This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    I know when we got a docent tour of the Hornet a few years ago (being a Boy Scout helped!), they took us up to the auxiliary steering room, which was actually at the very front of the ship underneath the flight deck. On another impromptu docent-led tour, a docent took us down to the Forward Gyrocompass Room, and explained that there was another Gyrocompass Room towards the rear of the ship somewhere (we didn't get to go to that one). tbm could probably say more about this than I could.
    4th deck, underneath the crew scullery, port side.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Wny ...

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
      Mr. L,

I am in D.C. on business near the WNY next week.
      Would you like for me to present a letter for you?
      Security much tighter since the shooting at WNY.
      With no CAC card there was the traditional paperwork.
      Nothing on display from the list of interest.

16-inch barrel on display ( not from the IOWA's )

The USS Barry is still moored.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
        Security much tighter since the shooting at WNY.
        With no CAC card there was the traditional paperwork.
        Nothing on display from the list of interest.

16-inch barrel on display ( not from the IOWA's )

The USS Barry is still moored.
        Great photos. However I think that particular 16"/50 is the HEAVY barrel production piece. To keep within Treaty Limitations, the Iowa class Battleships had the LIGHTWEIGHT model installed. As I understand it, the weapons designers felt a little queasy about using a lighter barrel but were relieved when tests at Dahlgren (and later from the BB's themselves) that it exceeded expectations.

One way to tell that is a heavy barrel is that extra sleeve about three quarters of the way back from the muzzle. The barrels installed on the ships have no extra bands around them. Only a longitudinal key-way (looks like a 3" X 1/2" flat bar welded on it) that is the alignment bar so the barrel is properly indexed for breech block alignment. Also the outside diameter of the above barrel at the muzzle appears to be larger than the 25" diameter of those used on the Iowas.

Whether they were ever used or not, they are still very impressive. Thanks for the photos.

As for checking on other displays, a few months ago it was reported that the Washington Navy Yard museum will move to slightly smaller quarters and they needed to get rid of some of their displays. The new location was hinted that it would be more accessible to the public as well.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• I have a question:

I've read here and there for years that Wisconsin is the longest of the Iowas, having gained a few inches when the bow of Kentucky was attached to her.

Is that true? Seems like if they cut it off at the same place and welded it back on correctly, it should be the same, right? Unless Kentucky was slightly different.

On the Wisconsin's FB page, the person in charge of the page says it's a myth. Sounds reasonable, just wondered where it came from and was there anything to it?

Comment

• Question about the 16-inch barrel pictured in post #1472.

Looking square at the muzzle the rifling is clearly visible as well as what appears to be an inner piece inside the overall barrel.

Is that what is called the barrel sleeve? Do the barrels have to be removed from the gun turret to replace the sleeve--and thus the rifling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
              I have a question:

I've read here and there for years that Wisconsin is the longest of the Iowas, having gained a few inches when the bow of Kentucky was attached to her.

Is that true? Seems like if they cut it off at the same place and welded it back on correctly, it should be the same, right? Unless Kentucky was slightly different.

On the Wisconsin's FB page, the person in charge of the page says it's a myth. Sounds reasonable, just wondered where it came from and was there anything to it?
              No, the WISKY is still the same OVERALL length as when built. Only the lower two-thirds of the bow was replaced from the Kentucky's bow. That lower section is well aft of the forepeak (20mm gun tubs and wind deflector) at just about the forward perpindcular. Photos of BB-66 after "donating" her hull section show a Battleship's forepeak section up on deck. But that was KENTUCK's forepeak, not WISKY's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnet View Post
                Question about the 16-inch barrel pictured in post #1472.

Looking square at the muzzle the rifling is clearly visible as well as what appears to be an inner piece inside the overall barrel.

Is that what is called the barrel sleeve? Do the barrels have to be removed from the gun turret to replace the sleeve--and thus the rifling?
                Yes, that inner sleeve is actually the barrel liner that is machined with the lands and grooves. But when it wears out, it cannot be replaced aboard ship because it is sweated in place at an Army Ordnance factory on the East Coast.

The outer sections of the barrel are heated up and at the same time the liner is cooled with Dry Ice and Acetone. When the liner shrinks enough and the outer sleeves expand, it can then be easily slipped off.

Ummm, but that still takes a lot of heavy machinery and a bit of acreage.

A new sleeve is then inserted the same way with the outer sections heated up and the sleeve kept cold. When the sleeve is slipped in, the the entire barrel assembly is quickly dunked into a quenching pit of cooling oil. The end of the sleeve, prortuding past the muzzle is then trimmed off.

The barrels aboard a Battleship do experience stretching of the inner sleeve where it starts to extend past the muzzle. But a shipyard availability is not necessarily needed to trim the sleeve as each ship has the machine to mount on the end of the barrel and the Machinist Mates get to do some precise "turret lathe" work but with a vertical work base rather than flat on the ground.

Comment

• I'm going on a cruise soon and looking for some good IOWA-RELATED reading material to kick back with? Besides Rusty's book and Stillwell's books on NJ and Missouri, any other recommended reading about the Iowas, or for that matter battleships in general? Interested more in post WWII stuff...

Comment

• Another view ...

The lighting on this photo provides a slightly better appreciation for the third Band Mr. L refers too.
                    Here are a couple of practice rounds shot from the USS New Jersey....
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
                      I'm going on a cruise soon and looking for some good IOWA-RELATED reading material to kick back with? Besides Rusty's book and Stillwell's books on NJ and Missouri, any other recommended reading about the Iowas, or for that matter battleships in general? Interested more in post WWII stuff...
                      I recommend Malcolm Muir's book, The Iowa Class Battleships: Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri & Wisconsin; lots of good stuff in there, particularly the appendices (for those technically inclined).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Iowa-Class.../dp/0713717327
                      Last edited by Stitch; 14 Feb 16,, 08:13. Reason: Added Resource
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• In 2003 I spent the better part of a day at the Washington Navy Yard. What an amazing place! The museum was great along with all of the artifacts outside like the guns and propellers and such. Got to see the library and Naval Historical Center. So much history there. It was a day I shall never forget.

Comment

• Plans/Dimensions for Iowa Class 16" Turret Fittings

Question: Does anyone know of a source for plans of Iowa Class 16" Turret fittings:

1. Rangefinder hoods
                          2. Pointer/Trainer Hoods
                          3. Periscopes.
                          (any other details).

The turret plans I have acquired only define the interfaces and that these components are being supplied from other sources. Oddly, the hoods in the builder's plans do not look like the ones actually installed.

Comment

• Different stuff on an IOWA BB ....

Things not as they appear today ....

Not to stray from the previous question asked ... were these rungs on the stern found on all IOWA -class BB's?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
                              Question: Does anyone know of a source for plans of Iowa Class 16" Turret fittings:

1. Rangefinder hoods
                              2. Pointer/Trainer Hoods
                              3. Periscopes.
                              (any other details).

The turret plans I have acquired only define the interfaces and that these components are being supplied from other sources. Oddly, the hoods in the builder's plans do not look like the ones actually installed.
                              I'll have to dig through my filing cabinet drawers. I think I may have some plans you could use. However, I don't think I have any of the Range Finder Hoods.

But you can contact The Scale Shipyard who casts the turrets, hoods & barrels out of resin. If your model is 1:96, he has them in stock or at least the molds to cast them.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                                Things not as they appear today ....

Not to stray from the previous question asked ... were these rungs on the stern found on all IOWA -class BB's?
                                Yes they were. In the days when the ships carried float planes, that was the way the deck crew could climb down to hook up the B&A crane to lift the plane out of the water. Also used for the pilot to climb back up onto the ship before the lift.

In the 80's however, they were no longer needed as the catapults and float planes were of a by-gone era. The only thing sticking out of the transom was a double square bolster for fairlieading out the Nixie torpedo decoys.

Comment

Working...
                                X