X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    It's an enlarged & modified version.
    No enlargement, it's the exact same hull. The modifications - basically a bow thruster, a different genset and upgraded electronics - are the exact same as those made for F-105 Cristobal Colon (and the cancelled ship F-106) laid down 3 years before Hobart.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
      No enlargement, it's the exact same hull. The modifications - basically a bow thruster, a different genset and upgraded electronics - are the exact same as those made for F-105 Cristobal Colon (and the cancelled ship F-106) laid down 3 years before Hobart.
      I wrote "enlarged" because it's roughly 700 tones heavier...

Comment

• How does AEGIS work?

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        You are puting diferent equipments into one bag. AEGIS is not a radar, it's an integrated system of various electronics, the most known and visible being the Phased Array SPY-1 search radar; emphasis on search. While the radar can also control multiple missiles in flight, final (terminal) guidance is still the job of dedicated, separate, systems.

It's an enlarged & modified version.
        So, SPY-1 doesn't have enough resolution for terminal guidance? Because it's S-band?

Can Mark 99 illuminators engage multiple targets simultaneously by mechanically slewing the antenna like PD radars on fighters?

If the SAM has terminal guidance of its own, then Mark 99 is basically not required?

Does it mean that Hobart can engage many aerial targets in rapid succession butnot simultaneously by using SPY-1 for mid-course guidance and Mark 99 for sequential terminal guidance?
        Last edited by hboGYT; 06 Feb 20,, 20:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
          So, SPY-1 doesn't have enough resolution for terminal guidance? Because it's S-band?

Can Mark 99 illuminators engage multiple targets simultaneously by mechanically slewing the antenna like PD radars on fighters?

If the SAM has terminal guidance of its own, then Mark 99 is basically not required?

Does it mean that Hobart can engage many aerial targets in rapid succession butnot simultaneously by using SPY-1 for mid-course guidance and Mark 99 for sequential terminal guidance?
          The SPY-1 radar provides mid-course guidance data to get the missile in the vicinity of the target

The SAM targets using semi-active homing, requiring the MK99 antenna to illuminate the target with continuous wave RF. The missile uses this like you would use a flashlight to look for something in a dark room. The MK99 can only illuminate one target at a time. The reflected energy is necessary for precise timing to trigger the proximity warhead.

The SPY-1 can provide mid-course guidance data to multiple missiles at a time. The target must be illuminated during the time the missile will engage it.

Comment

• What is under here? What is that exhaust for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arleigh-Burke-class-020.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	1579783

Comment

• What boat is that?

(Edit never mind Flt 1 Burke)
              Last edited by Gun Grape; 12 Jan 22,, 03:13.

Comment

• Its the Generator exhaust

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Its the Generator exhaust
                  Dam, I was kind of hoping it would be the hickory smoker or maybe a would fired pizza oven!
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    Its the Generator exhaust
                    That makes sense, thank you for taking the time to answer! I see that the Burke-class has three generators installed, the other two exhausts are located with the main funnels.
                    Last edited by JA Boomer; 12 Jan 22,, 08:08.

Comment

• With the threat of small boats and unconventional warfare these days, warships have been adding 20-35 mm cannon mounts for self-protection. But the line of fire directly ahead of the ship has always seemed to be a weak spot to me. Why have we not yet seen a "prow gun" such as depicted below?

Name:	Prow Gun.png
Views:	86
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1580301

Comment

• Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                        With the threat of small boats and unconventional warfare these days, warships have been adding 20-35 mm cannon mounts for self-protection. But the line of fire directly ahead of the ship has always seemed to be a weak spot to me. Why have we not yet seen a "prow gun" such as depicted below?
                        Mostly due to excessive exposure to seawater I would imagine.

There are pintle mounts for .50 caliber machine guns right at the bows of the Burkes, among others, I'm sure, but they're able to be removed or reinstalled as needed.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          Mostly due to excessive exposure to seawater I would imagine.

There are pintle mounts for .50 caliber machine guns right at the bows of the Burkes, among others, I'm sure, but they're able to be removed or reinstalled as needed.
                          Ah, yes. I wondered if salt water corrosion would be a huge problem at that location. Still, with the rake of the bow/prow on ships like the Arleigh Burke-class, I do wonder if that location is any worse than where the 5" is mounted.

Comment

With the threat of small boats and unconventional warfare these days, warships have been adding 20-35 mm cannon mounts for self-protection. But the line of fire directly ahead of the ship has always seemed to be a weak spot to me. Why have we not yet seen a "prow gun" such as depicted below?

Name:	Prow Gun.png
Views:	86
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1580301
                            Wouldn't frontal by small boats be much less likely in most circumstances? In open waters, given their size they are either going to want to ram or if not ram, 'rake' the length of the ship with light weapons. Bow on doesn't seem like right angle for them to try and approach. Just asking BTW.
                            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

Wouldn't frontal by small boats be much less likely in most circumstances? In open waters, given their size they are either going to want to ram or if not ram, 'rake' the length of the ship with light weapons. Bow on doesn't seem like right angle for them to try and approach. Just asking BTW.
                              I have no clue, but it seems to me you have to successfully approach a warship via small watercraft before you can attack it. I've yet to see a design whose bow is protected by anything better than crew served .50 caliber mounts as TopHattermentioned. By comparison, the rest of the approach vectors are now usually covered by automated cannon/CIWS emplacements.

Comment

Ah, yes. I wondered if salt water corrosion would be a huge problem at that location. Still, with the rake of the bow/prow on ships like the Arleigh Burke-class, I do wonder if that location is any worse than where the 5" is mounted.
                                I think another consideration, possibly more so than saltwater corrosion, is just the sheer force of waves slamming into gear at the bow.

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X