Happy 100th Birthday To The Aircraft Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 100th Birthday To The Aircraft Carrier

It was only a few years after the Wright Brothers that inventors contemplated whether airplanes could be launched from a ship. Today, on the 100th anniversary, here's the story of the man who did it first.

One hundred years is a very long time. Yet in the hierarchy of modern marvels, the ability to recover and launch aircraft from the deck of a moving ship stands out as one of our most signature accomplishments. Which just goes to show you: Some tricks never grow old.

Happy 100th Birthday To The Aircraft Carrier

Eugene Ely Invented Naval Aviation, Exactly 100 Years Ago In San Francisco - Telstar Logistics
    Attached Files

Yes it is. Took Saturday off because the Hornet is celebrating the 100 years anniversary with some events. I'll be down there moving between the hanger deck and deck 7 to operate Elevator 1 for plane movements. Think this is the last time for the forward elevator to operate as it is time to repack 6 valves, rebuild two pumps and reseal the hydraulic ram on 4th deck.

Comment

There are still people alive old enough to remember the entire history of powered flight....

1903- first powered flight
      1911- first aircraft carrier
      1939- first jet
      1942- first man made powered aircraft to reach space
      1947- sound barrier broken
      1953- mach 2 broken in manned/powered flight
      1957- first man made object in orbit/first vertebrae earthling in orbit
      1959- first man made object to reach another celestial body
      1961- first man in space
      1962- first interplanetary mission
      1964- first pictures of another planet
      1969- first manned tripped to another celestial body
      1970- first inter-planetary mission w/landing
      1971- first space station
      1981- first reusable space craft
      1990- first ever photo of the entire inner solar system from beyond Pluto.

Comment

I'm currently (well...not at this exact moment since I'm at work) watching a DVD set called Century of Flight. Those early pioneers of aviation had some serious balls to do what they did. It was a different time and a different mentality. They would risk their lives to prove someone wrong in a heart beat.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Gotta love the bicycle innertube wrapped around the chest as a "Life Jacket".

Its a shame that he was never accepted by the Navy. The first carrier pilot was a Lt in the National Guard.

Comment

The Carriers in PNSY 2011. USS Forrestal CV59 and the USS John F Kennedy CV67.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 05 Feb 11,, 16:47.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

USS John F. Kennedy CV67
              Attached Files

Comment

A couple great hulls ready for conversion to giant battleships

We could cut them down and add a dozen VLS arrays and 6 x 16" AGS triple turrets. plus a half dozen 5" guns and a full dozen goal keepers...
                Of course they will need the all lastest sensors and Aegis.
                Yes I know, they won't do it....
                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 Feb 11,, 18:55.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Those hulls have a lot more miles on them then the Iowa Class ships. Heck, Forrestal is only about 15 years newer than the last BB's.

Comment

What I can say is this.. I wouldnt have much of these pics without my bros.;)

Comment

Good times, in the old Philly yard. A fine way to spend a frigid winter day.

Comment

A little model of the day...
                        Attached Files

Comment

E Ely

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Its a shame that he was never accepted by the Navy. The first carrier pilot was a Lt in the National Guard.
                          Could not agree with you more about him. Very brave man indeed.

I wonder who the first British officer to fly a plane off a ship was. Can't forget the contributions of the Royal Navy and Admiral Fisher in the development of the Carrier. FYI, Not sure, but he may have been a relative of mine!
                          Last edited by Archdude; 06 Feb 11,, 03:42. Reason: Add another comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Was he not made a Lt. in the California National Guard right after his take off from the Birmingham? Now when was the first US Navy air station established back then (1914?) as Ely was dead 9 months after his feat on the Pennsylvania.

Comment

Originally posted by Archdude View Post
                              Could not agree with you more about him. Very brave man indeed.

I wonder who the first British officer to fly a plane off a ship was. Can't forget the contributions of the Royal Navy and Admiral Fisher in the development of the Carrier. FYI, Not sure, but he may have been a relative of mine!

Found this little snippet that may help:

"On the morning of 21st August 1917, Zeppelin L23 was sighted. HMS Yarmouth having been fitted with a special "fly off" platform launched one of her Beardmore built Sopwith Pups flown by Second Lieutenant B.A.Smart. Smart climbed to 7000 ft. above the L23 and dived to attack it. As Smart broke off his attack, he saw the Zeppelin going down in flames. With no provision for landing back on ship, Smart had to ditch his aircraft, but was picked up safely. The Pup however, could not be recovered. No survivors of the L23 were found.
                              This was the first time an aircraft had taken off from a moving ship to engage the enemy. Smart was awarded the DSO for this action"

Comment

Working...
                              X