• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f-14 got replaced by fa-18.
    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by Aranthus View Post
      My understanding was that American carrier air groups in the 60's through 80's were between 90 and 100 planes. Two fighter squadrons, two light attack, one heavy attack, an S-3 squadron and supporting ECM, AEW, tanker, etc. Now, it seems as if the CAG is down to about 80-90 planes, with only one fighter squadron. Why is this? Is it due to the growth in the size and capability of aircraft? Cost cutting? Some other reason?
      2 fighter squadrons not one. But as 1979 stated, the main reason is that the Navy got the F-18. It replaced not only the F-14 but the other platforms as well (A-6/A-7/F-4)

Its more capable so there isn't the need for as many aircraft.

Comment

What US Navy ship has the most Battle Stars?

Not the most decorated ship. Thats USS Parche.

Is there a list on the internet for reference?

I know that USS Enterprise was awarded the most in WW2. 20 out of a possible 22.

The most I've found post WW2, that also included WW2 service was USS Nicholas, DD-449. ( A Fletcher) With a total of 30

She earned 16 in WW2, 5 in Korea and 9 in Vietnam.
        Last edited by Gun Grape; 08 Feb 12,, 00:07.

Comment

In this picture it seems like an arrangement for a hybrid STOBAR and CATOBAR system for the Russian Navy.

this is not a direct question but I would like to know expert feed back upon it.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            What US Navy ship has the most Battle Stars?

Not the most decorated ship. Thats USS Parche.

Is there a list on the internet for reference?

I know that USS Enterprise was awarded the most in WW2. 20 out of a possible 22.

The most I've found post WW2, that also included WW2 service was USS Nicholas, DD-449. ( A Fletcher) With a total of 30

She earned 16 in WW2, 5 in Korea and 9 in Vietnam.
            How about this one?

Battle Record of the USS New Jersey
            Awards and Decorations
            First Row: Combat Action Ribbon and Navy Unit Commendation with Bronze Star
            Second Row: Navy "E" Ribbon, Navy Expeditionary Medal, China Service Medal
            Third Row: American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with 1 Silver and 4 Bronze Stars, World War II Victory Medal
            Fourth Row: Navy Occupation Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal with 1 Bronze Star, Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars
            Fifth Row: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with 3 Bronze Stars, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon
            Sixth Row: Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Commendation (Gallantry Cross Medal Color with Palm)
            Seventh Row: Philippine Liberation Medal, United Nations Service Medal, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Doesn't come close.

If it has been a BB like North Carolina, that went on and did the same tours that NJ did after, then it might have been in the running.

Even with all her post WW2 activity. She still has fewer battle Stars than USS Enterprise (CV-6)
              Last edited by Gun Grape; 13 Feb 12,, 00:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Aranthus View Post
                My understanding was that American carrier air groups in the 60's through 80's were between 90 and 100 planes. Two fighter squadrons, two light attack, one heavy attack, an S-3 squadron and supporting ECM, AEW, tanker, etc. Now, it seems as if the CAG is down to about 80-90 planes, with only one fighter squadron. Why is this? Is it due to the growth in the size and capability of aircraft? Cost cutting? Some other reason?
                Cost cutting has a great deal to do with it. Ever since the laughably misnamed post-Cold War "peace dividend", the Navy simply can't afford to buy and maintain the same number of squadrons that is used to. The A-12 debacle certainly didn't helps matters any either, considering that a couple billion dollars was pissed away for absolutely zero benefit. (and it ain't over yet)

As it turns out (and was already mentioned) aircraft and their ordnance are far more advanced and capable, so the numbers aren't quite as important as they used to be.

Ironically the smaller numbers of aircraft mean a relatively easier time of it for the deck and hanger crews...more room to move around.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Doesn't come close.

If it has been a BB like North Carolina, that went on and did the same tours that NJ did after, then it might have been in the running.

Even with all her post WW2 activity. She still has fewer battle Stars that USS Enterprise (CV-6)

Agreed, USS Enterprise was already awarded 9 Battle stars even before the USS New Jersey joined the Pacific fleet in early Jan 1944. Her first came between Dec 7th-Dec-10th 1941 for Anti-Submarine Action.

These are USS Enterprises actions for 20 battle stars.

1.Pearl Harbor
                  Anti-Submarine Action, Class B Assessment (December 7-10, 1941)

2.Pacific Raids
                  Marshall-Gilbert Islands (February 1, 1942)
                  Wake Island (February 24, 1942)
                  Marcus Island (March 4, 1942)

3.Battle of Midway (June 4-6, 1942)

4.Battle of Guadalcanal
                  Invasion by USMC 1st Division (August 7-9, 1942)

5.Capture and Defense of Guadalcanal (August 10-25, 1942)

6.Battle of the Eastern Solomons (August 24, 1942)

7.Battle of Santa Cruz (October 26, 1942)

8.Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (November 13-15, 1942)

9.Battle of Rennell Island (January 29-30, 1943)

10.Gilbert Islands Operations
                  Invasion of Makin Island (November 19 - December 4, 1943)

11.Marshall Islands Operations
                  Invasion of Kwajalein (January 28 - February 8, 1944)
                  Maloelap/Taroa Raid

12.Asiatic-Pacific Raids
                  Truk Islands (February 16-17, 1944) Palau, Yap, Ulithi, Woleai (March 30 - April 1, 1944) Truk Islands (April 29 - May 1, 1944)

13.Hollandia (New Guinea) Operations (April 21-24, 1944)
                  Invasion (April 22, 1944)

14. Mariana Islands Operations
                  Capture and Occupation of Saipan (June 11-24, 1944)
                  Mariana Turkey Shoot (June 19, 1944)
                  First Battle of the Philippine Sea (June 20, 1944)
                  "The night they turned on the lights" (June 20, 1944)

15. Western Pacific Operations
                  Raids on Bonin Islands, Chichi Jima (August 31 - September 2, 1944)
                  Raid on Caroline Islands, Yap (September 6, 1944)
                  Raid on Palau Islands (September 10-16, 1944)
                  Invasion and Capture of Peleliu (September 16, 1944)
                  Raid on Okinawa (October 10, 1944)
                  Raid on Formosa (October 12, 1944)
                  Raid on Manila (October 15-18, 1944

16. Invasion of Leyte Island/3rd Fleet Operations
                  Luzon Attacks (October 15 and 17-19, 1944)
                  Battle of Leyte Gulf (October 24-26, 1944)

17.Luzon Operations
                  Invasion of Luzon (January 6-7, 1945)
                  Formosa Raids (January 3, 4, 9, 15, 1945)
                  South China Sea Attacks (January 12-16, 1945)

18. Night Carrier Group 90/5th Fleet Raids
                  Tokyo and Honshu Raids (February 15-16, 1945)

19. Assault and Occupation of Iwo Jima (February 23 - March 12, 1945)

20.Okinawa Operations
                  Pre-Invasion Raids on Kyushu (March 18-20, 1945)
                  Invasion and Capture of Okinawa (April 7 - May 15, 1945)
                  Kyushu and Shikoku Raids (May 11-16, 1945)

Battle Stars

USS New Jersey did not recieve her first Battle star until the Marshall Islands campaign. Jan-March 1944.

USS New Jersey's Battle stars and citations.
                  http://www.ussnewjersey.com/hist_awd.htm
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Feb 12,, 00:04.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I don't disagree with the Enterprise. Admiral Halsey spent his last days trying to save the ship from the scrappers. It's really a shame too.

But I had to put in the New Jersey just because I'm slightly biased toward Battleships.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      I don't disagree with the Enterprise. Admiral Halsey spent his last days trying to save the ship from the scrappers. It's really a shame too.

But I had to put in the New Jersey just because I'm slightly biased toward Battleships.
                      I remember getting the "The Big E" when I was quite young and was thoroughly shocked near the end to find out they where planning on scrapping this great vessel. Once Admiral Halsey joined the battle, i thought for sure the decision would be changed. One of the saddest days for me back then finding out otherwise.

Comment

• A little know fact about Halsey. Although the Admiral had CV's under his belt (Enterprise,Hornet) from the Doolittle raid forward, he used the BB's as his flagship. South Dakota, New Jersey and Missouri. He hadnt earned his Aviator wings until the age of 50. He also refused to give up the "flying jackass" he had earned once he did.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Nuclear power in CVs vis-à-vis Boomers

India has developed a nuclear powered submarine from its ATV project.

It could be a silly question (my apologies :whome:), but how different would a nuclear reactor for a CV be from its submarine counterpart? Relatively how much more time would it take for India to possess the said technology (if they want it at all)?

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                            It could be a silly question (my apologies :whome:), but how different would a nuclear reactor for a CV be from its submarine counterpart? Relatively how much more time would it take for India to possess the said technology (if they want it at all)?
                            The technology is the same, it's mostly just a question of scale. (Even that can be skirted somewhat if willing to operate a large number of smaller reactors instead of one or two big ones, as was done with USS Enterprise.)
                            "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

• If the technology is the same then wouldn't it be more logical strategically and economically for the InN's Project 71-ADS program to implement nuclear instead of conventional fuel in its proposed/underconstruction CVs? Maybe not for IAC1, but IAC2?

Comment

• Originally posted by ace009 View Post
                                Does a modern day SSBN/ SSGN pose a threat to a Supercarrier? If yes, how much of a threat is it?
                                An Oscar SSGN in the area would make a CVBG commander quite uneasy.

Comment

Working...
                                X