This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bbvet View Post

TBM3FAN . Now, in contrast, go visit USS YORKTOWN at Patriots Point, SC - THAT'S a wonderful, well maintained museum ship. I have not had the privilege to visit HORNET yet, but if I ever get to the left coast, I will make that a priority visit!

Hank
    Too bad deep below decks it isn't so dry and cozy. Plus she has been somewhat modified for the ease of visitors. Meanwhile there have been no modifications made to the Hornet for the ease of visitors or any other reason other than two hanger deck rest rooms. Below decks some volunteers are still trying to find the location on the keel where USS Kearsarge was engraved before the name was changed. Other than lack of good air it is dry way down below.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      Too bad deep below decks it isn't so dry and cozy. Plus she has been somewhat modified for the ease of visitors. Meanwhile there have been no modifications made to the Hornet for the ease of visitors or any other reason other than two hanger deck rest rooms. Below decks some volunteers are still trying to find the location on the keel where USS Kearsarge was engraved before the name was changed. Other than lack of good air it is dry way down below.
      Unfortunately, the general public (me!) isn't privy to some of the more elusive areas that you, as a volunteer, are able to see. I wasn't aware of below decks problems on YORKTOWN, but it doesn't surprise me. Common with museum ships, I guess (lack of scheduled maintenance, etc.). Not all the ships are maintained to the same degree and this simply (IMHO) represents the politics getting involved where decisions should be based on needs and requirements.

Comment

That statement is not quite true - NEW JERSEY has had Turret 2 barbette altered by physically removing portions of the circular projectile handling areas below the turret in order to provide a space for visitors to see the loading procedures for the turret. This has permanently altered the integrity of these spaces rendering (for all intents and purposes) the turret useless. In addition, IOWA has never had her Turret 2 rebuilt after the 1989 turret explosion.

The other limiting factor in any recomm of IOWAs is the simple fact that very few experienced crewmen are available today to man these ships. We were lucky in 1967-68 to be able to find without any trouble IOWA class veterans from the mid-50s who were either still in the Navy or were willing to re-enlist. That was a bit harder in the '80s for recomm of all 4 IOWAs and I dare say now would be quite difficult.

While the museum alterations are probably reversible (plumbing/elec/HVAC etc) the turret conditions (mentioned above) are not. Theoretically speaking, I could only slightly see IOWA or WISCONSIN being even remotely considered for reactivation, in spite of IOWAs Turret 2 condition. NEW JERSEY would require major machinery overhaul in addition to her Turret 2 conditions. I doubt MISSOURI would be considered as her political position in Pearl Harbor outweighs any usefulness at this point.

Just an opinion, nothing more. I seriously doubt any IOWAs will ever taste blue water again.

H. M. Strub
        exPN3, USN, USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62)
        X Division 09/68-12/69
        IIRC Rusty said that the barbette could he repaired but maybe I read that wrong. Hmm I'll look tomorrow. Also the Iowas turret apparently wasn't that bad and they have all the parts to repair it. Not advocating another recommission just saying ;)
        RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• Smooth bore Naval guns?

Random idea that I wanted to run by everyone. The M1 Abrams MBT uses a smoothbore cannon with specialized shells that stabilize it's flight thus not needing rifling and still able to penetrate armour. Now I did not look into this very well just using my limited knowledge on these but say someone wanted to build their own BB, is this a viable and cost effective (compared to IF we had the option to build a traditional gun TODAY) option on idea alone? Only thing I wasn't sure was range. Idea would be to have a smoothbore 16" gun that could use sabot rounds to extend the range. This is just a fun thought that I'm curious about.
          RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• Project HARP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_HARP

As far as being practical, or accurate the answer is No.

Comment

• Looking for Measured Drawings of Details

To finish my computer model, I am looking for measured drawings of the following Iowa class details:

Nixie Bolsters
              Armored Box Launchers
              Life Raft Holders
              Phalanx Guns
              SATCOM Antenna
              SQL-32 Antenna
              Bow Roller Chock
              16" Range Finder Hoods
              MK 37 Director
              MK 38 Director
              AN/SPS-6 Antenna
              AN/SPS-10 Antenna
              New Jersey/Iowa Bow Bulwark
              Funnel Caps

I'm willing to share the data I have.

Comment

• I was wondering if any of the experts knew the placement of the Iowa Class twin 20mm gun mounts. The four Iowa Class ended WW2 with a number (I believe 6 or 12) of twin 20mm mountings. I am trying to find out which 20mm mounts on the Iowa's as of 1945 were single or twin. I am building a model of USS Missouri as at the time of the September 1945 surrender ceremony and I'm questioning where the mounts go.

Thanks in advance,

Don Murphy

Comment

• Don,

Not to disparage or in any way downplay this forum, but if you're building a model of MISSOURI (circa 09/45), you probably would find many, if not all of your questions answered over on The Ship Model Forum (http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...hp?f=47&t=4683) - this link takes you directly to the Calling All USS IOWA (BB-61) Fans forum, which is set up for those building models of IOWA class battleships. The forum is devoted to MODELERS and so....what can I say??

But, since you asked - you didn't give any modeling details re. your project, but Sept. 45 is a end date for most WWII IOWA class models as it's the configuration at the end of hostilities. Since you are building MO, then any of the other 3 ships don't apply here. The ships all varied in their suite of 20mm mounts. Here are two photos of MISSOURI during 09/45 and I don't see any DUAL 20mm mounts - only singles:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	BB63x19-14Jul45_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	1475673Click image for larger version

Name:	BB63x22-2Sep45_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	1475674 While these photos do not show the entire ship, I feel confident that my answer is correct.

I am currently bashing the Trumpeter 1:200 scale MISSOURI kit in order to build a 1968-69 vintage NEW JERSEY. I don't believe the 1945 MISSOURI had any dual 20mm mounts as there are none in this kit and from that aspect only, the kit is quite correct.

Hope this helps,

HMS III - USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1968-69
                  Last edited by bbvet; 19 Dec 17,, 02:57. Reason: adding signature

Comment

• Just checked my copy of "The Floating Drydocks "BB-63 2 Sept 1945 Plan Book"

No twin 20mm.

Don, if you're building the Missouri at the surrender then you need to find the above book

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Just checked my copy of "The Floating Drydocks "BB-63 2 Sept 1945 Plan Book"

No twin 20mm.

Don, if you're building the Missouri at the surrender then you need to find the above book
                      Sumrall states all four ships had 8 twin 20mm mounts by April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
                        Sumrall states all four ships had 8 twin 20mm mounts by April 1945.
                        This is the problem I'm having. I have the Floating Drydock plans and also the Anatomy Of The Ship. AOTS lists twin 20's as well but doesn't state where they are.

Cheers,

Don

Comment

• Don,

It doesn't matter what AOTS says. Three separate and informed members just gave you the correct answer to your original question.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdm4791 View Post
                            AOTS lists twin 20's as well but doesn't state where they are.
                            This is an Anatomy of the Ship book for the Iowas? If so, when did that come out?

The text of Sumrall says;

"The Armament Summaries of the Bu Ord indicate that the Iowas were each fitted with eight twin 20mm mounts in 1945 for evaluation purposes. It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class."

Holy equivocation, Batman!
                            Last edited by bigjimslade; 19 Dec 17,, 16:55.

Comment

Don,

It doesn't matter what AOTS says. Three separate and informed members just gave you the correct answer to your original question.
                              With all due respect, Sumrall isn't to be taken lightly.

Cheers,

Don

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
                                This is an Anatomy of the Ship book for the Iowas? If so, when did that come out?

The text of Sumrall says;

"The Armament Summaries of the Bu Ord indicate that the Iowas were each fitted with eight twin 20mm mounts in 1945 for evaluation purposes. It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class."

Holy equivocation, Batman!
                                My apologies - it is the Sumrall book and not an AOTS. "It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class." An interesting reason to feel it occurred would be that USS Washington and USS North Carolina were in the same battle area and have numerous twin 20's. Now in an opposite turn of events, none of my NC texts mention twins yet they are there when you visit the ship.

Cheers,

Don

Comment

Working...
                                X