Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$220,000 uparmored Humvee "inadequate" - solutions, workarounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackal

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
    They have? I have heard nothing of this nor can I track anything down, how many did they purchase Kernow ?...............

I know it is a very versatile vehicle, generally liked but a couple of the negative points I have heard.... Open for crew vulnerable to sniper fire, and no V shaped hull ......... best suited to special ops teams is the opinion I have heard most

Jackal (vehicle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jackal armoured vehicle - British Army Website

Jackal 1 and 2 (MWMIK) | Armoured Vehicles - Tanks, APC, IFV and much more!

Special Operations Vehicles - Supacat Jackal - SOV Candidate - Special Reconnaissance - Quick Reaction Vehicle - CASR Background - CSOR & JTF2 - Supacat MWMIK - Mobility Weapons Mounted Installation Kit - HMT 400 - Supacat 4x4 - Canadian Special Oper
    http://specialforce.info/392/special...ancing-Banana:

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunder View Post
      I'll be buggered, the Turks still use those Mason Mounts...?

I've often thought that a modularised remote one mounted on the back of a tray top of a Bushmaster would be a pretty good way of providing some nasty fire-power relatively cheaply.
      I second that!!

Regards
      Pioneer

Comment

• Hold on JLTV is coming . . .

The Humvee may need to be replaced, but let's remember the humvee was never designed to do the job it is now doing. Originally designed as replacement for the venerable jeep, the humvee has done everything the US has asked for and more. It has been retrofitted with new armor and engines in an ongoing arms race to stay ahead of a thinking enemy. However, with all the adaptations it still not the best vehicle for the task of transporting troops on a asymmetrical battlefield.
        Recognizing this DOD is sinking increasing vanishing dollars into getting a designed replacement to the force to relieve the Humvee of the mission it has done so well for so long. The JLTV is designed to be a diesel and hybrid electric version, with greater survivability, greater fuel economy, with increased reliability, more payload and power, while offering the same or better mobility as the HMMWV. The JLTV is required to be air transportable by CH-47, CH-53, and C-130, while also being MPF and Amphibious capability. The JLTV is also required to have semi active suspension with variable height management to prevent crew fatigue, 20 percent better fuel economy than the HMMWV, haul 6000lbs in jointly developed trailer, have 90 percent commonality, and cost $305,000 -$340,000 per vehicle.
        This cost of 300Ks is an important factor as the main competition to the JLTV is the MRAP family of vehicles with a price tag of 900,000 per vehicle. In a time of tighter budgets, a vehicle that costs less and is more versatile, while maintaining or exceeding the capabilities of the vehicle replace is a step in the right direction. Furthermore, there is nothing in the inventory which meets the current capabilities of the Humvee, or the future capabilities of the JLTV. To use a MRAP, Stryker, or some other vehicle will still expose the US to capabilities gaps which can be exploited by the enemy.

Comment

• Junius Lofton Reply

Junius,

We really like two things here at WAB-

1.) Newbies who are considerate enough to take the time to introduce themselves properly in our NEW MEMBERS section. This is done by creating a thread and telling us a bit about yourself. Feel free to tell us a good bit about yourself. The NEW MEMBERS section is located at the top of the home-page and is quite difficult to miss.

In conjunction with that, we strongly encourage you to read the forum guidelines while also taking a moment to go over Zraver's Completely Unofficial Guide To Surviving The WAB. Both will do wonders for your future prospects among us.

2.) Finally, we also love those who'll use paragraphs as an integral part of their writing style. It really helps to separate differing thoughts while taking into consideration the eyes of those who might be interested in your contribution.

Hope you'll heed these suggestions as they'll make things a lot easier for you at the WAB. The WABBITs of WABBITville can be an ornery lot for strangers with bad manners.;)

Welcome. It gets worse from here for those practicing noncompliance.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
          X