet.

Best Cover Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclectic picks Eric (not sure about the Rob Zombie one). Imagine my surprise at finding out you like Ted Nugent. ;)
    Last edited by Bigfella; 20 Apr 11,, 12:26.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Clackers brought up Elvis Costello, here's one I had no idea was a cover. Saw him do it with Bruce Springsteen on TV recently - very good indeed. This is definately a case of Costello making the sing 'his own' - The Sam & Dave version is VERY differnt.

The Costello original:

And the original by Sam & Dave:

sigpic

Comment

Not sure if this is technically a cover, but I'm putting it in. Like the original. LOVE the version with Anthrax - put it on a good stereo & just wait for the bass to blow your hair back.

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of Anthrax....who wold have thought they would not only do a Joe jackson song, but do a great version (the Joe Jackson clip is a bit irritating& probably bad if you have epilepsy - sorry).

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of metal, a fine effort from WASP (still prefer the Who, but a good version).

This clip doesn't contain the full song, but it has the opening of the film 'Quadrophenia', so that makes up for it

sigpic

Comment

Saw these guys live on monday night. They didn't play this, but I still love it (I like both versions - different but great).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                Eclectic picks Eric (not sure about the Rob Zombie one). Imagine my surprise at finding out you like Ted Nugent. ;)

Comment

BF, thanks for those Sam & Dave covers. I've been a fan for years and knew of the ZZTop one, but didn't know anyone did Can't stand up for falling down.

Here is another that I ran across........

I really enjoyed the Fab T-birds when they were on top. Great sound, did justice to thier covers IMO........

Comment

sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

While I would consider a “cover version” to be a second take on what was already a fairly famous song, it would take a smaller mind than mine to find fault with House of the Rising Sun, or Mr Tambourine Man, but here are a couple for consideration—

The Grateful Dead’s Me and Bobby McGee, by Kris Kristofferson
                      The Grateful Dead’s Johnny B. Goode, by Chuck Berry
                      The Rolling Stones Little Red Rooster, by Willie Dixon, from Charlie Patton and others
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

Wisconsin,

This ukelele fetish is getting a wee bit disturbing...Didn't mind their version until they started doing Sinatra songs. The Bowie version is a favourite of mine. Such evocative images.
                        sigpic

Comment

Zoot were a popular group in Australia in the late 70s. They were best known for their all pink outfits, the later success of several members and this cover. Lead singer Darryl Cotton went on to host a successful children's show. Guitarist Beeb Birtles went on to form the Little River band and Rick Springfield went on to a successful career in music & TV.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            In the Masters Class

You have Bob Dylans All Along the Watchtower as covered by Jimi Hendrix.

Even Dylan said Hendrix did the best version

All others pale in comparison

I was gonna post All along the watchtower...

But Hendrix' version was the best perhaps back then, but check out the relatively recent version by Bear Mcreary.

Similarly compared to Bowie's Man who sold the world, Nirvana's better.

Comment

DOR Reply

Long been a fan of the Dead's Me & Bobby McGee as found on the 1971 Skull & Roses live album. They'd evolved by that point into a nice, tight snappy lil' psychedelic country outfit with one drummer.

Johnny B. Goode from the same album was also a classic.

I've posted Wharf Rat and Not Fade Away/Goin' Down The Road elsewhere from that LP btw.

Nice version of Merle Haggard's Mama Tried preceded by Me And My Uncle from the same album-

Last edited by S2; 15 Jun 11,, 03:27.
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I've probably posted this one before, but mortality is on the mind tonight, so it is up again. Not sure if this technically counts as a cover, as the same two people sing on both original versions. Andy Prieboy (ex wall of voodoo) wrote this about a friend of his who contracted HIV & eventually took her own life. Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Bolnde sang background & one verse on his version & recorded on with her band. Haunting.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X