Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revolution in Egypt and the wider Arab world?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the momentum is being kept up ,where/who next i wonder ,ivordinnerjacket maybe

Britain has called on Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi to cease violence against unarmed protesters amid reports that as many as 300 people may have been killed in increasingly bloody scenes in the north African country.

Foreign Secretary William Hague denounced the Libyan authorities' use of force as "dreadful and horrifying", and called on Gaddafi to respect the human rights of his people.

Mr Hague cited unverified reports of 200 or more protesters being killed by sniper fire, machine guns and even heavy artillery such as anti-aircraft missiles.

But an opposition figure based in Dubai, Mohammed Abdullah of the Libyan Salvation Front, quoted hospital officials in the city of Benghazi saying the death toll may have reached 300.

Mr Hague told Sky News's Murnaghan programme: "I think we have to increase the international pressure and condemnation. The United Kingdom condemns what the Libyan Government has been doing and how they have responded to these protests, and we look to other countries to do the same."

The Foreign Secretary stopped short of demanding the removal of Gaddafi from power, insisting that the UK Government does not express opinions on who should lead sovereign nations overseas.

"That will be resolved within Libya," he said. "We are not going to start saying who should go and who should come. These are sovereign nations.

"But what Colonel Gaddafi should be doing is respecting basic human rights and there is no sense of that in the dreadful response, the horrifying response, of the Libyan authorities to these protests."

Internet access has been shut down and the movements of foreign journalists are strictly controlled, so only patchy information has emerged from Libya about exactly what is happening.

But Mr Hague warned: "It is very important to make clear that the world is watching, despite the fact that TV cameras don't have access and we can't see on our screens the sort of pictures we have seen from Egypt and Bahrain.
    Last edited by tankie; 20 Feb 11,, 15:17.

Comment

I welcome Hague's comments, but British actions in the last few years regarding Libya are suspect and should not be forgotten.

Britain's alliance with Libya turns sour as Gaddafi cracks down | World news | The Observer

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
        I welcome Hague's comments, but British actions in the last few years regarding Libya are suspect and should not be forgotten.

Britain's alliance with Libya turns sour as Gaddafi cracks down | World news | The Observer

Well I for one say keep out of it , let them sort it for themselves and yes I remeber the sickening handshake with gaddafi from b'liar while remembering Locherbie and WPC Fletcher .

Comment

tankie, et al,

Sound advice!
          Originally posted by tankie View Post
          Well I for one say keep out of it , let them sort it for themselves and yes I remeber the sickening handshake with gaddafi from b'liar while remembering Locherbie and WPC Fletcher .
          (COMMENT)

Yes, over time, diplomacy does seem to comeback and haunt us.

BUT! Allowing a nation of people to choose their own destiny does seem a wiser course of action.

Most Respectfully,
          R

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoR View Post
            tankie, et al,

Sound advice!
            (COMMENT)

Yes, over time, diplomacy does seem to comeback and haunt us.

BUT! Allowing a nation of people to choose their own destiny does seem a wiser course of action.

Most Respectfully,
            R
            I agree, diplomacy is never perfect and all too often we find out how truly awful some of our "friends" are. I think that allowing regional affairs to run their course is wise, but democratic countries should still stand up for pro-democracy movements as a whole.

Comment

Egypt has kicked off again attacking the Israeli embassy forcing the Ambassador to flee , will Israel retaliate ? watch this space .

Comment

Egypt has kicked off again attacking the Israeli embassy forcing the Ambassador to flee , will Israel retaliate ? watch this space .
                Israel will tread carefully over this one but they won't let it pass unnoticed

Comment

I doubt any development in Egypt goes unnoticed.

So far so good,no surprises in Egypt. Politics tend to become boring.So predictible.
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    I doubt any development in Egypt goes unnoticed.

So far so good,no surprises in Egypt. Politics tend to become boring.So predictible.
                    You are so old, that's why :)
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

You could show that by starting to pay me respects .You could help me cross the street for example.
                      Those who know don't speak
                      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                        Israel will tread carefully over this one but they won't let it pass unnoticed
                        Will for now, but will be remembered unless nice sweets are given by 'bad' Egyptians.

Comment

It is expected and it will only get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                            It is expected and it will only get worse.
                            Lets hope your wrong mate , but sadly you may be very correct , instead of jaw jaw its:tank: :slap:

Comment

Israel won't and as i said earlier Egypt's got bigger problems to deal with right now than a conflict with Israel.

I see this move as a way to allow 'venting', yes they actually alowed ppl to go do this. Now they have a pretext to clamp down until the elections are held. So the objective clearly is inward looking as opposed to outward. No govt in Egypt still and peace & order has to be maintained until such time.

As for the last few comments, you guys already made up your mind what the future will be and are now using that to explain the current actions

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                Israel won't and as i said earlier Egypt's got bigger problems to deal with right now than a conflict with Israel.

I see this move as a way to allow 'venting', yes they actually alowed ppl to go do this. Now they have a pretext to clamp down until the elections are held. So the objective clearly is inward looking as opposed to outward. No govt in Egypt still and peace & order has to be maintained until such time.

As for the last few comments, you guys already made up your mind what the future will be and are now using that to explain the current actions
                                You have no idea, how much I would like that you are right and that these matters work like you think. I am not sarcastic or cynical, I would honestly love that these things work like you are saying and I would be the happiest man on the planet if I am wrong about these things. I am doing analysis and studies for the past 21 years and my results were always correct, always. It is a heavy burden to carry, being able to know but not being able to do anything about it. I pray that I am wrong on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X