Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still on my list are measured drawings for Harpoon, CWIS, and Tomahawk. I am surprised how hard these are to find, especially the CWIS.

Comment

• BJS wrote -
      Still on my list are measured drawings for Harpoon, CWIS, and Tomahawk. I am surprised how hard these are to find, especially the CWIS.
      Well, think about it - these are current weapon systems. The USN isn't going to just hand out detailed plans for these to the public. Not like the 5"/38 mounts, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by bbvet View Post
        BJS wrote -

Well, think about it - these are current weapon systems. The USN isn't going to just hand out detailed plans for these to the public. Not like the 5"/38 mounts, etc.
        You'd be surprised what information you can get on current weapons systems. I once asked for information to fill in gaps on the operation of a chain gun. They asked why I wanted it. I said I was reading a book and needed clarification. Then they sent me enough information to build a chain gun.

More to the point, I can't figure out why this keeps showing up in my image search results for "PHALANX CIWS MEASUREMENTS" on GOOGLE.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...8#h=1280&w=853

Comment

• BJS wrote:
          More to the point, I can't figure out why this keeps showing up in my image search results for "PHALANX CIWS MEASUREMENTS" on GOOGLE.
          Seriously??? You're questioning that???? We're going to have to have an appointment made for you at the shrink's office :Dancing-Banana: LOL!!!!

But to the topic at hand - I'm surprised that modern weapons systems are not closely guarded secrets. Shows how a liberal bent society slowly loses it's edge. And - I do like detailed drawings, don't get me wrong!

Hms

Comment

• Originally posted by bbvet View Post
            BJS wrote:

But to the topic at hand - I'm surprised that modern weapons systems are not closely guarded secrets. Shows how a liberal bent society slowly loses it's edge. And - I do like detailed drawings, don't get me wrong!
            Modern weapon systems are guarded. But the ones in question, T-hawk R2D2, Harpoon, Chain guns, are 1970s tech

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              Modern weapon systems are guarded. But the ones in question, T-hawk R2D2, Harpoon, Chain guns, are 1970s tech
              Plus, they are sitting in museum ships where someone can take a tape measure to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
                Thanks much. I actually had the support leading to the antennas but, as so often happens with 3d modeling, I forgot to include those supports.

In regard to the SPS-49 mount, big thanks. I am totally guessing. I have not found any measurements for any of the antennae. SPS-10, SPS-49, SATCOM, and others. I have some clearer pictures of the Iowa but don't see it there. I don't see the cone that you describe on the Iowa pictures but I do see it on SPS-49 mounts on other ships. The distance shots I have of the NJ clearly show a mount that is different from that on the Iowa.

If anyone has measured drawing of these antennae, I'm looking!
                SPS-49 antenna parameters :
                * width : 24.0 ft / 7.3 m
                * height : 14.2 ft / 4.3 m
                * rotating clearance : 28.4 ft / 8.7 m diameter

Comment

• Thanks,

There really should be an effort to located and preserve any remaining documentation on the Iowas. I may be asking a lot of questions but I have done A LOT of research before asking them. For example, go to the National Archives to find details on the Iowa class stacks. Images like this are all that are left with all the details obliterated:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Stack Rotated.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	1469521

If you want details on the armored conning tower, the National Archives has that in print with every detail. But, for most things, there is little more than blurry microfilm that was made with little care.

All this will be lost forever if any surviving drawings are not gathered up.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
                    Still on my list are measured drawings for Harpoon, CWIS, and Tomahawk. I am surprised how hard these are to find, especially the CWIS.
                    Harpoon :
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Try this website that supposedly has the software you need on the CIWS:

http://www.winsite.com/vulcan/vulcan...+gun/freeware/
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• As for dimensions of the ABL, remember that TWO different companies built them. General Dynamics built all those on BB-61, BB-63 & BB-64. On BB-62 however, the aft two ABL's on the after 03 level were built by FMC (Food Machinery Corporation). AND they take a slightly different design in the foundations. I know because I had to design those foundations for their tests on the USS Merril, one for GD and one for FMC.

Then when the Battleships came along, I had to make sure that the proper ABL went on its matching foundation.

Whew! Where's my martini?
                        Last edited by RustyBattleship; 17 Oct 16,, 06:16.

Comment

• Thanks all. I've started work using the information provided. I still have to do supports.

I am going for a level of detail that can be reproduced in 1:96 to 1:192 scale.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.33.49 AM.png
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1469528

Comment

• A very nice perspective drawing of a STANDARD Harpoon launcher. On the Battleships, they have exstra sleeves of tubing ( 1.5" thick walls) to meet level (####) for fragmentation protection.

Also the blast deflector is shaped like a large dust pan (but without the handle).

Contact W. Upshaw at the [email protected] for more detailed info (possibly some dimensions) as he has built all those items in 1:96 scale for his 9'-3" long RC model of BB-62.

Comment

• This is what I've got with the information that I've got. No stanchions and ladders yet.

Name:	Harpoon 3.jpg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1469580

Comment

• Question on Superstructure

In the attached I have an image showing the outline of the Iowa deckhouse at the main deck level (red). The numeric data in the plans shows a knuckle at the black line.

In the modernizations the supports for the Phalanx, Tomahawk, and Harpoon platforms are roughly show in yellow.

From pictures it looks like the outer face of this support is flat and and parallel to the center line and aligned with the deckhouse below. Yet, it would sit above this knuckle.

Does anyone know what was done here? Is there a knuckle here at all? If so, does the support above bend to follow this knuckle? Or was something else done?

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 7.44.19 PM.png
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1469590

Comment

Working...
                                X