This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    I'll have to dig through my filing cabinet drawers. I think I may have some plans you could use. However, I don't think I have any of the Range Finder Hoods.
    Thanks. The problem with computer modeling is you have to be so $#*& precise.

I have details like this:

But, as you can see, only the holes for the hoods, and not the hoods themselves. The microfilm says they will be supplied separately.

Comment

• Perfect sense ...

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Yes they were. In the days when the ships carried float planes, that was the way the deck crew could climb down to hook up the B&A crane to lift the plane out of the water. Also used for the pilot to climb back up onto the ship before the lift.

In the 80's however, they were no longer needed as the catapults and float planes were of a by-gone era. The only thing sticking out of the transom was a double square bolster for fairlieading out the Nixie torpedo decoys.
      Very good information ,,,, it also helps date the model. Had I known to ask some questions about the models while visiting WNY who knows what might of happen.
      An example is the Advanced Base Sectional Drydock....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by blidgepump; 18 Feb 16,, 05:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
        Very good information ,,,, it also helps date the model. Had I known to ask some questions about the models while visiting WNY who knows what might of happen.
        An example is the Advanced Base Sectional Drydock....
        Ah yes. The ABLs. They were built in 7 to 9 sections. For transport (or storage) the dry dock walls were hinged and lowered down into the well. LBNSY had an ABL berthed at the mole and they sat there for ages (see the map on page 432 of my book. We did not use it because we already had the huge Dry Dock 1 to berth anything and every thing up to a Forrestal class Aircraft Carrier. Eventually it was giving to Guam for ship repair work. Later it was transferred to Subic Pay in the Phillipines. While I was there one time I took a few minutes watching the assembly. A very good Phillipino friend of mine (actually a Moro from Mindnao) was the Quarterman rigger supervisor directing the reassembly.

But after the Marcos regime was overcome, the new rulers of P.I. decided to raise the rent of Subic Bay to an astronomical figure. Since Clark AFB had already been buried under volcanic dust, the USA decided to abandon it.

The Viet Nam war had ended so combat strikes out of Clark and Cubi Point were no longer needed. So the P.I's government wanted to make up for the lost of rental income with Clark AFB closed and a reduction of personnel at Subic.

Well, that just gave President George Bush a good excuse to close another Military Base during the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) committee butchering - er - meetings. You would have thought with the closure of Clark and Subic it would have (should have) taken LBNSY off the list.

But politics (both local and Federal) kept the shipayrd on the butcher list.

So, we removed everything we could out of Subic. NINE 16"/50 gun barrels stowed there (originally intended for re-gunning the New Jersey during her Viet Nam deployment) were sent to LNBSY (one of them got "misplaced' on the side lawn of the Los Angeles Maritime Museum) while the other 8 got cut up for scrap.

Finally, the ABL had its side walls lowered and the sections towed to Hawaii. Unfortunately some of them have been used for target practice (or so I have been told) and the others are just languishing in Pearl Harbor.

Boy, I sure wish they could have remained intact as I would find a place for them that wold not only benefit the Iowa but any other shipyard in the area.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Just a question for the ship experts out here. Not about BBs but about the modern CVNs....... I've seen pictures of modern Super Carriers with jackstaffs at the bow while in port. But during flight operations or at sea, the jackstaff is not present for obvious reasons.

My question is, where is the jackstaff stored when not in use?

Comment

• Originally posted by modelbuilter View Post
            Just a question for the ship experts out here. Not about BBs but about the modern CVNs....... I've seen pictures of modern Super Carriers with jackstaffs at the bow while in port. But during flight operations or at sea, the jackstaff is not present for obvious reasons.

My question is, where is the jackstaff stored when not in use?
            ABH's/V-1 own the flight deck. It's in one of their spaces.
            "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

• Saw this cool video of some of the off limits areas on the Iowa. Question: What are all the red tags that seem to be all over the place? Lots on the bridge and in the gun plot rooms, also engineering. What are they for? I didn't see any of those on the New Jersey.

Here's a link to the video.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW83U4bkC_k

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
                Saw this cool video of some of the off limits areas on the Iowa. Question: What are all the red tags that seem to be all over the place? Lots on the bridge and in the gun plot rooms, also engineering. What are they for? I didn't see any of those on the New Jersey.

Those are danger tags, meaning that equipment is "tagged out" and is secured for maintenance or repair. Basically those tags mean you can kill someone by energizing those circuits or running water/steam through fixtures.

So don't gundeck your maintenance, shipmate. Messing up a tag out or failing to tag out your equipment is a quick ticket to the Mast Express.
                Last edited by Squirrel; 30 Jun 16,, 22:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                  Those are danger tags, meaning that equipment is "tagged out" and is secured for maintenance or repair. Basically those tags mean you can kill someone by energizing those circuits or running water/steam through fixtures.

So don't gundeck your maintenance, shipmate. Messing up a tag out or failing to tag out your equipment is a quick ticket to the Mast Express.
                  I fully agree. One of the last fatal casualties we had at LBNSY was where the switch for elevating the aircraft elevator stanchions was not red tagged. I forget which Carrier it was on, but while a technician was working on the system, he was lying over the top of the depressed stanchions. When they were erroneously elevated, he was literally impaled on one of them and pinned to the overhead bordering the elevator platform.

In other words, if it is RED tagged; DON'T TOUCH.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    I fully agree. One of the last fatal casualties we had at LBNSY was where the switch for elevating the aircraft elevator stanchions was not red tagged. I forget which Carrier it was on, but while a technician was working on the system, he was lying over the top of the depressed stanchions. When they were erroneously elevated, he was literally impaled on one of them and pinned to the overhead bordering the elevator platform.

In other words, if it is RED tagged; DON'T TOUCH.
                    That is an awful way to lose a life. Personally, I found PMA to be more dangerous than being u/w. It's a freaking circus. Unfortunately, no matter how much the command may stress safety and keeping your head on a swivel, these things happen. And usually it's not the casualty's fault.

I know that Sailors and contractors might have a somewhat contentious relationship, but at the end of the day we rely on eachother.

Comment

Saw this cool video of some of the off limits areas on the Iowa. Question: What are all the red tags that seem to be all over the place? Lots on the bridge and in the gun plot rooms, also engineering. What are they for? I didn't see any of those on the New Jersey.

My shot of the lookout, O11, and O12 I believe
                      Attached Files

Comment

• This maybe the same shot
                        Attached Files

Comment

• So why didn't I see any of those tags on the New Jersey, but they're all over the Iowa? I thought all the restrictions on the Iowa and Wisconsin had been lifted, and the museums were free to do whatever they wanted at this point, even if it meant compromising the ship's military utility or ability to be reactivated if needed.

Comment

So why didn't I see any of those tags on the New Jersey, but they're all over the Iowa? I thought all the restrictions on the Iowa and Wisconsin had been lifted, and the museums were free to do whatever they wanted at this point, even if it meant compromising the ship's military utility or ability to be reactivated if needed.
                            You thought wrong, apparently.

If you go look at the donation agreement, it specifically says the museums are to maintain the ships in the same condition they received them in. And that's AFTER they came off inactive reserve. Pretty much means they can't change them any way they want.

Comment

• Isn't the Missouri in the best shape after Wisconsin?

Comment

Isn't the Missouri in the best shape after Wisconsin?
                                That's probably one for Rusty, but I'd think Missouri is in the best shape of all, since she was just out of the water a few years ago and totally sandblasted and repainted. I think she might get a little more "attention", given her location in Pearl Harbor.

But again, that's really one for Rusty. Judging by the pics of Iowa, looks like her innards are in fine shape as well, and other than the obvious with Turret 2 being inop, she might well be in the best shape.

Comment

Working...
                                X