Moscow Airport suicide bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest in Peace.
    My condolences to the family and friends of the victims.
    Hope the Russian authorities identify the perpetrators fast....

and after that I feel some scums need to die real fast.
    sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Or die real slow, it doesn't make much of a difference
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

RIP to the victims, condolences to the family

good luck to those in the hunt

Comment

Moscow airport bomb: suicide bombers were part of squad trained in Pakistan

The two suicide bombers who carried out the Moscow attack were thought to be part of a suicide squad trained in Pakistan's al-Qaeda strongholds sent to the capital to target the city's transport system.

Moscow airport bomb: suicide bombers were part of squad trained in Pakistan - Telegraph

Comment

If true , there's no surprise .

Comment

My question was somewhat rhetorical - the classic "Why did this happen?" - but it got some thoughtful answers.

May the dead RIP and those responsible meet an appropriate fate. The world is spiraling into anarchy.

Comment

And now we have an admission

Breaking News

'
                Chechen warlord claims Moscow airport attack

42 mins ago
                AFP Maria Antonova

The leader of Islamist militants in Russia's North Caucasus on Tuesday claimed last month's bombing of Moscow's main airport as President Dmitry Medvedev fired a raft of security officers over the attack.

Doku Umarov, the head of a Chechnya-based rebel group that aims to enforce Islamic rule, also issued a chilling warning of more suicide strikes in a video two weeks after the attack at Domodedovo airport which killed 36 people.

"This special operation was carried out on my orders," said the bearded militant in a video posted on the Kavkaz Centre website which is the main channel for messages by North Caucasus rebels.

"God willing, these special operations will be carried out in the future," said the leader of the Caucasus Emirate rebel group.

"There is no doubt of this, as we will have hundreds of brothers who will be ready to sacrifice themselves for the sake of enforcing the word of Allah and to avenge the enemies of Allah," he said.

Umarov, whom Russian special forces have repeatedly tried and failed to kill over the last few years, was shown wearing a black skullcap and khaki military fatigues, apparently speaking from inside a tent.

Umarov last year also claimed the suicide attacks on the Moscow metro in March carried out by female suicide bombers that killed 40 and wounded dozens during the morning rush hour.

He said the January 24 airport attack staged at the international arrivals hall was aimed at avenging Russia's crimes in the North Caucasus region and warned Prime Minister Vladimir Putin future attacks could be even deadlier.

"I am showing the Putin regime one more time that we can carry out these operations wherever and whenever we want," Umarov said.

"This is proof again that we can carry out these operations and we can execute more aggressive operations against you."

While there was no official reaction to Umarov's claim, the Kremlin did announce that several members of the FSB security service had been sacked for failures that led to the bombing.

"The head of the Federal Security Service gave (Medvedev) a list of employees responsible for miscalculations in their work, who were fired for inadequately carrying out their responsibilities," Kremlin spokeswoman Natalia Timakova was quoted by the ITAR-TASS agency as saying.

If the investigation shows that more security service employees were at fault, "they, too, will be punished," she said.

In a statement, the FSB said only that "several high-ranking officers have been called to account" over the Domodedovo blast.

The Kremlin has fought two post-Soviet wars against separatist rebels in Chechnya, but the insurgency has now become more Islamist in tone and has spread to neighbouring regions such as Ingushetia and Dagestan.

There had been confusion last year over Umarov's role in the insurgency when the rebel -- also known by his nom-de-guerre of Abu Usman -- retracted an announcement that he was stepping down and vowed to carry on the insurgency.

But in a return to prominence as the Kremlin's number one foe, Umarov had warned last week in a separate message that Russia would see a year of "blood and tears."

In the latest message, he also adopted the rhetoric of militants around the world, railing against the Western role in Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan.

"When our brothers and sisters are killed the whole world stays silent but when we hit back -- which is our right -- everyone throws themselves on us," he said.

Umarov called on Russia to prevent more bloodshed and "leave the Caucasus", a region where Russian rule dates back to the Tsarist era.

The Kremlin has repeatedly said giving up the Caucasus and negotiating with "terrorists" was not an option.

Russian security officials have said the Domodedovo airport bombing attack was carried out by a 20-year-old from one of the North Caucasus republics who was high on drugs.

Umarov has evaded capture in the thickly forested valleys of the Caucasus mountains for almost two decades, although Russian authorities have several times prematurely announced his death.

He was known as an ally of notorious rebel chief Shamil Basayev, who claimed to have led dozens of bloody attacks, including the infamous 2004 Beslan school hostage siege that killed over 330 people, most of them children

Comment

Well I think Mr Umarov has blown any chance of a quick death, Im certain that when (not if) the mvd/spetsnatz do finally bring him to justice his death will be extracted most slowly and agonisingly.

Suppose it's a good thing that CNN won't be there to broadcast any Russian 'war crimes'...
                  The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                    Well I think Mr Umarov has blown any chance of a quick death, Im certain that when (not if) the mvd/spetsnatz do finally bring him to justice his death will be extracted most slowly and agonisingly.

Suppose it's a good thing that CNN won't be there to broadcast any Russian 'war crimes'...
                    I don't think they will bring him anywhere. There will be an tragic accident where he will be found with self inflicted knife and bullet wounds. A terrible suicide.

Comment

The world will be puzzled how a person could stab himself so many times, and manage to reload after shooting himself 20 or 30 times ...
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

He was a very determined bloke
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

on a more strategic level, i find it interesting that no one has asked why it is that the russians continue to suffer such large-casualty attacks.

simply put the russians are brutal to the enemies they catch but can no longer execute the massive population transfers and disappearances that stalin used to do on a regular basis. the russians devastated chechnya at the cost of almost ruining the russian military, both morale and professionalism wise. yet at the same time, enough survivors were left to ensure that originally secular opposition started to rely on the foreign religious extremists.

in short the russians got all the downsides of brutality with none of the supposed upsides. if i were putin (and i thank god that i'm not, despite the WAB thread here) i'd try to pull a tibet, where millions of russian colonists would rush in to change the demographics of the area.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

IMO, I dont care what the Russians do to him and his bunch. They deserve everything they recieve.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Astralis,

Have you read The Scythians by any chance? I think it neatly captures how the Russians (at least the ruling Siloviki) see themselves vs how the people further west see them in this regards. Also, I think they Don't - it is slightly different than they Can't and it is for the better for all.

Comment

Charges brought ?????????

A Chechen rebel warlord has been charged with organising a suicide attack at a Moscow airport in January that killed 37 people, Russia's top investigative agency says.

Doku Umarov said he ordered the bombing in a video posted last month and warned of more attacks if Russia does not allow the Caucasus to become an independent Islamic state.

Around 180 people were injured in the blast at the country's busy Domodedovo airport on January 24.

However, Russian media has reported that Umarov may have been among 17 militants killed in a raid in Ingushetia on Monday.

The Investigative Committee said authorities had also detained two brothers during the security raid, on charges of helping stage the bombing.

Spokesman Vladimir Markin said the two men drove the alleged suicide bomber, 20-year-old Magomed Yevloyev, to the airport.

Umarov has claimed an array of terrorist attacks, including the double suicide bombing of the Moscow subway system a year ago that killed 40 people.

Ingushetia's leader, Yunus-Bek Yevkurov, has said some militant leaders were among those killed, but added it was too early to name any names pending investigation.

Russian officials have repeatedly claimed in the past that Umarov was killed, but he has survived numerous security missions.

Chechen rebels have fought two separatist wars against Russian forces since 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X