This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Gunny, by the M198 I assume you mean in service in other nations cause the M777 has replaced it in US service.
    Thanks for making me feel even more ancient

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Thanks for making me feel even more ancient
      Happy to help.

And hell, 3 different uniforms I wore are in the US Army Quartermaster Museum so how do you think I feel?!?!?
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

We are still using the 105mm M119 (L118 to you probably) in light, airborne and air assault units.
        Yes but for how long? Everything I see tells me the 105 is on borrowed time. After all even by your own admission what does the 105 represent as a % of most western nations indirect fire support throw weight?
        Last edited by Monash; 07 Feb 22,, 11:24.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Happy to help.

And hell, 3 different uniforms I wore are in the US Army Quartermaster Museum so how do you think I feel?!?!?
          Let me guess (from personnel experience). Like you should be stuffed and mounted in the museum alongside the uniforms. Under the category 'Old Soldier'?
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Ah, you don't need to be old to feel the generations.

The MAN SE 7-ton trucks i served on in the army were basically as old as i was (i think the four in my squad were all built around my birthday +-1 year). They were decommissioned as surplus a few years later and sold to the civilian Technical Assistance Corps civil-protection outfit.

Over here they began retiring their entire fleet of these trucks for a new model last year...

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

Yes but for how long? Everything I see tells me the 105 is on borrowed time. After all even by your own admission what does the 105 represent as a % of most western nations indirect fire support throw weight?
              For light, airborne & air assault forces? For quite sometime, actually. The issue is not the size and weight of the howitzer...though at 9,500 pounds with all gear the M777 is almost twice the weight of the M119A3's 5100 pounds...is the size of the prime mover needed and the size & weight of the shell.

A UH-60 can sling load an M119...it cannot do so on to M777. You need a CH-47 for that. A HMMWV can tow an M119 with crew...you need an FMTV to pull an M777. And the 105mm shells are lot lighter and smaller than the 155mm. So until you can overcome the prime mover requirements, the mobility requirements, ammunition size & weight the 105mm will continue to give service in the US military for at least 20 more years.

And the increases in accuracy and lethality of the 105mm round makes it still relevant. The 155 already has the GPS guided EXCALIBUR HE shell. There is a 105mm version in development today.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

Let me guess (from personnel experience). Like you should be stuffed and mounted in the museum alongside the uniforms. Under the category 'Old Soldier'?
                Yeah...Valley Forge sucked!
                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X