Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To begin with, I'm not too sure of what the item is that is welded to that large column. At the bottom of the item is obviously an electrical cable stuffing tube. Below that appears to be a cable support made out of 1" X 1/8" steel.

There are too many layers of paint to identify what the part is. There appears to be a lever on the right to open up a junction box (I think). To the left (through the deteriorated weld) you can see an opening into the column.

As for the weld, again there's too much paint to positively identify what went wrong. But there is enough bumpiness to strongly indicate the "welder" used straight polarity to just pour on loads of welding rod to make the item stick to the column. In straight polarity, the majority of the heat of the arc is in the welding rod and just plumps in molten metal without actually fusing the base metals together.

There is obviously no oscillation curls that would be evident of reverse polarity. In reverse polarity of heat from the arc is in the base metal to fuse it to itself with the weld only as a filler bead.

But since there is no obvious use for this item with an empty stuffing tube, just cut it off and weld a curved doubler patch over it (grind off that cruddy weld first though).
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 07 May 11,, 01:29.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Perhaps a point of repetative stress? That may explain it but doesnt explain why it was not gouged out and cleaned up before welding. It appears someone welded over a weld and it disintigrated. Maybe wrong heat setting could be to blame as well or perhaps two metals that could not be joined without the proper rod.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        Perhaps a point of repetative stress? That may explain it but doesnt explain why it was not gouged out and cleaned up before welding. It appears someone welded over a weld and it disintigrated. Maybe wrong heat setting could be to blame as well or perhaps two metals that could not be joined without the proper rod.
        And since the object is obviously not serving any real purpose, just cut the darn thing off, weld a plate over the hole in the column to prevent any more moisture/water getting in to rust it out from the inside.

You may want to drill a hole near the bottom and thread it for a bolt after draining out any standing water that may be in there. Spray a preservative through the hole (or pump in Coal Tar Epoxy that we use in CHT tanks) to prevent any further rusting. Then seal it with a bolt and with a thick rubber gasket/washer between the bolt head's washer and the column.

Comment

• Paint question.

Building a quick 1/700 scale New Jersey. Know that the tops of the turrets were Haze Grey (modern) The Non skid aft were deck grey. But what color were the decks on the superstructure? I think that the T-hawk decks was Deck Grey/non-skid but how about the rest. In many pics weatherdecks, not planked, look to be the same color as the vertical surfaces (Haze Grey).

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Paint question.

Building a quick 1/700 scale New Jersey. Know that the tops of the turrets were Haze Grey (modern) The Non skid aft were deck grey. But what color were the decks on the superstructure? I think that the T-hawk decks was Deck Grey/non-skid but how about the rest. In many pics weatherdecks, not planked, look to be the same color as the vertical surfaces (Haze Grey).
            Sounds like a question for our New Jersey Expert - Dreadnought :)

Love your new avatar, the TARDIS, Dr Who is an enduring favorite show of mine, I started following the Doctor in the Tom Baker years.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Paint question.

For some reason, exporting from Corel into a JPEG or BMP doesn't carry the color of the teak decking. But you can tell by this grey scale repro what portions of the decks (of a modernized IOWA) are teak wood.

All other decks were deck gray.
              Attached Files

Comment

• A descent pic of the Deck Grey used for the 01 level, the rest of your upper decks are more or less a Haze Grey. And You are correct about the Tomahawk decks as being Deck Grey although a bit lighter in color then this pic. I will see if I can post others that will show the difference in color.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 May 11,, 21:57.

Comment

• A few more shots of the deck and background.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Tops of your 5"/38's and Turrets are the darker grey with haze highlites on the fitting and borders.

This is a good shot to show the different shades:http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016205f.jpg

Ill be back aboard this week Gunny and I'll snap a few pics of the decks and post to give a clearer picture..

*We also just opened our US Marine MarDet display to the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvszS74bUyw
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 May 11,, 22:01.

Comment

Tops of your 5"/38's and Turrets are the darker grey with haze highlites on the fitting and borders.

This is a good shot to show the different shades:http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016205f.jpg

Ill be back aboard this week Gunny and I'll snap a few pics of the decks and post to give a clearer picture..

*We also just opened our US Marine MarDet display to the public.

YouTube - Marine Detachment BB-62
                      I agree that painting the turret tops (& 5"/38 Mount tops) deck gray is better looking. But that all depends upon what color scheme is ordered. If the ship were to be designated to the South Pacific (or hotter) area, Haze Gray helps reflect some heat.

The only really important difference is the helicopter deck must be painted almost dead flat black to highlight the touchdown circle and line up markings.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Thank you all.

This is the Jersey circa 1983. Turret tops were haze gray as the bow. That much I remember, and verified through photos.

She came from PacFlt which, as Rusty said, would explain the lighter color on the turrets.

So, upper decks, except for T-hawk and R2D2 decks were Haze Grey?

This is not a pic of my project. But does represent the normal paint job according to the instructions. The T-Hawk deck is Haze Grey, as is the deck plating from Frame 182-193 per Rustys flight deck diagram. I've seen pictures, from the same era. Some show a lighter section. Some show standard Dark Grey is it a trick of light or was the deck painted with the lighter section as a visual reference for helo pilots?

For the T-Hawk deck, from a safety standpoint I would have thought it would be Dark Grey Non-skid. Did that come later or are the model instructions, as typical, wrong?

Why am I getting so Anal over a 1/700 fun build?

Just wait till I do my WW2 1/350 Missouri. Haven't decided if I should do her "early" when she wore the Atlantic M32-22D scheme or the always done M22 she wore in Tokyo Bay.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all.

This is the Jersey circa 1983. Turret tops were haze gray as the bow. That much I remember, and verified through photos.

She came from PacFlt which, as Rusty said, would explain the lighter color on the turrets.

So, upper decks, except for T-hawk and R2D2 decks were Haze Grey?

This is not a pic of my project. But does represent the normal paint job according to the instructions. The T-Hawk deck is Haze Grey, as is the deck plating from Frame 182-193 per Rustys flight deck diagram. I've seen pictures, from the same era. Some show a lighter section. Some show standard Dark Grey is it a trick of light or was the deck painted with the lighter section as a visual reference for helo pilots?

For the T-Hawk deck, from a safety standpoint I would have thought it would be Dark Grey Non-skid. Did that come later or are the model instructions, as typical, wrong?

Why am I getting so Anal over a 1/700 fun build?

Just wait till I do my WW2 1/350 Missouri. Haven't decided if I should do her "early" when she wore the Atlantic M32-22D scheme or the always done M22 she wore in Tokyo Bay.
                          Crop from picture on page 41 of "Dreadnaught 83-84" (USS New Jersey Cruise Book)

The Chief Engineer came into the Coppersmith's Shop and presented a copy to my Dad long ago.

Comment

• < Feels about pretty dumb right now knowing i have a book (about 6 feet away) of pictures of her from her last time at sea. Will be back with answers. My bad.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 May 11,, 06:18.

Comment

< Feels about pretty dumb right now knowing i have a book (about 6 feet away) of pictures of her from her last time at sea. Will be back with answers. My bad.
                              Ok this is a list of links for photos of her in 1983-1986. The last link in bold will give you an idea of the different shades of greys and blacks.
                              http://www.maritimequest.com/warship...4/ddg14_01.JPG

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162049.jpg

http://www.timjacobs.com/images/1980...Jersey_012.jpg

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/umrcour...ma%20Canal.jpg

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/BBNJ20.JPG

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/entering_HK_Jul86.JPG

http://www.the-blueprints.com/bluepr...ersey-1983.gif

Her paint job was pretty standard throughout 1983-1991 and didnt change color wise but the sun does bleach it pretty well. Hope these help.
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 May 11,, 06:24.

Comment

• You will also notice that the photo Dread shows is of the helo deck with the angled line-up line. This was criticized, discussed and cursed by the helo pilots who had to fight the turbulence off the superstructure forward.

It didn't take long to come out with the pilots recommendations for a centerline line-up line as shown in my drawing in an above post.

Comment

Working...
                                X