Tom Clancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lunatock
    Never got into the Jack Ryan Stories yet, but I'm about halfway through Teeth Of The Tiger (first Clancy novel I've picked up)
    Technically of the Jack Ryan universe, though only featuring relatives of the Ryanverse characters.

It had it's good points I guess, but not the incredible re-readability of Red Storm Rising or Hunt For Red October
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Its hard to choose, but I guess I'd have to go with Sum of all Fears, but Red Storm Rising and Without Remorse are close behind. For years it was Red Storm, but it did become dated rather quickly.
      Rule 303

Comment

I think that Without Remorse is probably his best novel, but Red Storm Rising is the one I have the most fun re-reading.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
          I think that Without Remorse is probably his best novel, but Red Storm Rising is the one I have the most fun re-reading.

-dale
          I also have a lot of fun re-reading Sum of All Fears
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            Red storm rising, without a doubt.
            Same here. I lose interest when he gets very far into the spook thing.
            The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
            Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
            - The Eagles

Comment

Actually the first Clancy book I read was Shadow Warriors: Inside The Spec Ops. But that was about real Spec Ops Warriors and actual missions.

Comment

I used t really like Clancy but I think he sucks now since the majority of his books are Ops Center books written with someone else. He used to rock but his time is past. None wil ever be as good a writer especially about covert bad guy operations as Jack Higgins. He is the master and of course the world is a much safer place because of Sean Dillon.
                "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

NEW YORK — J.K. Rowling (search) tops the list. Dan Brown (search) is ranked very high. William Shakespeare just missed out.

It's Amazon.com's top 25 best-selling authors.

The online retailer, celebrating its 10th anniversary, announced its biggest sellers Thursday, with Rowling no surprise at No. 1.

The " Harry Potter" author was followed by Spencer Johnson of "Who Moved My Cheese?" fame, romance novelist Nora Roberts and "The Da Vinci Code" author Brown.

Rounding out the top 10 were Dr. Seuss, John Grisham, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, "Left Behind" novelists Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins and business writer Jim Collins.

Shakespeare was No. 26, one notch below Tom Clancy.
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Worst book,
                    Bear and the Dragon

Best, Sum of All Fears, Hunt for Red October.

Best part in SOAF, the description of boomer warfare, a nice compliment to HFRO.
                    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Ooooo, I think "Rainbow 6" is his worst. True drek in my opinion.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg 166
                        I used t really like Clancy but I think he sucks now since the majority of his books are Ops Center books written with someone else. He used to rock but his time is past.
                        Agreed. I wish he would do more of his non-fiction Guided Tours.
                        The small paperback "updates" were written by someone else, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

red storm rising was my favourite, though most of his later stuff seems to be rather 'masterbatory' to me - does he fancy being shagged by some of the US SF community? 'coz thats how he comes across....

his - latterly - blatant ignorance/avoidence of the very international realities that made his first books worth reading is hugely annoying.

i won't bother reading anymore of his (?) outpourings.
                          before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, and without remorse are my favs.

Rainbow Six, Sum of all Fears, The Cardinal of the Kremlin are all worth reading....once.

I liked the last 700 pages of The Bear and the Dragon, the first 700 were a little slow

I fully agree about the op-center books, I read one about the american navy vs the chinese or russian navy and every american torpedo hit and every counter-measure worked. I think by the end of the war the Chinese(or Russian dont remeber)navy was gone and the U.S lost one sub or something so ridiculous that I have not read a Tom Clancy novel since.

Comment

Best moment in Bear and Dragon.

Su-27 has limited endurence.
                              When I read that, I knew that it was time to demand a refund from that rather nice salesgirl at Saeed Books. Never trust a Pathani. And the part about an attack on an ICBM field............
                              "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X