Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American being based on Christianity is a Falacy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because they talked like that when they translated the Bible.

If there was a more accurate modern-englih translation, we'd use it. Unfortunately, there isn't. One day I'd like to work on a new translation, but it is a mammoth task.
    SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

So you can waste several years of your life for something that will never advance your life in anyway.

Comment

Actually the version of Greek that the KJV was translated out of was called Coinae Greek (actually I dont remember how to spell it but thats what the dialect was). It was the purest dialect of Greek ever. When it was translated, it was translated into Elizabethen English at the height of its purity in terms of linguistics. This is the language of Shakespear and the other writers. Since then English has become a language of slang and and is considered diluted as compared to the Old English. This is why in theological / and Biblical Academic circles the KJV is considered the most accurate version of the original texts. it was translated from one pure language to another. Youre right noone speaks Old English anymore, thats what makes it such a clean version. It says what it means and means what it says.
        "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Eh, I have to humbly disagree with the assertation that the KJV is an accurate translation. Most Bible scholars agree on this.
          On the other hand, you are correct about the first part of your posts. The Bible was translated many times long before the KJV. I offer the Greek Septuagint as just one example.
          I also understand that the New International Version is written in clear Modern English with no slang.
          Getting back to the KJV, my biggest problem with it are the words and phrases that were used way back then but only confuse people now.
          The Bible's original languages were Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. At the time each book of the Bible was written, it was in the common language of the time. It was written for the common person. I would submit the opinion that the same should hold true today.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I don't recall the Bible ever being written in Arameic...
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Very small parts of some of the later parts were written in Arameic. The vast majority was written in Hebrew of course :)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Aramaic is a dialect of Hebrew, if I am not mistaken. It was the language Jesus spoke, I don't know if that was the language in the Bible.

Comment

Good point about Aramaic, I didnt know that.
                  As I recall, the New Testament was written in Greek, the common Greek of the time, not the Classical Greek that the scholars spoke.

Comment

Yes, Arameic and Hebrew are alike, but there are also some very striking simliraties between Arameic and English/German.
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Same thing with Yiddish and German as I recall

Comment

Yiddish is just a warped version of English and German. Same way that Ladino is a warped version of Spanish and Puertogese

Comment

My friend in NYC told me about a time her and her late husband were backpacking through Europe. They set up camp next a German couple who spoke no English. They were able to communicate though because her husband spoke Yiddish. Between their German and his Yiddish, they were able to communicate will enough.
                          I read somewhere that Yiddish was a combination of German and Hebrew. Anybody heard that too?

Comment

That is later Yiddish, when people were already seriously settling Israel. Since some places actually forbade the speaking of Yiddish, being in the Holy Land and all, Hebrew was integrated into Yiddish to help people learn.

Comment

Ahhh...most interesting.
                              My friend has lamented that Yiddish is a dying language. She understands quite a bit but doesnt speak it as well as her late husband.

Comment

BR, Im reform and I dont think we changed the Torah. We do what the Conservatives do, which is, whatever we want (lol), but we didnt change the book. In Canada at least, there has been a revival of tradition in the past few years and Reform Synagogues are more and more resembling the Conservative ones.

As for the US being founded on Christianity, I think that there were two reasons why Church and State were separated (there are many reasons why it should be that way, but I think only 2 really mattered back then). The first was because the a lot of visionaries wanted the US to become a new Roman Republic, and the other is because European nations didnt have a separation. The US was trying to show emphatically how uneuropean they were. Im not American and so I wasnt raised on US history so these points could be way off. If they are, please tell me.

Comment

Working...
                                X